Glock compensators?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Diesel McBadass, Oct 2, 2020.

1. Diesel McBadass

Diesel McBadass Tactically Epic

Want to comp my g45. Theres a million options. I only have experience with primary machine and parker mountain machine.

One thing, is it needs to run standard ammo, in shortage i cant be picky with what to practice with.

I have experience with 2 comps on my p10f, a primary machine and a parker mountain,
    both ran reliably with 115 grain and 124 and 147. No issue there

the primary machine wasnt super effective, the PMM is very good at comping.

Wondering what you all use that will compensate without needing custom loads. Im leaning towards PMM based on experience but there are a million options for glock unlike CZ

2. B0308

B0308

I have a KKM Barrel with Comp, runs like a champ with quality practice and SD ammo on my G19.

Not cheap, but quality seldom is. YMMV

3. PM720

PM720

I run the Carver 3 port on a KKM barrel in my G34 and it runs like a champ with factory ammo.

4. Dan Reiss

Dan Reiss

I have a primary machine. I switched out the recoil spring to a 13 lb by Killer Innovations and it runs fine with practice ammo. It's just a range toy, so I never run it with SD ammo.

5. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

You have to put in a lighter recoil spring in there to work, though. Right?

6. alhovde

alhovde

Griffin Armament Micro Comp is guaranteed to run with all of your lighter loads. Even reloads that are lighter than factory 115 cheap stuff.

I have a G43X with a True Precision threaded barrel and Micro Comp. My favorite load is 147 grain JHP with 3.8 grains of Unique (~850 fps). Shoots perfectly with the factory recoil spring weight (on a tungsten rod assembly).

Sounds like the Micro Comp is exactly what you are looking for.

20200828_100553.jpg

Also edited to add: I found the comp to be surprisingly effective for the size, even with light ammo. With +P the difference is insane.

ShipWreck likes this.
  7. Cambo

Cambo

Thank you for the honest Primary Machine report, I wrestle with the idea of comping my P09, P07, and P10C all the time. Sounds like it's not worth it.

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Comps are for competition, otherwise just manage the bit of recoil from a standard 9 load. It's all grip.

9. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

+1. If I was going to comp a Glock 9mm that I wasn't going to compete with, I'd want an extended barrel with ports exit the slide's muzzle, like this...

https://www.gunlistings.org/image/61585/3/accessories_lone_wolf_glock26_9mm_extended_ported_barrel

With ports on an extended barrel (generally speaking, here), there's never the worry of shooting lighter ammo...you're getting the full length of the OEM barrel, so the velocity's there. Not only that, there's a tic more 'leverage', so the ports will be more effective on an extended barrel than if porting inside the slide with a port vent cut in the slide. Fact is, the closer the ports are to the barrel hood, the less they will scrub muzzle flip. A screw on comp is good, too, but I like the non threaded, extended with ports, only, the best.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2020
  10. Diesel McBadass

Comps aren't just for competition, they lower recoil. Red dots aren't competition only, they have tactical advantages.

Soon there will be comps and red dots everywhere.

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

^^^^ Only if you don't know how to manage recoil or get a good sight picture.

12. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

Or you can't see your front sight.

13. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

^^^ If you can't see the front sight, because you have to focus on 3 things at once, target, front sight and rear sight, dots can be of help in a static situation, like shooting at a box target at an indoor range from behind a bench, one round every 20 seconds. They will not be faster inside of 5 yards in a timed and scored standard drill.

harold63 likes this.
  14. TheDuckhunter

TheDuckhunter

I have something like 180 hours of tactical/pistol shooting classes. Most of those with scoring standards off a shot timer. Most with shots up close. Most with movement and target transitions. The dot is not any "faster" up close for me, but neither is it measurably slower on a timer. The dot is significantly faster at 10 plus, especially when moving. YMMV based on your eyes.

B0308 likes this.
  15. B0308

B0308

ShipWreak,

" You have to put in a lighter recoil spring in there to work, though. Right?"

Nope, standard RSA, based on round count, probably time to replace it though. YMMV

16. ShipWreck

ShipWreck Beretta 92 Nut!

Ok, cool. THe one I had in the 1990s required a less powerful recoil spring because the porting changed the timing on the slide.

17. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

That's all I do every Saturday at a USPSA match, and I've had several hundred hundred hours of training also. Been running Open Division guns since the 70's. Of course today's dot's are really way, way better. The dot is more accurate at 10 yards plus, but not so much faster. Try this with a dot to see the difference.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDXjk6itaIw

18. Diesel McBadass

I have a Parker mountain on my CZp10f, and i run even generic 115 grain stuff from winchester, blazer, federal, even ran tula before and not a single malfuntion. Stock springs. Comps dont kill reliability. they've come a long way.