close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock, Cominolli thumb safety and IDPA/ SSP

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Duck of Death, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Glock has, on special order, installed a thumb safety. The Comonolli thumb safety is approved by Glock & doesn't void the waranty. Would a Glock with a Cominolli thumb safety be allowed in IDPA/SSP?

2. Custom Glock Racing

Custom Glock Racing I did it first. Millennium Member

Anything people say here is opinion. Get a ruling in writing from IDPA if you want a real answer.

3. Mtrclass

Mtrclass

Currently it is not legal but getting it in writting from IDPA is a good idea. Better ask them on a couple of days, you might get a different answer each time......

4. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Response from IDPA HQ:

I will have to ask the BoD about this. On the one hand, this is not something that is a Glock factory option. On the other hand, it would be adding to the safety of the weapon. The BoD isn’t scheduled to meet until January. I would appreciate it if you would inquire again in February.

Thanks,

Dru Nichols

IDPA

Administrative Coordinator

5. Dolomite

Dolomite Glock Bhagwan

One of the founding principals of IDPA, according to page 2 of the rulebook, is to offer a practical shooting sport with unprecedented stability of equipment rules.

Further on Page 16, under “Stability of the Rules”, we have: “In order to maintain stability within the International Defensive Pistol Association, equipment rule changes will only be reviewed every two (2) years. Any equipment rule changes will go into effect 12 months after approval.” These rule changes will usually be communicated to every current IDPA member via the issuance of a new rulebook.

Now, is this an equipment issue or a safety issue? If it is a safety issue IDPA can change the rules as they fit, which is as it should be – but if it’s an equipment issue, ruling/enforcement of what they say will be left up to the individual Match Director at the match you’re attending.

If it’s a local monthly match – they’ll more than likely let it slide, but if it’s a major match (like a State or Regional) the Match Director may have wisely “frozen” the rulebook. That is to say, if you have an equipment issue that’s not in the rulebook – but instead have a letter or e-mail from IDPA HQ saying that a particular guide rod, slide release, or (gasp!) dreaded grip plug is OK for use in a particular division of IDPA – well – sorry, if it isn’t in the rule book – don’t be surprised if you are issued a penalty for every string you shoot using unauthorized equipment.

This keeps competitions on an even-keel for shooters that may not have unfettered access to internet gun discussion forums – and hence – remain in a dark shadow of the rapid nods IDPA is giving this piece of equipment or that piece of equipment. Harsh? Maybe. Unfair? No. Interpretation and adherence to their own rules is one of many issues IDPA needs to address and take a stand on.

Oh, and if anybody cares – I hate these safeties.

6. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Although it confers no competitive advantage, it is not a listed modification either banned or allowed. Stock means stock. Bring one to my range and I will sign you up in ESP.

7. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

Jim,

Although my IDPA official rule book doesn't mention that the factory extended slide stop/release can be used on models that don't come from the fractory with them,i seem to recall they can be used on those models.If thats the case than i see little differance(not mechanical differance) between the addition of an extended stop/release and the addition of a thumb safety.Not to mention the thumb safety's equipped on other brands that are legal in SSP,but i can see your point of view of the issue also.no flame intended.

8. Jim Watson

Jim Watson

Yeah, these e-mails with the force of rules are a real drag. Maybe the Little Blue Book will handle it.

But I maintain that stock is stock. That is a Cominoli safety not a Glock safety. Bring in a Glock with a Glock safety as per the contract with the Tsar of Lower Slobbovia and you are back in SSP.

9. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

10. Sniper 7.62

Sniper 7.62

Right on Matt :cool: as we know the IDPA rule of the day ;f

11. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

First of all, why do you want to modify the factory Glock with an after market "safety" ??? Try that on for liability in a shooting. "Oh, yeah, well, everyone knows that Glocks need this modification, except of course the manufacturer... and the 2 million plus guns they have sold, and warranty...

As far as IDPA, it is "an externally visible modification, other than grips or sights" throwing the gun out of SSP into ESP.

But why the heck would anyone want to put a 3rd party modification device onto a Glock? If you think you need a safety that badly, get a high quality 1911 or Sig or Beretta or S&W or Ruger!

12. Glock-N-Fun

Glock-N-Fun

9x45,

I understand your chain of thought,and i don't find the need for the cominolli safety at this point,but i see nothing wrong with a person wanting the glock design but also wanting to add a cominolli exterior safety if it fits their needs.
    We add many differant mods to 1911 why not the glock.
    No flame intended.