close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock cleaning...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by cotton617, Aug 5, 2012.

1. cotton617

cotton617

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZf4mUM10Vc"]Glock Cleaning Basics - YouTube[/ame]

Is this a good video to follow for cleaning my Glock? I've seen a quite a few different videos with different techniques. In other videos people have sprayed Ballistol down the frame, all over the slide and the spring; while Hickok really just does the barrel. Which is best? Thanks

2. WarEagle 1

WarEagle 1 Taco Tuesday

Yes this is a good video!! Hickok definitely knows what he's doing.

3. attrapereves

attrapereves

Pretty good video. However, I like to use Ballistol for lube and Hoppe's No9 for a bore cleaner.

4. multo17

multo17

I use Pro Shot Bore cleaner bcuz it's non-toxic & doesn't smell. It really helps bcuz I live in an apartment. I also use BreakFree CLP to clean all other metal parts, Windex for the polymer parts, & synthetic grease as lube. I also have Ballistol, l but I use it sparingly bcuz it stinks & the wife hates the smell!:cool:

5. fairtomidland

fairtomidland

That is the exact video I used, I am not an expert, but he seems to know his s***. I like his less is more approach.

6. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

I used his video as well. I was actually quite disappointed with the ballistol. I bought it because I can't stand the Hoppe's spell anymore. It took four times as many wet patches to get the bore clean. Only other step I use is to wipe the whole gun down with a waxed cloth to remove debris, then again with a microfiber cloth.

7. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Explorer
    If Ballistol is used repeatedly you will find it will do the job very well,repeated use allows it to absorb into the pores of the metal,thus reducing fouling build up.
    I stopped by a favorite LGS on the way back from the range one time one thing lead to another and decided to clean the two revolvers I had shot.
    A acquaintance at the shop was watching me clean them. I used a Ballistol soaked patch on a tight fitting jag and ran it through the bore,once. the fellow watching me looked at the patch and fine slivers of lead on it,he said to me ,if I hadn't just seen that I never would have believed it,you just pushed the lead fouling out with a patch.
    He asked me what I was using to clean the guns.I then explained to him with regular use it reduces the amount of fouling and the amount of work needed to clean the fouling out. Ballistol may not be for everyone but I've been using it since 1985 with complete satisfaction. SJ 40

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  8. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

Thanks for the info. I bought enough of it, so I'm in it for the long haul. I do remember the video saying it forms a layer that enables easier cleaning in the future.

9. cotton617

cotton617

Do you guys prefer the liquid or aerosol form Ballistol? And is Ballistol all that is necessary? No lube or grease...?

10. tonyparson

tonyparson

I like the aerosol Ballistol and I'll use a little Militec-1 grease on the rails.

11. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

I prefer the 16 oz. liquid bottle. As for cleaning I mix 30% Ballistol to 70 % isopropyl alcohol in a pump spray bottle.
    For lubricating I use it straight in a needle point oil bottle,a little goes a long way.

A tip I will offer if you are ever out hunting,shooting in the rain,as soon as possible when you get to your pump spray bottle with the 30/70 % mix liberally hose said wet firearm down inside and out with the mix. Having done this after bird hunting in pouring rain, I have waited up to three days to strip the gun down completely and clean properly,absolutely No Rust.
    This was done with a fairly pricy SxS shotgun not a Glock.
    Shooting in the rain doesn't scare me any more, I'm not ascared of no rain no more.
    Did I mention that Ballistol makes shooting and clean up of black powder Easy,this from some one who shoots 15 lbs. of black a year SJ 40

12. TX Archer

TX Archer

Hickok knows his stuff and does a good job with his video but I think this one is more... informative:

[ame]http://youtu.be/E1m6Qct68wo[/ame]

13. HenryinFlorida

HenryinFlorida

I tried watching this video several times, but I was having trouble keeping my eyes on the Glock....

14. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Tx Archer
    More something ! SJ 40

15. cajun_chooter

cajun_chooter

i bet is you ask 12 people how they clean their guns.. you will get at least 8 different methods..

16. JW1178

JW1178

But "mine" is the best way to do it. :supergrin:

17. TheExplorer

TheExplorer

No question. I just prefer to go with Hitch since he has much more experience than I.

18. Ermytraining

Ermytraining

There was a Glock?