close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock cleaning

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TxDeputy247, Oct 6, 2002.

1. TxDeputy247

TxDeputy247

I took my gun to a Glock armorer the other day to have my new Trijicons put on. While he was at it, he broke into the slide and cleaned a lot of junk out of the internals. He told me a different way to clean it than I had been and I thought I would run it by ya'll for some opinions.

He told me to take a toothbrush to the slide and brush it clean without any solvent. Next he told me to put a drop of oil at the end of each slide rail and set the slide on it's nose to let the oil run all the way down. Then take the toothbrush (without solvent)to the remainder of the gun to knock off powder residue, etc. Did the usual clean job on the barrel with barrel brush and solvent. He said after the oil begins to pool at the bottom of the slide dab it up with a Q-tip and coat the wear spots of the barrel and top, inside of the slide. The last thing was to put about 1/2 a drop of oil on the two metal arms (for lack of a better word) that rub together in the lower part of the frame, near the back. Then stick it all back together and go.

He told me to bring it back to him in six months or a year, depending on my shooting, and he would tear it apart and clean it. This guy is doing this for me at no charge, so money would not be a motive for me taking it back to him. He's been a long time friend who I trust and don't feel he's trying to screw me in anyway.

I know Glocks don't require much lubrication at all, but my question has to do with the lack of solvent used to clean the gun. Any thoughts. Thanks guys.

2. RandySmith

RandySmith

Yep, that sounds about right.
    I do use a small amount solvent on the slide, just to aid in the removal of powder residue. It is a bit troublesome to get it off after many rounds. Hoppes #9 is the best stuff I have found to remove power residue. As long as it can be removed with just a brush, you don't need the solvent. It seems to be easier to remove if done right after shooting.

The two metal "arms" in the back of the pistol are the connector and trigger bar. This is the MOST important lubrication point on the glock.

The only thing you didn't mention is a light touch of oil in front of the barrel hood where it contacts the slide.

Randy

3. Duck of Death

Duck of Death

Take the slide apart spray it with Simple Green work on it with a Q tip and a toothbrush, rinse in hot water and dry with a hair dryer. Make sure you get the striker channed dry. This is also a good way to clean the frame without taking it apart.
    Then oil with synthetic automobile motor oil. No oil in the striker channel.