Glock Class Action Lawsuit, RE: "KaBoom!"

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by boilergonzo, Sep 18, 2019.

1. H&K .45 AUTO

H&K .45 AUTO Gunslinger

Really? That is in poor taste my friend. You said yourself that both of your .40 Glocks have served you well for years without either giving you a problem. Carried on duty, correct?

I can tell you that I hold my duty weapons in very high regard, as they are my last line of defense against an increasingly hostile world where I am a target simply by virtue of my profession. I am thankful for the men, and women who manufacture them to be the highly durable, reliable, accurate, powerful, and affordable tools that they are.

Under no circumstances would I accept payment from Glock in relation to some frivolous lawsuit. Glock has done right by me, and it sounds like they have done right by you.

Shake that entitlement attitude off of your boots, and lets move on, shall we?

2. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

So how are all the guys in General Glocking planning to spend their class action settlement checks . . . for $0.63?

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

Kabooming Glocks is so 1990’s. Federal made some thin brass, which was quickly resolved. Now ATK (Federal, Speer, Blazer) make the strongest brass available as far as I can tell.

Glock specifically warns against reloads and against cast lead.

They also won’t warrant problem ammo made by boutique companies, like Underwood, which likely exceed Sammi spec.

I’d go so far as to say that no modern ammunition from a mainstream company, which meets SAMMI spec, will blow up a Glock of any vintage.

I’m no lawyer, but I believe Glocks should be gathering Underwood, BB, and DT ammo from as many lots as possible. Hire a ballistics lab like Western to test and see just how far above max pressure some of these rounds are.

You can look through a loading manual and find loads with a variety of powders, tested at max PSI, which will give a particular velocity. Then you can go online and order boutique basement ammo that exceeds those max velocities by 100, 200 FPS. Where, exactly, do folks think those extra numbers come from? Magic powder?

ETA, I still have half a box of Underwood 135gr 40 S&W that detonated my cousin’s Gen 2 G23. Will gladly donate to Glock for testing!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  4. Blackshirt

Blackshirt

I was a senior firearms instructor for 18 years. Every "Kaboom" that I had personal knowledge of involved handloads.

MikeG36, L-2 and MinervaDoe like this.
  5. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

Worth a bunch or worth nothing, they ain't for sale.

6. fxstchewy

fxstchewy

Glock 30S? Really?

7. Nutty Professor 188

Nutty Professor 188 Patrol Corporal

When my department went to G22s in the late 90s we had several case head ruptures with factory loaded Federal 180 grain Hydra Shoks. But it was determined to be related to the ammunition. Federal took all the duty ammo back and provided us with new, re-engineered ammunition with thicker case heads. No problems after that.

I don't blame the guns. I do not think they are unsafe. We carried the G22/23/27 until around 2010 when we switched to G19/17. I'm not a big fan of the 40 but I am completely confident in the Glock platform in any caliber/chambering.

God bless the lawyers for looking out for us.o_O

David Guillory likes this.
  8. slamdunc

slamdunc JAFO

I got a $720 check in the Zylon (body-armor) class action suit. My agency paid for this vest, I filled out the warranty card, the company sent me a letter, then a check AND I got to keep the vest.

I’m in on the defective hearing protection (Army issued ear plugs) class action now and will see how that turns out.

I totally trust my G22 and just sold my G20. That said I did witness a kaboom in an early gen 3 G22. That was attributed to a bad batch of Federal ammunition from the early 1990’s and Federal footed the bill. Fortunately, it didn’t result in any type of injury.

9. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I totally agree, and am not worried about my Glock's, but for the sake of argument...

If I were a lawyer trying to get rich off a frivolous lawsuit, I would argue that "Glock had less chamber support than other firearms for that caliber, and regardless of ammo, due to the clear lack of chamber support and unwillingness to notify the public, Glock's are more dangerous (shiver) than other brands, and that is specifically why they were grossly negligent, turning evil weapons of harm and destruction being used to slaughter innocent children into weapons that turn on their good owners and afflicting them with harm in a random fashion.

On a G23, Glock KNEW they had a poorly supported chamber. They modified that over the years to fix it, but never let owners of older versions they were holding an angry rattlesnake about to bite! Why, oh why didn't they let the public know of the risks? They tried to quietly fix their unsupported chamber problem while guns went "KaBoom" in their customers' hands. While customers nursed injured hands back to health, Glock was smiling, and greedily counting their huge stacks of money..." Or something like that.

[​IMG]

Glock chamber xd.jpg

[​IMG]

As I noted earlier, if Glock should lose, I won't join the class, and won't ask for payment (even if Bren is right, and I get the full $0.63 per gun, a new barrel, or whatever!). I feel it is frivolous, and that the guns are safe. Could the chamber have had more support? Clearly, as Glock has changed their barrels to provide more case support over the years. Was it ever negligent or unsafe. I don't think so. But lawyers will use photos like the ones above to illustrate that it was Glock that was widely associated with Kabooms, and others (XD, etc.) have more chamber support. We live in a world where laws matter, but when the laws don't support you, often you can get revenge in the courts (even if you lose).

Heck, it is possible Giffords' anti-gun group in Arizona is coordinating suits like this to strangle gun manufacturers with a flood of legal costs.

10. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

If I can avoid opting in, I won't ever see this huge check. If by opting out I leave the funds for lawyers to decide where to send it (lump sum distribution, as opposed to individual payments), I have to decide whether I donate it to a good pro-firearms group (with something more added, so the $0.63 doesn't cost them almost as much to handle and cash the check as it yields as a donation!), or buy something from Glock.

As you are well aware, you cannot buy something from McDonald's 99₵ Value Meal with just 63₵

11. QNman

QNman Old timer

:rofl:

12. QNman

QNman Old timer

I purchased my first Glock in 1994 - a model 22. I had it for many years, and wish I still had it. I fired at least 5,000 rounds thru it without thought or worry. It probably had another 10,000 rounds of reloads thru it, but always used a rifled barrel for the reloads.

If I can opt out, I will too (if I'm even included).

boilergonzo likes this.
  13. rock_castle

rock_castle Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness

I don’t own a 40 or a 10mm but I know plenty of people who do. This thing doesn’t pass the smell test IMO.

fxstchewy, MinervaDoe and boilergonzo like this.
  14. sciolist

sciolist On the Border

The fact that corporate lawyers warn against something doesn't mean it's inherently dangerous.

If you're dicing up some meat in the kitchen and suddenly start flailing wildly at your neck with the knife, serious injury or death could result. So just skip that part, and use the knife to cut the meat. It's not necessary to remove knives from the kitchen to avoid that negative outcome.

Obviously the lawyers are going to try to set the bar high enough to exclude all possible negative results... along with most of the better positive ones.

Basic common sense goes a long way.

boilergonzo likes this.
  15. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

Beware. Not only can wildly flailing with a knife cause harm, Prop 65 makes it clear that cancer causing items are in our knives! Namely, they have chromium and nickel. Since those chemicals can (in some situations) cause cancer, knives now carry a label protecting us from this horrible risk... that isn't.

Stupid politicians and frivolous lawsuits!

[​IMG]

fxstchewy likes this.
  16. jstrange

jstrange

So I am carrying a Gen2 22. I don’t believe the hype necessarily, but with the fact that they have made changes to better support the round over the years it makes me wonder if I should be concerned. Is there a legitimate concern with the older models or is it a nonissue?

17. SleeperSS

SleeperSS

If the lawyers take is 30%...pay them 30% of the swag offered to the plaintiffs.

18. boilergonzo

boilergonzo

I am no expert, but I am not worried. If you shoot overloaded rounds or use brass with thin walls or brass that has been reloaded over and over (weakening over time) the chamber is not as supported as newer Glock barrels or other brands (XD, third party like LWD, etc.), so there is a ever-so-slightly greater chance of an issue comparatively. But the odds of that are still extremely low.

I am not worried about it. I shoot decent ammo, and it doesn't even cross my mind. I feel it is a non-issue. But the newer Glock barrels, and barrels like those in the XD do offer a bit better chamber support.

If it were a risk worth worrying about, surely the police departments would have rejected these guns, but they didn't. The only new barrel I might consider buying for my G22 is a 9mm conversion barrel, and that isn't out of fear, it is just for giggles and flexibility. The old G22 barrel is fine for me. No worries on my end.

jstrange likes this.
  19. MinervaDoe

MinervaDoe

In forty five years of reloading, I've only had a few cases burst and it was definitely from loading the ammunition too hot. Of those, 1) I have never seen a Glock smiley and 2) any failure I had in a Glock, I could replicate in my Browning High Power.

Jumping on a class action lawsuit like this one shows lack of character. Anybody with gun knowledge will realize that ammunition that violates SAAMI specifications is likely the culprit here. Damaging the reputation and financial stability of a company that you utilize seems short sighted at best and is a case of group think mob mentality.

20. QNman

QNman Old timer

See my post above. If you're shooting factory standard pressure, non-boutique SAAMI spec ammo, it's a non-issue.

Mr Meeseeks and jstrange like this.