Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
First post here and glad to be here. I have a quick question and will say a little about myself in a moment.

Question: What happens if you have a loaded mag in the gun (a Glock) but no round chambered and you try to pull the trigger? What is the result? and is it bad for the gun? Also, is dropping the slide on an empty chamber bad for the gun as it is for 1911s?

Thanks in advance-

Since I'm new I'll briefly introduce myself. I've been a shooter since the late 70s. I've owned a 4" blued Colt Python .357mag, shot 44mags, 22s, .38s, 30.06, and a multitude of 1911s ranging from a full spectrum of Kimbers to a Rock River Arms Limited Match (nice gun). I've been a moderator (in absentia) at another gun forum for almost 10 years (though not absent for 10 years :)). I just don't don't have a need to post too much anymore. I've become partial to the venerable 1911 and the .45ACP. But the times, they are a changin'.

In all those years shooting 1911s I've become conditioned to think one must or should have an external safety to drop before pulling the trigger. I've had it explained to me now and it all makes sense - if you pull the trigger of a fully loaded revolver it goes boom and so will the glock if it has a round chambered. The 'external' safety is me, along with proper handling of the firearm.

Thanks to anyone answering the original question.

best-
Galileo

·
Pro Bass Angler
1,222 Posts
a full mag, no round in the chamber and pulling the trigger will not hurt the gun. and hitting the slide release with no round being chambered will not hurt the the gun.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Once you shoot the Glocks you will see what all the fuss is about. I was a die hard 1911 person for many years. One day I did my homework and learned about the ugly little plastic guns and now my Colts sit in my safe while I carry, and shoot the Glocks. If you like the 45's, the Glock 45's are awesome. 21SF is my favorite gun and the little 36 is right behind it.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Uh, yeah, personally, I don't pull the trigger on an empty chamber with a loaded mag. I pull the trigger THEN load the mag. You can't practice too many safety measures!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for the quick replies - it's good to be here - now . . . if i can find a new Glock in California :crying:

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
No round, no boom. As a 1911 shooter for most of my life, I have adopted the "original plastic pistol" as my protector of family. Nothing else comes close. The 1911's are fine pistols, but I have a love hate relationship with them. I do shoot the .40 cal almost exclusively now and use it for my CCW and bedside. The 45 ACP is a proven round and Glock makes excellant 45 shooters.

Welcome to our little corner of the net.

·
Swollen Member
871 Posts
I was(am) a 1911 fan for a looong time. Nothing wrong with them, for sure. I just really came to appreciate the simplicity and practicality of the GLOCK. I still like them, and will surely get another one sooner than later, but it will be relegated to a BBQ gun. I'm just not afraid of dinging up and working over a GLOCK like I am a purt 1911, CZ or BHP.

·
EMT-Paramedic
1,066 Posts
There is a place that sells a lot of IDPA and IPSC gear around me. They also sell shirts that I always thought were cool "1911's are what you show your friends, Glocks are what you show the bad guys"

Btw I also think dry firing the gun with ammo anywhere NEAR it, let alone IN it is a bad thing

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Welcome to GT and Glock world. Another convert. I still have a 1911 for nostalgic reason. I shoot my Glocks more.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts