close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Cerakote

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by bam1131, Jun 18, 2012.

1. bam1131

bam1131

I've reached a point with my Glocks where I have done all the necessary Factory mods that I wanted to accomplish. I'm now thinking about Cerakote-ing the frame.

I have been told that Cerakote is better for polymer guns than Duracote and others. Is this indeed true?

Also, I've narrowed down my Cerakote choices to flat dark earth, coyote tan and desert sand. What would you put on your Glock frame if it were your choice?

Any pictures of Cerakote jobs would be greatly appreciated

2. Markasaurus

Markasaurus

You can apply cerakote air dry on the frame. If you put it on the slide, i'd recommend baking that part because that is the recommended application method.

3. bam1131

bam1131

I have a very reputable place near me that does cerakote on the frame for $50

4. Chowser

Chowser

my under the couch cushion gun:

gen2 Glock 19. (my first Glock, purchased in 1998.)

[​IMG]

5. bforney

bforney

Cerakote is hands down better than Duracoat. Duracoat is basically Sherwin Williams. Check out www.cerakoteguncoatings.com NIC industries has done all the testing (as all coatings do) but they actually put their results out there. Cerakote holds up better than anything else out there.

I really like the Patriot Brown as well and use it quite often. These two were coated using Patriot Brown and Magpul FDE.[​IMG]

6. seed

seed

After my G23 Gen 4 got scratched (along with my XDM and Kel Tec P3AT), I got it (actually all of them) cerakoted. I was worried at first as the rails started to wear in and made the gun feel gritty. I applied and cleaned the rails (of the slides) over and over until the grittiness went away and my Q-tips no longer came up black. I could see silver where the finish had been worn away, but I suppose this was inevitable over time. Now I have to test them out at the range.

The other disturbing thing is that the lube just sort of beads up on the surface of the cerakote and doesn't stay put to even out the wetness/lube coverage over the surfaces of the parts. I hope this is not a problem (I don't imagine it will be)