Glock CC choice

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JWinNashville, Sep 9, 2015.

1. JWinNashville

JWinNashville

Hello all, this is my first post here...

I recently aquired a TN CC permit and am in need of your learned advice on which Glock I should choose for my first handgun....

2. stevedal12

stevedal12

If your caliber of preference is 9mm, I'd recommend either the 43 or the 26, both excellent carry choices.

Kansas1213 likes this.

3. Koba

Koba

I love my 26, small enough to carry but holds more than the 43. The 19 is good too, if you dress in a way to cc it

4. janice6

janice6

First: Welcome to GT.

Next, your question is like asking for a recommendation for a woman to marry. I'm not trying to ridicule you here, just that your specific requirements make all the difference in the world as to your choice of handgun.

How do you dress.
    What is your shooting experience.
    Do you need "deep cover" from your CCW or just concealed.
    How much money are you willing to spend.
    So many more conditions to mull over.

I'm sure you will get good guidance here, just realize no one is picking on you, they are just trying to get an idea of your lifestyle and requirements, which will then lead to the types of weapon you are comfortable with.

TN.Frank, strauk and HGxyz like this.
  5. BlueBacker

BlueBacker

Welcome. I have relatives in Murfreesboro, great part of the country.

I always recommend this video to people new to shooting, and Glocks. Hickok45 is my favorite gun related youtuber. It's a long video but he's easy to watch. The one caveat is that this was made before Glock came out with the 43, which is what some people will recommend. It's a smaller, easier to carry single stack 9mm. Its disadvantages are fewer rounds, and unlike other 9mm Glocks the magazines are not interchangeable. With the 26, which is the next size up and has a native 10+1 capacity, you can also use 15 round Glock 19 mags, 17 round Glock 17 mags or even 33 round mags.

Here's his video on the 43.

Oh yeah, Hickok is also in the Nashville area.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    janice6 likes this.
  6. Guilotine

Guilotine

The thing is it's hard to realize the gun that you need until you actually carry one or several. Block 26, 43, and 19 are all good choices and the size that you need depends on your wardrobe and where you work and what you do. One pistol might work for some occasions while not for others and thats how your collection grows.

7. AZ Husker

AZ Husker

The most important things about comfortable concealed carry are the holster and the belt. Both need to be top quality and I'd recommend buying both from the same maker. My favorite is Milt Sparks for both, and my favorite holster is the VM2. Now that setup plus a mag holder will cost you about the same as your pistol, but will last you a lifetime. As far as Glocks go I don't think you can beat a G19 for all purposes. In that Sparks rig it is a piece of cake to conceal under a baggy t-shirt. My personal favorite is a G32 in .357sig, which is exactly the same size as the G19 and is interchangeable with my leather.

TN.Frank likes this.
  8. zennashton

zennashton

Welcome from another Tennessean. Keep in mind that your permit is good for open and concealed carry in this state.
    Concealed is better ofcourse but its no big deal if you print here which is important if you decide to carry a larger firearm.
    The g43,g26 and g19 are all great first handguns all in 9mm. If you are new to handgun II recommend starting with a g19.
    I can conceal mine easy with a lose shirt. I carry both a g43 and g19 most of the time. The 43 is great if you need maximum concealment. Fits a pocket or ankle really well.
    I can't recommend a 26 but others love theirs.

venenoindy likes this.
  9. venenoindy

venenoindy

I would also highly recommend the G19, had the chance to shoot a G43 and did not like it one bit and carried the G26 plenty of times. At the end of the day my choice is the G19 and if deep concealment I'd necessary I would go with a G42.

10. Big Kohle

Big Kohle

For concealed carry, the g43 is the way to go. Also, it is the most comfortable.

11. Bruce M

Bruce M

Maybe find a range that rents guns and try a few different ones to see which you like and shoot best. And it is also possible that that might not be a Glock.

12. strauk

strauk

Janice6 really is right on target with this reply. I can say having carried now for a number of years the size of the weapon and the caliber is not as critical as your skills and abilities are with any particular weapon. For me, I carry a G23 (.40 cal). It's the same size as the G19 many have mentioned in this thread. I prefer more power and more ammo, just in general, and am proficient out to 25 yards with groupings under 3". Now that came after a lot of practice and many boxes of ammo. Also, I am not at all recoil sensitive, rather I enjoy a good kick in the .... you know what.

The bottom line for you is which weapon is the most comfortable for you and that you are most proficient with that fits your style dress and intended method for concealment. The other's recommendations to rent a few different guns at a range and take them for a test drive is a good way to find out which is better for you.

13. JWinNashville

JWinNashville

Thanks for the insight you guys are providing. It's much appreciated.

I have pretty small hands, so getting the right, comfortable Glock is very important to me.

I've looked around the Nashville area for a G43... but no luck finding one... are they that new or in demand?

14. stevedal12

stevedal12

The 43 is fairly new and still in demand. I went to a range that rents guns and tried several before deciding on the 43. Good luck.

15. TomI

TomI

Another vote for the 19

investigatormc likes this.
  16. TN.Frank

TN.Frank "Don't Tread On Me!"

My Nephew is on the Nashville PD and they issue the Glock 22 to them. He was carrying a G27 for off duty use but picked up a G42 and uses it now for off duty and he loves it. If you can't shoot the choices mentioned at least get to the gun store and hold each one to see what fits your hand best and then figure out if you're going to buy more Glocks in the future and what they might be. If this will be your only Glock then a G42 or 43 might be a good way to go but if you plan on getting some of the bigger Glocks then a G26/27/33/39 would be good since the larger Glock mags will work in the smaller guns.
    I'm trying to figure out which gun I want for pocket carry and for me the G42 seems a bit larger, especially when compared to the Ruger LCP in 380acp which also carries 6+1.
    Picking a new handgun isn't always an easy choice and it's best to try and give each consideration a try to see if it's something you'll like or not.

17. JWinNashville

JWinNashville

I've fired the G19 and the G27, liked both....

Currently I'm focusing on CC since my job is requiring I carry at times.

I do plan to acquire a larger handgun for home defense at some point in the future. I have two small boys at home... so that's a great concern.

JaPes likes this.
  18. GP47

GP47

My default answer is G26 carry / G17 home defense or buy two Glock 19s if you can comfortably carry/conceal them based on your build. I carry my 26 with a +2 Glock mag giving me 12+1 (and a full grip) with much less printing from behind the hip. I used to carry the G19 appendix which worked as well.

Others have provided great responses especially with the videos and recommendations of testing a few out at the range. I love sticking to the double stacks for greater capacity and the ability to use larger mags if needed.

19. investigatormc

investigatormc

20. Chop Suey

Chop Suey

I think,for concealed carry, it's prudent to decide which caliber/gun you shoot best;then commit to finding the holster/belt combo that works for your needs.

Dress around the gun you choose;don't try to find a gun that fits in with the way you dress. Easier said than done and does take a very firm commitment,no small amount of trial and error,possibly clothing/size /style changes. Not everyone is willing to do that.

Don't decide you like or don't like a holster or method of carry
    until you give it a good long try. Once you find your gun,caliber,belt
    holster and method of carry that fits your needs it will be well
    worth the time,effort,and money spent.