close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock case bulge

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by BigMoosie, Feb 12, 2012.

1. BigMoosie

BigMoosie

I don't own a Glock but I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 19. I've been looking at aftermarket barrels which will allow me to shoot cast lead bullets if I want. Can I ask will an aftermarket barrel like the KKM, which is fully supported, also prevent the infamous Glock case bulge?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  2. MoneyMaker

MoneyMaker

3. glocknick

glocknick

i shoot lead reloads out of my factory barrels in my 19, 21, 23, 26, and 29 with out any problems. check out missouri bullet company. their lead bullets work great in factory glock barrels. before you buy an aftermarket barrel buy some lead bullets from missouri and try them out. i dont think you will need the barrel.

4. DRAGON1970

DRAGON1970

Agreed. Missouri Bullets makes some great products. I shoot them up to 1180fps in my factory barrels with little to no leading.

5. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

You really need to look at some fired cases and measure the head expansion. I am not so sure the "Glock bulge" exists in the 9mm guns. I'm not going to be dogmatic, because I know .40-cal chambers have varied over the years.
    aybe the 9mm's have, too.

But my Glocks do not show any bulge, and as for support, look here.

G19, SIG226, G17, 1973 BHP, G17(L)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. OldSchool64

OldSchool64

As far as I know... Case bulge, or very rarely a case blow-out resulting a "Kaboom" has only been a problem with the .40 S&W. This is due to the higher pressures of this round and a larger guide ramp in the barrel.

7. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

"Higher pressures" than what?

The .40 is not a "high pressure" cartridge compared with 9x19.

Case support I've seen with some Glock .40 barrels posted here on GT has been minimal, however. Caused as you say by the shape of the feed ramp.

8. nraman

nraman

The 9x19 Glocks always had excellent case support, the chambers as tight or perhaps tighter than a Beretta.
    I don't know if the early .40s had bad support. My Gen 4 G22 and G27 have full support. Whatever brass you see on the feed ramp is solid brass not case wall.
    The 10mm case support doesn't impress me much. The 45 has less support, OK for a low pressure round.

9. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

Some pix posted here of earlier .40's have exposed portions of brass that appear to be at the extreme forward taper of the web, not the solid portion of the case head.

Maybe we will see them posted again.

The pix I posted demonstrate pretty good support for the Glock.

10. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

You can buy Precision Delta 115 gr FMJ for $3/1000 more than Missouri Bullet 115 gr LRN. Missouri charges $13 for shipping and Precision Delta includes shipping.

For $3 it's worth it to shoot FMJ

Richard

11. nraman

nraman

I'd like to see them.
    Some people think that seeing brass at the bottom means less case support. I took an empty case and measured the length inside the case from the bottom to the mouth. I made a mark of that length on the outside of the case and verified that what I was looking at the feedramp was solid brass. For solid brass to fail, the brass must "flow", the kind of pressures you see on rifle brass with overloaded rounds. Pistols, even rifles can't handle this kind of pressure.
    I feel that my 40s are safe as long as they fire in battery and don't get fired with the barrel blocked.

12. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

IIRC the pix were posted on the 10mm forum. I cannot remember the handle of the member who posted them but maybe tossing a thread up over there might get them re-posted? The difference between years of manufacture was quite noticeable.

You are pretty close to correct about case head failures, except that if cases have been fired and resized numerous times and thus work hardened and the chamber in which they are being fired is excessively large abd there is reduced support in the ramp portion of the cases, cases can fail. The incipient fatique/damage may not be readily noticeable but normally a bulge is.

The barrels I posted show good support.

The sloppiest of the chambers appears to be the BHP tho I'd have to mike all the brass from each barrel to be sure.

By the way, we also debunked the "firing out of battery" accusation about Glocks with an extensive testing of numerous pistols, again, on the 10mm forum last year.

13. tonyparson

tonyparson

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  14. 3/4Flap

3/4Flap

Thanks Tony!

That's one.

Look at the 98 chamber. Obviously significant changes have been made and they appear to include both ramp approach angle, case support at that point as well as chamber dimensions including diamter of the breech end of the chamber.

Make a difference?

Well, yes, I think so.

Now, go back to the pix I posted of the 9x19's.

As I showed and nraman noted, the support for the 9mm appears to be good, and both better than the older .40 and on a par with other 9's. Maybe even better than some others.

I need to mike fired case head diameters for comparison.

15. M&P15T

M&P15T Beard One

Here's your answer.

Quit worrying about shooting lead boolets.....just use FMJs.