Glock Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like I read this somewhere else once, but in my own load testing I've noted that even though Glock appears to break ALL the "rules" when it come to firing pin tip design, I've never seen a pierced primer!
I've added some photos so illustrate my point.
The 460 Rowland operates at, and above 40K psi. My first 460R was a "Glock" design using an all LWD long slide top end. I've shot the hottest factory load available - Underwood - all offered loadings with 185 grain reaching almost 1,300 lb-ft of energy, as well as hand loads producing over 1,100 lb-ft of energy. Despite primers extruding into the firing pin opening, and clear evidence of primer shearing, I've never once had a primer blow through in a Glock.
Same goes for the 5.56x24. The 5.56x24 is exceeding 40K psi on top loads. Fired in a Glock the primers come out looking fine...other than clear evidence of protruding into the channel, and shearing due to unlocking.

The striker tips on my Glocks are as pristine as they day they left the factory despite hundreds of high-pressure rounds having been punched by them!

The same loads, fired in non-Glock chambers show a different story.

My first 1911 460R with OEM firing pin showed massive cratering with primer flow back and everywhere else. Small primer "45 Super" level loads showed pierced primers fired from the same gun that shot 460 ammo without a problem.
The CZ75B with .22TCM9R barrel - pierced and blanked primers with the same loads fired in the Glock without even a "high pressure" sign!

Mind you, none of these barrels are Glock OEM, yet are marketed as having closer-toleranced chambers which generally means high pressure signs at lower charge weights.

I analyzed the Glock primer tip and even reshaped a 1911 tip to be more like it - 0.05" tip, conically shaped back to full, 0.94" diameter by "one-diameter back" from the tip. Primers hit by that firing pin have shown less "pressure signs" than the original hemispherical 0.94" diameter pin.

Naturally I'm trying to figure out how the Glock system manages to handle over-magnum pressure loads with primers intact, yet other "conventional" designs produce pierced and blanked primers with the same exact loads and even loads with less powder.

Brass Technology Beverage can Electronic device Metal
Metal
Ammunition Brass Metal Fashion accessory Button
Ammunition Bullet Brass Gun accessory Metal

·
Registered
39,012 Posts
If you taper a firing pin properly, it isn't likely to pierce a primer unless the pressures are waaay over. GLock rectangular shape is just a diff approach. I have seen GLock fired brass in 9major with pierced primers, likely Federals, so even that isn't foolproof.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.