Glock back from Smyrna - might have an issue

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by JimP, Jul 16, 2018.

1. JimP

JimP

Need an assist from the smart guys here: Had an issue with my Gen 5 Glock 19. Basically, it took me 1500 rounds and trip back to Glock to ascertain they installed the wrong sights on it (Ameriglo). I called a couple weeks ago and mentioned it to the service cat and he told me in no uncertain terms that I had to ship it in for them to figure it out. I did so at the rate of $78.00. Got it back today and no explanation of what they did.

I called and spoke to - I am almost certain - the very same guy I originally spoke to about this two weeks ago. he looked it up and told me that it looked liked they had to "regulate the sights." I asked if that was replaced and he didn't know.

At any rate, I just picked it up and function-checked it and the trigger hangs dead after squeezing it upon cocking. It will reset when I cycle the slide but i do not remember the trigger hanging dead in the interim. What I mean by this is that I cycle the slide and squeeze the trigger. if I hold the trigger back while I recycle the slide (as in recoil) it resets the trigger. if I don't do anything and just release the trigger after pulling it, it literally doesn't move - it just "hangs" there.

Is this normal?

I'm a bit torqued that I had to pay an additional 78 bucks for them to fix the sight issue (I'm the guy that was shooting 8 inches low at 25 yards).

In fairness to Glock, they are sending me a couple of mags but I shouldn't have had to pay that kind of cash to fix the wrong sights from the factory (it was a Blue-Label purchase).

Of the two issues - the only one that I am worried about is the trigger. is this normal?

I carried a Glock on 5 or 6 deployments and don't remember the trigger being like that.

2. Bradd D

Bradd D

The Glock trigger will stay to the rear until the slide is racked.

Mr Meeseeks likes this.

3. Mr Meeseeks

Mr Meeseeks

4. powernoodle

powernoodle

Yes. Perfectly normal. What Bradd said.

Agreed. But you did not have to comply. That's almost what it would cost for you to buy new sights.

Hang in there. It will be worth it in the end. If you have to, just put on new sights yourself or have someone do it. It would not hurt for a 3rd party to shoot your gun in its current configuration and see what results they get. Probably the same thing, but you never know.

Notice that the trigger does not move forward until the slide cycles. The tab on the striker assembly pushes the trigger bar forward as the slide moves forward. So if you pull the trigger on an empty chamber, the trigger stays back (or "dead") until you manually cycle the slide.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWxxO7VoDw

Valmet likes this.
  5. JimP

JimP

OK guys - appreciate the guidance. I know a bit about weapons but haven't spent a bunch of time with the Glock platform other than some deployments; been pretty much a 1911 guy since I was a pup.

Got to say, I'm liking the Gen 5 trigger.

Powernoodle - spot-on; thank you!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  6. cciman

cciman MacGyver

hmmm?

Just like it does on the 1911.... and every other striker fired weapon, and almost all other single action guns. Lot's of guns need to "reset the trigger" after pulling on an empty chamber.

To my knowledge, the only ones that don't need a reset are the DA/SA guns, DAO hammer fired, and those rare strikers that advertise a second strike capability (Taurus).

Para-Ord used to make a 1911 where you could get one trigger pull after this, but subsequently needed the slide to cycle to reset. Too confusing to be safe.

7. JimP

JimP

Naw - different. The trigger on a 1911 will travel forward. I'm not talking a sear reset, just simple movement forward from the trigger return spring or otherwise, dependent on the platform. This thing just flat-out stops...no movement.

Perhaps I didn't explain it well enough.

8. JBP55

JBP55

With an empty chamber pull the trigger and release the trigger. If it resets when you rack the slide it should be fine. Then go shoot the pistol and enjoy.

9. cciman

cciman MacGyver

Could call it a Glock tactical safety feature:

with the trigger all the way back, it means that the striker is not cocked (under tension), very likely unloaded, and no way to fire it without charging it. If you shake it back and forth, you can hear the striker pin rattling. You can tell if it is cocked in the dark.

Welcome to Glock world. I have many 1911's, never noticed that on the trigger till now, but functionally can't figure out an advantage to it.