close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Armorors (sp?) Course

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Woodcutter, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Woodcutter

Woodcutter

Anyone know if it's possible or loopholes for one who is not in LE to take a Glock Armorors Couse? That is to be able to do work on Glocks for LE and such?

2. RandySmith

RandySmith

You want to work on pistols for a PD? Have the PD sponsor you.

An FFL holder is another route.

Randy

3. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Get a "Stocking Glock Dealer" to sponsor you.;)

4. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

Dealers made up about a third of the class I was in. A couple were employees of the store - you might be able to work something out.

5. Woodcutter

Woodcutter

Well it doesn't really have to be my doing work on police weapons. My main focus is to get experience. I'd even do it free just to gain experience (thus why I thought LE fixing would be the way to go).

As for gunshops, in my area there are none in the immediate area. The ones outside the area, one is a Gander Mountain and they have a gunsmith who they're happy with and are not looking for another (even though I offered to do it free for experience). Another shop further that a LE owns, however he's not looking for help. Going out further from that, it's not feasable for me to travel each day, although I asked and all seem to have all the help they need.

So to sum it up, I'm looking for a sponsor for me to take a Glock Armors course. I don't mind paying my own way. And to sponsor me I'd even sign papers to do work free for a given period of time....again to gain experience. My records clean and all, able to carry in 32 states.

However again, I can't take the Glock course without a sponsor. Kinda a catch-22 there, eh?

6. Uncle Don

Uncle Don Wood butcher

I see what you mean. To tell the truth, I would get someone who knows how the weapons completely disassemble to show you or I think Glockmeister has an excellent CD. Trust me, there is no rocket science here. For half the day, we covered history, liability and nomenclature. The other half was to learn to dissasble and reassemble the entire gun. I was amazed at it's simplicity. The only thing you would lack is the certificate from Georgia. If I thought there was an adequate way to do it, I'd film the complete dissasembly and reassembly for you.

7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

There are no secrets disclosed in a factory armorer's class, and if you intend to work on someone else's pistol, you better look into the cost of liability insurance.

8. Woodcutter

Woodcutter

Danny R and Uncle Don, Thanks for the info!

Yes, I was aware of the liability insurance, and this is where I thought of doing it kina "in house" for a LE agency would cover that. Perhaps like a civilian worker for the police force maintaining Glocks.

I already know how to do a basic Glock cleaning (slide off, barrel clean, etc.) but not the detailing part.

And in my area (Scranton) that uses Glocks I know they don't have anybody who maintains them (certified Glock). Plus going for me I'm young, college educated (like that means a lot now, eh? ;Q ) and it's something I thought I'd like to get into. Do it for free in exchange of allowing me to take the class, gain experience, references, etc. Then who knows where that'll lead to.

Oh well, I appreciate it if anyone (local or wherever) ever gets an idea to please keep me in mind. Thanks.