Glock Armorers - Slide Lock Question/Opinion

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by robhic, Aug 15, 2019.

1. robhic

robhic I'm your huckleberry.... Platinum Member

Just want to get some opinions. I had the ubiquitous slide-lock spring break off in the frame! I HATE the OEM lock so got an extended one to replace it. Of course, the original almost fell out it was so easy but the damn spring broke upon attempting to put in the replacement. :steamed:

OK, got the tweezers, needle-nose pliers, picks, and other assorted tools to begin the chore of trying to get the 'stump' out. Hitting, heating, cooling, tweezing, picking, etc. - all NOPE!

So I had a friend with a tiny drill bit try to drill a small hole in the remainder (stump) of the spring. Just wouldn't do it. So I came home and looked it over. Seems the attempt(s) at drilling opened up the slot (not what I intended but I'll take it). I was able to get the new spring in (I guess alongside the broken piece) popped in the new extended lock and PRESTO! it worked! My lucky, lucky day. It seems fine and as long as the lock stays to keep the spring down (why wouldn't it?) the gun seems alright. I guess if the first round fired gets the slide to fly off I'll have a definitive answer. :frown: But as long as all seems tight, do you think this is OK?

2. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

If you go to a GSSF match, the armorers will be happy to help you out. Just tell them you are using the pistol for unlimited. Only OEM parts for all categories except Unlimited.

...Ron

robhic likes this.

3. mtstream

mtstream

Your are correct - As long as there's pressure on the spring between the slide lock and the frame it won't fall out even if it's a little loose or, in your case, tight.

If you pull the slide back slightly - like you are going to disassemble the gun - then pull the slide lock down and release it, it should snap back up with some force (make a nice solid click sound when it returns and hits the frame). If you are getting that, you should be good.

robhic likes this.
  4. robhic

Thanks, Gents, I figured I was good but another opinion or so can't hurt!

5. robhic

Added: After looking at my half-assed slide-lock spring from last week I decided I just didn't want to chance the slide flying off and possibly breaking a XS -Big Dot sight ($60 or so) or anything else. So I decided to see about getting a new frame without all the internals which I have here already.

Glock will not sell a lower - stripped or not. :steamed: But I can box the lower, ship it overnight to Glock and they'll replace it for $100+. The whole gun, insured for $500 cost $100+ to ship back. I don't think (hope...) the lower only insured for $100 will be as expensive. This was a rotten way to start the week. Now to find a box.

6. RSCamaro

RSCamaro

You can check with The Glock Store. Sometimes they have frames for sale for like $50 each. I can’t tell you if they have your frame but its worth a few minutes of your time to look.

...Ron

7. robhic

I bought one from them before. $225 or so. I wrote to ask if they had a G36 Gen3 frame and never heard back. Thanks for the information but looks like Lenny Magill is busy posing for cheesecake pictures moreso than responding to inquiries...