close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Armorers School

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jetlag, Aug 1, 2002.

1. jetlag

jetlag

Anyone have any information on when, how much and who can go to the Glock "armorers courses"?

2. The Pontificator

The Pontificator Angry Samoan

It's my understanding that Glock holds these classes on a regular basis thru out the year both at their Smyrna facility and elsewhere.

A friend of mine who's the gun department manager of a local sporting goods store took the course several years ago and he mentioned that the class cost around $200. The store is a Glock stocking dealer and he's a reserve LEO.

As far as who may attend, the military and law enforcement get first dibs, followed by stocking dealer armorers. "Joe civilian" is at the bottom of the heap and out in the cold.

Front sight offered an "unofficial" armorer's course but wanted around $300-500. That's unreasonable.

An oustanding basic disassembly/assembly manual may be found online at http:///www.glock-1.com Excellent instructions and pictures. Glockmeister and other online Glock parts sellers also have easy to use reference materials.

3. G23NCB

G23NCB Armorer/Member

You have to be LE or have an FFL to attend. The basic course is 85.00 and the advanced course is 200.00. You can contact Glock training dept at Glock GA. for a schedule. ;a

4. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

you won't learn anything you can't get for free here or at glockmeister's site. misinformation is not unusual at these classes as well.

5. Fireglock

Fireglock Which is worse?

Really? And you base that on?

6. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

I've never received any misinformation at a Glock Certified Armorer's class, and I don't expect to when I re-certify next year.:(

7. FA

FA

Nor have I received misinformation at the armorer's course I attended last September. In fact, since it was my first one I learned quite a bit of information and found it to be enjoyable.

Regards,

fa

8. GWP535

GWP535

The biggest advantage in taking the factory armorer's course is that you can buy parts wholesale directly from Glock at Smyrna. I can buy OEM parts wholesale from lots of sources, but none can match Glock's prices. If you're non-LE, you need to get a stocking dealer to sponsor you. Then it is just a matter of contacting the Glock Training Department for a class schedule. I will be taking my 3-Year re-certification course August 15th. Fortunately, Glock presents a class in my town about every 3 years, so I do not have to travel. I live within 3 hrs. driving time from Smyrna, but it's nicer not to have to leave town for the course.

9. Paratwa

Paratwa

I am still trying to figure out why it is all right for me to purchase a Glock but it is unacceptable for me to learn how to service it thru Glock.
    Why do they not encourage civilians to take the Glock armorors course?
    Is this a liability issue?
    Does taking the course make me more of a threat to the public?
    I am not trying to be difficult just trying to understand the issues. If I am willing to pay the price and travel expenses for the course why I cannot take it. Any information would be appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for any information.
    :)

10. Fireglock

It's a Glock Inc. policy. As a guess I suppose making the class available to the general public would cause a significant increase in the office work and number of trainers needed.

11. Guest

I am taking the Glock Armorer course at FrontSight next month. It might seem expensive, but remember, it is a 3 day course, which includes the full two day handgun training from FrontSight. It also comes with the full manual, tool, etc etc, so it sounds like a good deal if you are within driving distance to Las Vegas area. I have seen the armorers videos, but I want real training, and this is the one place you can get it without being active LEO or FFL holder. So for me it will be well worth it.

12. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

If you buy a new motor vehicle should the manufacturer allow you to take their certified mechanic's class?

Does Beretta or Ruger offer classes to anyone?

13. VN350X10

VN350X10

Danny has brought up a valid point. Glock pistols are almost too "user friendly" for their own good.
    How many Berretta or Sig owners do more than a basic field strip & cleaning? Not many from what I saw at the gunshop.
    But it seems like everybody who owns a Glock takes it apart & tinkers. I had a decent income at the shop from people who didn't know how to tinker & mucked things up untill the gun malfunctioned!

Glock's are almost "copproof" as long as the dept. forbids officers working on the weapons. But there's no stopping a civilian owner from
    playing around until it breaks!

(O.K. off soap box)

uncle albert

p.s. starting for a new gunshop soon....and I'm planning on the Glock school. I work on a lot of them, but would still like to be sure of the factory procedures.

u.a.

14. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

i've seen a handful of post's with bad info they got from their "armorers" class. fireglock, I haven't had a kb but i don't deny it happens.

i'm not trying to stir the pot, just letting jetlag know he won't learn anything he can't get here or glockmeister for free. not to mention dannyr, i've emailed him alot and he's very helpful and accurate. props to dannyr!;)

15. Paratwa

Paratwa

Dannyr I understand your point. My point is if I wanted to become an amoror for a Beretta or Ruger or Chevy master mechanic and am willing to spend the time and money why should I not be allowed to. Why do I have to be associated with a car dealer or FFL. Part of the reason we all enjoy the Glock so much is becaue it is so perfect. You cannot say that about the Beretta or Ruger. They are both definitely more complicated and do not maintain the same overall design across their product line.

It is ok for an FFL but not ok for a Glockaholic to learn how to properly maintain a Glock. Many of the FFL's I know are not really that interested in the guns they are selling just a business. Look at all the comments that are made on the various forums about FFL's that do not really know that much about the weapons they are selling. I have seen numerous comments especially from new members that were mislead by FFL's, probably not intentionally, because they did not really know about their products.

Back to my original point if I want to learn the proper manufacturer recommended techniques to maintain a Glock and am willing to spend the time and money I just feel I should have the training available to me.;)

16. Fireglock

Well I don't see the corollation with the KB and bad info at an armorers school. All you are going on is that people who "say" they are armorers have provided "incorrect" information. That's not the same as the instructor at an armorers class giving out bad information in the class. Seeing someone post the wrong information doesn't mean the he received the wrong information in class, it could, but it isn't likely from my experience. If you don't think the info you get from Dannyr, myself or anybody else is incorrect just check with Butch, he'll give you the straight word. :)

17. switch625

switch625 S. S. Squirrel

butch is a good source too.