Glock ARMORERS: Firing Pin Question

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by user1, Feb 8, 2016.

1. user1

user1 Millennium Member

Updated - 12.24.18 NOTE: This thread is NOT about dry firing or snap-caps. Glock armorer's or Expert comments are appreciated. Why? Because thread asks a Question. Responses that are a best guess, something pull from somewhere, and theories (by those that enjoy thinking) probably aren't going to answer the Question.
    Some of us appreciate our tools enough that we tend to think how to make them better. Is this the right part? (another reason for buying your *important parts from Glock vs someplace else)(another reason Glock should be selling *important parts to Glock Owners; ie, those that have passed at least a Glock Armorer's course, and are eligible members of GSSF.) (If you have ever been in Smyrna, you know that the place can be inhabited with some unhappy people, and those who live to give others a bad time. Smyrna doesn't sell *important Glock parts these days because they do not want to be bothered !)(Part of the problem is being buried by questions from curious, or un-informed Glock owners; and those who wished they owned a G-xx.) Maybe a Glock owner will sue Glock for being liable after denying the Glock owner access to an *important Glock pistol part. All this trouble because a few twerps don't want to be bothered. Mr. Glock, this problem is a bit short sighted is it not?

Each Glock striker (<-an oops! correction: 12.24.18) is marked by a 'Caliber Group Code'; Code 1,2,3 have 1,2,3 straight cut marks near the 'front end' of the striker at 'cup end' of the striker spring. For example a 9mm and .380cal Glock firearms are in Caliber Group-1; while 10mm and .45cal (but not GAP) are in Caliber Group-3. The cut marks should make it easy to determine if the correct firing pin is installed in the Glock pistol (which may be yours)and(there may also be other ways to make the determination).
    (While Glock goes crazy with the endless G-models being built these days, some specs do not apply to all models). It makes me wonder though. Obviously, something about the firing pins in each Caliber Group, marked by 1,2, or 3 straight cut lines is different. In other words, forget about the factory markings for a moment; there *has to be a physical difference between strikers from group #1,#2,#3.
    What is the difference between stickers in the Group-1, Group-2, and Group-3?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. cciman

cciman

Just curious. Why wonder?

Considering making things "better, stronger, faster" by mis-matching firing pins?

glockzilla10mm likes this.

3. glockzilla10mm

glockzilla10mm SAFETY PIN CRITIC!! Lifetime Member

I also heard repeated dry firing causes damage to ANY firing pin over time including GLOCK, which makes me wonder about limitation of dry practice. Is it a good idea to keep an extra FPA on hand as a general idea? Now I look at this question posted here and the wondering really comes full circle!!

SJ 40 likes this.
  4. mtstream

mtstream

The difference is the length of the lug that engages the trigger bar. As the barrels get larger for the caliber the slide has to be larger too. The difference in lug length adapts slide height to the frame.

Glocks are OK with dry firing but if your going to do a lot use a snap cap. The impact from dry firing is on the slide. The only report I personally know of firing pins breaking was due to the primers in the "environmentally friendly" ammo required for LEO training in California.

5. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

Snap caps are cheap insurance. SJ 40

glockzilla10mm likes this.
  6. glockzilla10mm

glockzilla10mm SAFETY PIN CRITIC!! Lifetime Member

Kinds figured. Now to find 14,..

7. mtstream

mtstream

SJ 40 likes this.
  8. SJ 40

SJ 40 Deplorable,Clinger

9. user1

user1 Millennium Member

Edited: 12.29.18
    "The difference is the length of the lug that engages the trigger bar."
    -> Interesting. Did you measured the length of the lugs on the 9mm and 10mm Glock firing pins for full size Glocks; 9mm and 10mm?

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  10. gooffeyguy

gooffeyguy In the STL

The breech face is thicker so the tip that sticks through the slot is longer

Sent from my stupid smartphone using Tapatalk

PEC-Memphis likes this.
  11. mtstream

mtstream

Frames are the same between the 9s and 40s but the slides are not. You may have to use a caliper to tell there's a difference but there is, it's the exact amount as the lug. This is why you can convert a .40 to 9 but not the other way around. I have a post somewhere on Glock.pro with the exact measurements, I'll try to find it tonight.

12. mtstream

mtstream

The .40 slide is .08mm taller than a 9mm slide the lug measured .09 longer - basically the same given the digital calipers used. All other measurements I took were the same including the tips.

SJ 40 likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Millennium Member

mtstream

i read your theory on another web sight. good try but no cigar.

14. mtstream

mtstream

Theory about what? That a .40 slide is taller than a 9mm slide and a .40 firing pin lug is longer than a 9mm firing pin lug? Measurements typically aren't considered theories except by those who choose ignorance.

And my post on the other site was that when converting a .40 to 9mm the firing pin should not be changed because of the variance in slide height was matched by the difference in firing pin lugs. No theory there either.

I don't know that I've really taken offense to a post before but you asked a question and I responded with data (actual measurements) and you choose to insult me - maybe if instead of trying to kiss WalterGA's arse on the other board you had actually read the thread you would have realized there was no dispute over the facts or conclusion. Walter may love trying to be a PIA but I've not seen him choose to be ignorant.

15. gatorboy

gatorboy ( . Y . )

Found this thread doing a search, had to bring back from the graveyard.

Lot's of false info here. Especially about why you can't use a 40 barrel in 9mm slide. The slide of the 40 is not taller either. The 9mm barrel in front of the chamber is slightly smaller in diameter and so is the hole in slide. The lugs are the same. Reason why 40 won't work in 9mm slides is breachface is smaller.

16. mtstream

mtstream

The .40 barrel flat out won't fit in a 9mm slide - that was never part of the discussion. The question was firing pin.

I didn't remember this thread was out there or I would have updated (the measurements I took between a G17 and G22 were accurate for those two guns, I just happened to get two guns that worked out to the exact differences, but I now know those differences are within Glock's tolerances).

There's a notch in the firing pins that controls how far past the firing pin safety the pin can go. It's longer on the .40 than the 9mm creating an unsafe situation if a .40 firing pin is used in a 9mm slide.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  17. user1

user1 Millennium Member

mtstream;
    did you do the firing pin measurements for the G17-9mm/G40-10mm before or after this discussion? Your mind is working overtime neighbor! Are you suggesting that you would carry out your measurement regime to determine which pistol was acceptable for a specific firing pin? (The notch purpose is an Interesting find however!) I believe I see the FP notch you are examining, and I never had any idea what the notch was for or if there was a difference in the length of the notch for calibers (ie, the stepped down section of the 'notch' that is).
    I am curious, where do you buy your parts for the G17 and the G40 you compared? I would think you would want all the individual parts in your G40 (or in any firearm that is) to be up to spec . Competitor, hunter, swat team member, or just someone who wants to know that the firearm he/she is using is genuinely reliable because he/she has taken all precautions. Let no malfunction go unanswered ! happy Holidays and Good Will toward you and yours in 2019 and beyond.

18. usnret

usnret

user1
    You kind of asked a question in the form of a long statement. When people answer you, you argue with them and claim that they don't know what they are talking about. So, did you just want to start an argument or actually have a valid question?

ede and rock_castle like this.
  19. user1

user1 Millennium Member

good point; and my argumentative nature could use improvement....
    i was asking for valid information about a physical fact. forum threads get off the track, the subject changes, and posters opine. an accurate, factual response to a question is a gift for someone looking for facts...

20. mtstream

mtstream

I think he's just trying to give me a hard time for typing G40 when I was thinking about .40 instead of G22.

But whatever - I took a G17 slide and a G22 slide and measured the height of the rail (base of the slide to bottom of rail) on each. The G22 was .08mm longer. This didn't surprise me as Glock has made slides with different height rails before - for example G19s with pre-EH serial numbers require a different trigger bar due to slide rail height.

The firing pin lug on the G22 then measured .09mm longer than the G17 lug.

Those were the reference points, those measurements still are what they are but I now know they are within tolerances allowed by Glock. If I'd had a different G22 I probably might have gotten different measurements.

Now feel free to examine a G17 firing pin and G22 firing pin for the described groove and you'll see what I'm referencing now as the correct answer to the original question.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018