GLOCK Armorer's Course

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Jsferrazza, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Ranger54

Ranger54

Taken it three times, as stated, always fun and something new to learn if you are a Glock fanboy!

Jsferrazza likes this.
  2. dudel

dudel

It's a good course. IIRC, the certificate lets you buy parts from Glock; but that may have changed.

Best part is you get to ask all the "dumb" questions that seem to play out over and over on GT.

1) What's tennifer?
    2) Will my glock rust?
    3) Do you need a $.25 trigger job?
    4) is this aftermarket part any good?
    5) can I put this barrel in my GXX?
    6) what's the black finish?
    7) what causes a kaboom?
    8) Should I leave the copper stuff on new guns?
    9) Does a glock need cleaning?

The instructors are good, and remarkably patient.
    If you're really lucky, they might pull out a G18 and let people put a burst or two through it.

Not essential; but if you've got the time and money, it's a great way to spend a day.

Jsferrazza likes this.

3. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

Ammo!!! A gun is nothing more than a paperweight without it.

4. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

Brains!!! A head is nothing more than a paperweight without it.

5. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

I took it when I was teaching at the Police Academy. They paid for it. Lasted a full day and I had to take it because we used Glocks at the Academy. Don't think I would pay $200 to take it though.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  6. Roadkill_751

Roadkill_751 5 or 6 rounds?

Try to order parts from the factory to replace worn or broken parts.

Themarinedoc likes this.
  7. geclevel

geclevel

I took the course to gain knowledge. I also started installing aftermarket triggers after the class. Took the class four months ago and installed enough triggers to pay for the class.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  8. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

Why order from the factory? There are at least a dozen other suppliers who sell Glock factory parts. Try a Google search or two.

glkdawg45 likes this.
  9. Themarinedoc

Themarinedoc

Roadkill made another good point. And of course, to move the sight around they want you to buy a very overpriced and equally simple tool. And the first thing I did was get rid of my factory Glock sights and install the excellent Trijicon night sights, which afford good visibility in both daylight and low light. And generally speaking, most parts that I've replaced have not been Glock factory parts.

10. fastbolt

fastbolt

You can buy the same parts from Glock, for the same price the aftermarket vendors pay for theirs when they buy them from Glock ... or you can buy them from the vendors after they've put on their profit. Kinda depends how many parts you're buying at a time, how quickly you want them, and whether you want to pay wholesale or retail.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  11. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

So a part they pay $2 for may cost me $5. I am ok with that, I am more concerned with quick delivery so retail is fine with me. I have only ever had to replace a couple parts.

Glocks are cheaply made and are just one step above Hi-point or Keltec but they generally just keep on chugging.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2016
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've done the same thing, if it was only 1 or 2 less expensive parts. Just depends what you need and how fast you need it. Convenience can be worth a little extra cost, at times.

Now, if you're serving as an armorer, trying to stock enough spare parts at retail, versus wholesale, can result in the cost accruing pretty quickly. ;)

It's not a bad thing to get to know the area Glock rep, either. ;)

Jsferrazza likes this.
  13. fastbolt

fastbolt

When all is said and done, though, the $250 cost, as well as any additional incurred cost, like travel (and lodging, maybe), and time off from work, may not make it practical for many folks.

The armorer class is probably a better, or maybe a more practical, investment for the agency armorer, gun store employee (especially if the store foots the cost) or serious enthusiast (like a competitor). That $250, plus any additional accrued costs, is worth a lot of ammunition & range time, and is almost half the cost of some of the guns, even at retail in some places. ;)

Each individual has gotta balance priorities. If you think the Glock class is expensive, look at the cost for a private citizen to attend a SIG Classic armorer class.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  14. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

Agreed, you can't have too many good contacts.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  15. glkdawg45

glkdawg45

I finally took the course, about a month or so ago. Yes, $250 is a bit pricey, but I did enjoy it and got some insightful information out of it. As for renewing in 3 yrs, that is up for debate. But if you divide 3yrs into $250, that is $83.33 a yr. Two meals eating out, one GSSF match if you shoot 3 Divs, etc...So the price really isn't too bad.

Semper Fi :usmc:

Jsferrazza likes this.
  16. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I took it last week. I took it, after 25 years of working on Glocks, because it was a prerequisite for the 3-day Glock instructor course I also took last week.

If you have a need for the certification, it is a good course. As far as I recall, I didn't learn anything I didn't know, but was happy to see that Glock agrees with me about pretty much every opinion I have on Glock shooting, malfunctions and repairs.

If you just want to learn to fix Glocks, you could learn as much from the internet in a day - it is basically disassembly, reassembly, function checks and parts replacement - learning about the cycle of functioning and which parts are involved and that type of thing. There isn't really any other type of gunsmithing that is applicable to Glocks, contrary to the opinions of those who keep making them nonfunctional, then starting threads about it here (many Glock Talk topics, such as "limpwristing" shooters and the "$.25 trrigger job" were mentioned). If you are already involved in gunsmithing it is useful to learn about Glocks, but it won't make you any type of gunsmith or have much application to fixing any other gun.

I like having it on my "shooting resume" but I have testified in court as an expert on Glock functioning long before I ever took this class.

They did provide lunch, but I took the course in a prison, so we had fried chicken in the staff canteen - I may be due a partial refund (it was pretty good chicken).

Jsferrazza likes this.
  17. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

If you actually have potential to make money as a Glock armorer, take the course.

If you want to learn to fix Glocks, it is not worth $250 to learn. Spend the money on more useful things.

I took it because I wanted it on my resume and I didn't have to pay for it.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  18. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip

Where are Glock armorers with dear B. Hussein's new $2,250 licensing fee for gunsmiths? It is utter and complete bull****, but it's the law for now.
    Moon

19. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

A Glock Armorer is not a gunsmith

mrmedina likes this.
  20. WeeWilly

WeeWilly

For me personally, I would spend it on ammo (reloading components more precisely) or likely a defensive handgun class (doing more of these as I have started to carry earlier this year).

On the other hand, it would be better for the Glock community if you took it. Having one more person out there when the next, "I took my Glock apart, didn't change anything, really, and now it shoots all by itself" thread pops up? Well, having even one more person out there that might be close to that person and can take a look, that has to be a good thing. :)

Jsferrazza likes this.