GLOCK Armorer's Course

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by Jsferrazza, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Hey Guys!

So as we all know, one of the perks to joining GSSF is the ability to take the GLOCK Armorer's Course, but I don't know anybody who has actually taken the course. There's a class coming up in a month about 15 minutes from my house, but before I drop $250.00 on it I wanted to get some opinions.

If anybody has taken the course, can they give me a little insight on how the course goes and their opinion on it?

Also, after taking the course, have you used it to repair anybody else's GLOCK?

With all of the people in my area who own GLOCKS, it would be nice to make a little money doing something I love - working on guns (GLOCKS)!

Thanks!

2. Kifaru

Kifaru

Heck I'd like to take it just to work on my own

Jsferrazza likes this.

3. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

That's my thought as well.

Big Bird likes this.
  4. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

Unless you want the "certification" that comes with being a Glock armorer, they're pretty easy to work on.

SH10151 and Bren like this.
  5. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

It would be nice to make some money on the side working on GLOCKS.

6. bigbrother1984

bigbrother1984

Spend your money on ammo. The course is a waste of money. Glocks are the easiest guns to work on if you have any skill whatsoever. If you can make toast, you can diagnose and swap parts on a Glock.

user1 and Valmet like this.
  7. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The class is very worthwhile. I first took it in 1997 and have re-certified every 3 years since then. There is no substitute for hands on training and learning how to do things the right way. You will learn far more about Glock pistols than just taking them apart and putting them back together, I have been servicing other peoples Glocks since 1997 but do a lot of free work. I do charge $20.00 for sight installation and alignment.

I will re-certify again in 2018

Cost - $250.00 US Length – 8 Hrs (1 Day) Class Hrs – 8am to 5pm Certification – 3 Yrs *Student supplies safety glasses for eye protection and a small flashlight. *GLOCK provides lunch meal unless otherwise noted. *Certified Armorer Certification for all GLOCK Model Pistols (except G18/C Select-Fire models). Morning (8:00 – 12:00) • Introduction • Safety Rules • Safe Action System Design • Function of Safeties • Unloading & Clearing • Field Stripping & Reassembly • Detail Disassembly & Reassembly of Slide Lunch Break Afternoon (1:00 – 5:00) • Detail Disassembly & Reassembly of Receiver • Fire Control Component Configurations / Engagement • Multiple Practice Disassembly & Reassembly of Entire Pistol • Options / Alternate Parts Offered • Sights / Tools • Diagnostics / Trouble Shooting Guides • Review • Written Examination (Minimum Required Score 80%) • Class Completion & Farewell NOTE: This is a generic agenda and may be altered somewhat by the Instructor.

8. Equus Pallidus

Equus Pallidus

I
    Took the course years ago when Gen 1s were still going strong. It was a good course. I don't know if its still taught the same but yea I worked on several pistols for people. I would say now though if your gonna do it, do it because you want to, you know, something to do. Because the reality is. If you can change a light bulb you can work on a glock. Back when I took the class glocks were still fairly new and there were not thousands of you tube videos showing you everything.

Jsferrazza likes this.
  9. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've been through it 4 times (5th upcoming), and each time I learn something new. It might be something about the older models that's now known, or something about the new models, or something that's changed in the manufacturing, etc. Keeping up with changes, revisions and refinements isn't a bad thing. Things change all the time.

It's also occasionally interesting and helpful to listen to the experiences of other armorers attending the course. Sometimes it may be a diagnostic trick you pick up, or even some problems some agency has been experiencing and has either resolved, or may still be trying to resolve. Getting to know the area's Glock LE rep isn't a bad thing to do, either. (It's also a quick way to pick up a couple of parts that you may need, since the instructor and rep usually have a lot of new parts with them and are often generous. ;) )

While the design is relatively simple and one of the easier ones to maintain, and for which to make simple parts replacement repairs, that doesn't mean everyone attending the classes may not experience any problems, or make some unexpected mistakes, and that's after being given a new armorer manual, watching the instructor demonstrate something and also seeing the computer generated lesson throughout the class. (I sometimes shudder to think of some of the students going back and actually working on duty weapons that hit the street, but then I've usually felt that way with each armorer class I've taken, for all the various makes of firearms, and I've reached the mid-20's for the number of classes I've attended.)

I think I've seen at least 3 students initially fail the written test in the Glock classes I've attended (1 of them was a guy from a stocking gun store, but a couple others were cops).

It never hurts to learn more about how the company recommends maintenance, inspections and repairs be done with their guns. ;)

It's also handy to be able to call and ask to speak with a Glock tech, as an armorer, and get some faster help for warranty parts being sent, or occasionally learn about a new parts revision that hasn't hit the online parts list, etc.

It's worth going to, in my opinion, and while the price has climbed quite a bit from the earlier days, it's still not out of line with the classes being offered for other makes/models, and still less expensive than many.

10. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

working on and Knowing how to do it right are TWO Different things! Knowing the correct order to do things makes a difference.

My last recert one guy "knew everything" he loudly told this to the class.

He did not pass the test.

Jagr, 72Cheyenne and Jsferrazza like this.
  11. misunderestimated

misunderestimated

I have gone to this class and felt it was a good value, I left the class with greater knowledge then when I walked in .

I am constantly working to enrich myself with additional Knowledge, if that what your looking to do its worth the time and effort, If you expecting to learn the secrets of the world here you will be let down, Your expectations should be to learn how to service a Glock fire arm , Thats what your going to learn,

Jsferrazza likes this.
  12. fastbolt

fastbolt

One of the other advantages I didn't specifically mention is that after completing the class you'll have a better insight in understanding some of the GT threads where someone posted they're now having problems with their Glock after having made some "improvements", adding new parts, "completely disassembling it for the first time", etc. ;)

glkdawg45, Gary1911A1 and Jsferrazza like this.
  13. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

Becoming a GT hero, per say LOL. Definitely a perk.

14. domino1

domino1

I have taken the course several times. In the past it was $100 and has been increased to $250.

The manual covers more today with the various models especially the 42/43.

You will be able to buy parts directly from Glock which a non-armorer could not buy. Also the prices are cheaper than other sources but you might have to wait longer.

My last class I have a Gen 2 19 and the instructor told us to look out for the older style slide lock spring. This skinny spring could fail with a piece in the frame and you would have to get your frame replaced. Glock gave me a replacement part and I potentially avoided having to get a frame replaced if the spring failed.

I have always learned something new at every class.

In the past the test was 50 questions that were 2 points each. The new test is 25 questions and 4 points each. They have dumbed it down over the years to make it easier to pass.

Now the class is more commercial with various accessory items for sale at reduced prices. I bought some trays to hold parts. Since I recertified four times Glock did send me some other items.

If the class is local and you don't have to get a hotel it is more palatable to take it.

I don't normally work on other peoples pistols. If you don't have some sort of insurance I would be leary of doing this in the event some one wants to sue you for some reason. Keep that in mind if you want to go down that road.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
    Jsferrazza likes this.
  15. Gary1911A1

Gary1911A1

I'd like to take the course. Wish they would offer it before or after some GSSF Matches. I bet people would take it.

Gary, class size is limited to 33 entries, and it is up to a host to request a class.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016
    Jsferrazza likes this.
  16. DannyR

DannyR Moderator Millennium Member

The schedule is updated weekly, but 2016 is filled.

17. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

There still appears to be open seats in a lot of the classes. I know for sure theres open seats in the class near my house.

18. Lt. Donn

Lt. Donn PSO Survivor. currently in NW Georgia

All the previous posters pretty much answered your question (I hope)...I've been thru 4 times, learned something new every time and very good refresher training, But, each time it was on someone elses dime...so I guess you just have to evaluate your $ situation and see...personally, I think you should do it at least once to see for yourself

Jsferrazza likes this.
  19. Jsferrazza

Jsferrazza

The money is the real factor here. I can definitely swing $250 for the class and think that the knowledge gained is worth it, but I have to consider that $250 could go towards another defensive shooting class, a good amount of ammo (November is coming quick!), or even a good chunk towards another GLOCK (I have a GSSF pistol purchase card burning a hole in my pocket).

Thanks for everyone's input here on the course!