close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock armorer wouldn't sell parts!

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Z71, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Z71

Z71

Got an old 17 in my collection, a 1986 gen 1 pistol. The nearest Glock armorer is about 50 miles away at a gun/sporting goods store. The armorer is the stores gunsmith, and I've bought Glock parts from them before.

Been wanting to buy a new slide hold-open for my old Glock. Have been to the store twice to get the hold-open, but have missed the armorer both times and the other employees have no idea what piece I want.

My Daughter and her police officer boyfriend were going to the store to buy something cop related. I thought I would just send some money and get my part maybe.

UHHH...NO...! The armorer won't sell Glock parts anymore unless he puts them on... and charges for it. Daughter said they were, and especialy the armorer, quite terse to her boyfriend!

So is this the normal thing for gun store based Glock armorers?

Not that big a deal, I have pretty much taken my business elsewhere anyhow as the clerks are rude and the prices high. They can't seem to figure out why business is declining(was discussing that with one of the friendlier clerks awhile back). I mean, I sort of understand the Glock part thing. A guy could shoot his foot off or something trying to stick a part on a gun, and maybe sue the store. But you would think the folks would at least be nice to the customers!

Oh well. I'll just order my part online and be done with it. Only Glock armorer, short of a police department armorer, in the state is now useless to me.

2. WinstonSmith

WinstonSmith lovebirds

My local Glock store (law enforcement distribution site) also sells to the public. They have 2 armorers but will sell parts to the public as well. I don't know how much they charge since I buy my parts online. It's so easy to change a slide stop lever that anyone can do it, so this is pretty silly. And as long as they are just reselling stock parts I don't think they would have much liability.

3. GSD17

GSD17 Thread Killer

GLOCK tells us not to buy parts for resale.

I wouldn't charge to put a part on, but I wouldn't sell parts either.

Every armorer differs.

4. Z71

Z71

That may be the armorers deal. Not sure as I've bought pieces from him before such as a recoil spring and a mag latch. Just seemed strange as they sell parts(various makes and models) over the counter, have sold me Glock parts in the past, but now won't sell Glock parts. Maybe Glock told him not to.

Could be that the whole stores attitude rubbed off on the armorer. Could be that it was Monday.

My daughters cop boyfriend is pretty young looking too(just thought of that!). Armorer may not have felt comfortable selling him pistol parts! Maybe I shouldn't get my pantys in a bunch over the deal!

5. Ghost Tracker

Ghost Tracker

You shouldn't worry to much about it. No disrespect, at all, intended toward GLOCK Armorers...but it's not like a slide-release requires an armorer for installation. Fitting & trimming is completely unnecessary. Just order it from one of our fine, site-supporting, GT Sponsors and put it in. Pay attention to which side of the pin the leg of the spring goes. It's a GLOCK. 21 years after it's built & still good as new!

6. Bushflyr

Bushflyr ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsnɾ Millennium Member

What he said. There's not a single part in a Glock that requires a so-called "armorer" to install. Go online, buy, and be done with it. Glocks are a total "plug and play" pistol. You can definitely tune them, and that takes some skill, but everything else is just swapping parts which can be done by a blind monkey on fermented bananas. :lv:

7. Picketeer

Picketeer

Many places to buy GLOCK parts other from the armorer! :thumbsup:

8. Gunfixr

Gunfixr

As said, Glock tells us not to sell parts over the counter or risk losing Armorer status. I generally don't charge for installation of purchased parts. It kind of depends on what I'm doing. Slide lock, no. Too quick to worry with charging.

9. Picketeer

Picketeer

There are those myself for one, that like to do our own repairs/fixes to our guns thereby eliminating the added expense of some of the so called gunsmiths. I am not saying by this that there are not good ones out there too, but I am saying that there are some that claim to be that probably are not!...........No offense meant to anyone! :thumbsup:

10. DrKyle

DrKyle

You mean something on a glock requires an armorer? Really? No way... I thought of it more a kin to lego's myself. Heck, check ebay for parts if you don't want to patronize a GT supporter.

11. WIG19

WIG19 Light left on

What he said; all of it. Armorers are not in the parts business. When you tack on what Glock wants to ship even small parts, or what it would cost the store to stock one of the distributor-assembled "Parts Kits" it's not worth it. My starting point is if you need it personally, get it from Lonewolf or someone and, if you're a customer anyway, I'll put it on. In fact, I'd put it on anyway unless you're a doorknob.

Most of the stuff I've put in has been from a parts collection assembled over time that I've just given away. Like putting fresh front sights on hardly fired but severely worn LE trades sitting around. If it's an apparent warranty issue, I'm gonna take your gun's SN and send for the part if you don't want to spend anything. When I get it, it goes in for nothing. (Most armorers are part-time doing something else anyway.) If not solvable that way, you're welcome to call Smyrna.

As GSD17 said, they all differ. Even the old practice of wholesale mag spring replacement no-charge at GSSF matches has gone away in some places, depending upon who's working the match. Again, armorers are not parts distributors; there's no "set up shop" parts kit that gets handed to everyone at the end of class, either.

:patriot:

12. tampashooters

tampashooters Shellback

Have your tried getting a part out of Springfield Armory lately?

13. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

Yeah, right! :freak:

Like the last thing I would do is give some certified armorer a chance to screw up one of my pistols - One of the main reasons, 'Why' I bought a Glock is to be able to repair it all by myself.

Now, the same factory that has blown up its own firing range, once, and screwed-up simple repair jobs on one of my pistols, twice, tells me I'm not allow to fix my own gun.

For this I gave up active thumb safeties? :shocked: