Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I passed it yesterday. Made a 100 on the test. :supergrin: Class was well worth taking. We took the pistol apart so many times I believe I could do it in my sleep now. No joke, we musta disasembled and re-assembled the pistol at least 20 times. Got to play with the trigger set-up's and feel the difference in the stock spring vs the NY1 and NY2. Did everything but install sights cause we only had one sight tool. Learned how to do it, just didnt practice it. Now, who needs their Glock worked on?? :supergrin:

·
you son of a
1,394 Posts
Are you gonna be in Destin this weekend by any chance? I need night sights and an extended slide release on a G21SF.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I passed it yesterday. Made a 100 on the test. :supergrin: Class was well worth taking. We took the pistol apart so many times I believe I could do it in my sleep now. No joke, we musta disasembled and re-assembled the pistol at least 20 times. Got to play with the trigger set-up's and feel the difference in the stock spring vs the NY1 and NY2. Did everything but install sights cause we only had one sight tool. Learned how to do it, just didnt practice it. Now, who needs their Glock worked on?? :supergrin:
Just be careful what you do to the guns if you plan to work on Glocks as a business. Glock factory training does not supercede federal law. I do grip reductions as a business & felt I had to obtain an FFL (needed for shipping the guns, anyway). No way I could say that changing the grips is not "customizing" a gun. If you do the work for free, I guess it's not a "business" though. See the excerpt below from the ATF website.

I took the armorers course a few years back, but I missed one question on the test, though :crying:.

(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? [Back]

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. See Item 16, “Federal Excise Tax” in the General Information section of this publication.

[27 CFR 478.11]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just be careful what you do to the guns if you plan to work on Glocks as a business. Glock factory training does not supercede federal law. I do grip reductions as a business & felt I had to obtain an FFL (needed for shipping the guns, anyway). No way I could say that changing the grips is not "customizing" a gun. If you do the work for free, I guess it's not a "business" though. See the excerpt below from the ATF website.

I took the armorers course a few years back, but I missed one question on the test, though :crying:.

(I1) Is a license needed to engage in the business of engraving, customizing, refinishing or repairing firearms? [Back]

Yes. A person conducting such activities as a business is considered to be a gunsmith within the definition of a dealer. See Item 16, “Federal Excise Tax” in the General Information section of this publication.

[27 CFR 478.11]
I got it just to work on my gun, plus to help fellow officers out with their guns. As my buddy which went thru the course with me said "if we did this to get rich, we messed up, Glocks dont break." But If someone needs something, I'll try to help out. I have checked out gettin a business license.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are you gonna be in Destin this weekend by any chance? I need night sights and an extended slide release on a G21SF.
Nope, gotta work the regular job this weekend, fighting crime and or evil. :supergrin:

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I got it just to work on my gun, plus to help fellow officers out with their guns. As my buddy which went thru the course with me said "if we did this to get rich, we messed up, Glocks dont break." But If someone needs something, I'll try to help out. I have checked out gettin a business license.
The license indicated in the ATF cut above was referring to a Federal Firearms License. In addition to my FFL, I had to get a local business license... to get an FFL, you must comply with local codes. My county business license cost was twice as much per year as the FFL! Good thing I am not going to sell any guns... then I would have to obtain a state firearms license, too - which requires bonding. What a mess!

·
you son of a
1,394 Posts
Nope, gotta work the regular job this weekend, fighting crime and or evil. :supergrin:
Good luck with that. If you get a report Saturday of a Dodge breaking the sound barrier on FLA 85 somewhere up near Crestview, that isn't me. Probably.

Guess I'll wait for the GSSF match in July.

·
Retired police officer and retired holster maker
979 Posts
I'm a Police Officer. Is there a web site that shows upcoming Armorer course dates and locations?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What DannyR said. My instructor was Jim Greene. Very good guy. Took his time with us and showed us everything, sometimes even twice or more for the slower ones in the group.:rofl:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
information on how to work on a Glock for free.

No need to spend the money on the school.

steve

·
Banned
3,084 Posts
Dammit.....I want to go to GLOCK armorer school.:crying::crying:

but I'm not qualified I guess.:crying:

·
20,407 Posts
Steve,

Have you taken the class and did not like it?

Do you not like it because you cannot take it?

The class is worthwile to eligible participants. I first took it in 1997 and recertify every three years, the next being March 2009. It's worthwhile to be able to ask the instructor questions and get on-the-spot correct answers. It's worthwhile to recertify to keep up-to-date on any significant changes and/or improvements. A manual or DVD alone does not make one an armorer. Repetitive hands on experience under the watchful eye of the instructor is quite helpful. In case you are wondering, the class fees come out of my pocket.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Going along the same lines as DannyR, my armorers manual is a 2002 edition. The instructor said Glock was tryin to get the current edition out, but hasnt as of yet. There was about 9 pages of new info we got from the class that is unavailable from cd's and online. Mainly tech info, but info none the less.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Also a lot of police departments do not want the liability of having someone work on there guns who does not have the certification. I am going to the course july 1st

1 - 20 of 21 Posts