Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
All this talk about 'dying' cartridges. I bought a case of 10mm DT the first day it was available back in 2004 I think it was. I actually have a full box or two from back then when they stamped the date on the inside box flap. Without Glock, DT would not have started up. DT and a few other companies who load it all hot started with just 10mm. Who knows if Glock would be making 10mm's today without DT? So, you're welcome.

Thanks to Glock for keeping the 10mm on life support and Mike McNett for bringing it out of obscurity.

EDIT: Thanks should be given to Eric as well. Without GT things would have been different. I'm not a psychic so I don't know how they would be different but no doubt they would.

·
Banned
2,631 Posts
If not for Glock, the 10mm would likely have vanished into obscurity 25 years ago. For years the Glock 20 and 29 were the only viable and affordable options for people who wanted a 10mm.

For whatever reason, Glock saw the potential and hung in there with it. More people are interested in it now than have ever been. It might not ever be as popular as 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 Auto, but it's here to stay for the foreseeable future.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wasn't "TAZZ" part of this?
He was on GT and in the 10 ring when I found this place. There were a bunch of guys goating Mike to go commercial and they'd buy it, including myself. I can't remember if Mike really needed any goating to start up or not. I know he started with 10mm and am almost sure 357 sig was second. Also unsure if Tazz10mm had anything to do with load development or the business at all. I did not other than buying a bunch of ammo from him and talking about the ammo and hunting from time to time. There are others who are still around from time to time. He loaded it really hot for the first couple of years.

Reactions: 9jeeps

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
224 Boz is what I associate with Tazz
You taught a lot of us about proper recoil spring weight for different Glocks. Very good info with data to back it up. And a decade later Glock figured it out (probably from you on GT) and implemented the changes.

Reactions: 9jeeps and MarkCO

·
Registered
215 Posts

·
rip "Bud"
10,907 Posts
He was on GT and in the 10 ring when I found this place. There were a bunch of guys goating Mike to go commercial and they'd buy it, including myself. I can't remember if Mike really needed any goating to start up or not. I know he started with 10mm and am almost sure 357 sig was second. Also unsure if Tazz10mm had anything to do with load development or the business at all. I did not other than buying a bunch of ammo from him and talking about the ammo and hunting from time to time. There are others who are still around from time to time. He loaded it really hot for the first couple of years.
Yep! I have a couple boxes of early ammo... I've pretty much saved it back for moon and mars shots.

Reactions: gatorboy

·
Super Moderator
4,057 Posts
It's too bad DT loads are 100 to 200 fps less than stated on the box. Perhaps he started with true hot loads and dialed back for legal reasons.
I get velocities very close to the box data. If you are getting 100 to 200 fps less, something is wrong in your data recording system, or you have a shorter barrel, premature unlocking, or something else.

·
Cuhootnified Roamer
10,387 Posts
I get velocities very close to the box data. If you are getting 100 to 200 fps less, something is wrong in your data recording system, or you have a shorter barrel, premature unlocking, or something else.
There seemed to be a batch of DT ammo, about six, maybe seven years ago that fell short of stated velocities.
I chronographed them and an older batch and noted a discrepancy. The older batch was on the money, the newer (at the time) batch was slow by as much as 200fps.

However; that hasn’t been an issue for a few years. I retested subsequent batches and they’ve all been good to go.

Some people may have dropped DT after that issue and think that it’s still the case that their ammo is slower than advertised.

Reactions: MarkCO

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I jumped on the 10mm pretty early. I kinda fell out of it for awhile, but am getting back into it. I was very curious about the DT ammo early on and bought/shot a few boxes. Hot stuff.
Anyone remember when Swamp Fox started selling?
I still have a few of his rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Making lunch
1,006 Posts
The 10mm is a sweet round. I haven’t been shooting my G20 as often, but I don’t see it leaving our home.

Reactions: refugeepj

·
Registered
37,587 Posts
If not for Glock, the 10mm would likely have vanished into obscurity 25 years ago. For years the Glock 20 and 29 were the only viable and affordable options for people who wanted a 10mm.

For whatever reason, Glock saw the potential and hung in there with it. More people are interested in it now than have ever been. It might not ever be as popular as 9mm, 40 S&W or 45 Auto, but it's here to stay for the foreseeable future.
I like the 10, bought one of the 1st Delta, did load dev with that & a friends Bren. I did not get a Glock until the g20sf came out, always hated the g20 grip. Its a good combo, more guns now than ever, but Imo, always a niche/cult rd. If you have one or more, certainly worth reloading for. Only factory my 10s have seen was original Norma & some Pmc, but that was just for the brass.:cheers:

·
20,713 Posts
The 10mm is becoming more popular all the time and I don't think it will be long now before Remingchester, Speer and Federal star producing full power loads for it.

I'm looking forward to a 180 Grain HST load at about 1250 fps that sells for the same price for a 50 round box of the 45 ACP HST ammo. A 180 grain Bonded Gold dot load would also be good.

I've used underwood, Double Tap, and Buffalo Bore and Underwood has the best prices for the specialty ammo but they need to sell more 50 round boxes in 10mm caliber like they do with some other calibers. The only 50 round boxes they sell in 10mm are 155, 165, and 180 grain FMJ ammo.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I'm looking forward to a 180 Grain HST load at about 1250 fps that sells for the same price for a 50 round box of the 45 ACP HST ammo. A 180 grain Bonded Gold dot load would also be good.
If you catch Cabela's on sale, they offer the 180 grain Sig Sauer for pretty close to that. Even though it's FMJ, the prices are getting more reasonable and hopefully the Sig offering will encourage others to be more competitive.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
All this talk about 'dying' cartridges. I bought a case of 10mm DT the first day it was available back in 2004 I think it was. I actually have a full box or two from back then when they stamped the date on the inside box flap. Without Glock, DT would not have started up. DT and a few other companies who load it all hot started with just 10mm. Who knows if Glock would be making 10mm's today without DT? So, you're welcome.

Thanks to Glock for keeping the 10mm on life support and Mike McNett for bringing it out of obscurity.

EDIT: Thanks should be given to Eric as well. Without GT things would have been different. I'm not a psychic so I don't know how they would be different but no doubt they would.
The "boutique" ammo companies have allowed the 357 Sig and 10mm to reach their full potential. The big companies may look down their nose at these calibers but at the boutique companies they are best sellers.

·
Registered
37,587 Posts
What we need is the original Norma load. Cooper approved. 200 grain JTC at an honest 1,200 fps.
Except as a jhp. My g20sf is a light trail gun with 200gr lfp @ 1200fps. At that recoil level, I dont feel it offers much over 45acp for self def against two legged vermin.

·
Banned
8,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd like to see 185 gr. offering from BT with the same meplat (.32) as their 200 GC or better yet larger meplat (.35) with GC. Getting 1250-1300 from a 4.5" tube would be fairly easy for an average handloader.

About the 20 vs. 50 round boxes: yes! I'm Glad DT still offers 50 rd. boxes. It may not be as hot as is loaded by some but it is quality and makes the 10mm worth having. Other factory ammo, I'd rather have a 40.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.