Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Glock 32C that I really like. It has the extended mag release, slide release and a lighter trigger installed. I have been wanting to get into the local IDPA matches, but I was told my 32C is not legal for IDPA due to the compensation. This is ironic, since I carry this gun freqently for personal defense. I really like the .357 sig round over the 9mm.

I also have a Glock 26 that I use for concealed carry, but the grip is so small I don't think it would be good for competition. What is a good Glock to use for IDPA matches?

Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Originally posted by kerrywaz1
I have a Glock 32C that I really like. It has the extended mag release, slide release and a lighter trigger installed. I have been wanting to get into the local IDPA matches, but I was told my 32C is not legal for IDPA due to the compensation. This is ironic, since I carry this gun freqently for personal defense. I really like the .357 sig round over the 9mm.

I also have a Glock 26 that I use for concealed carry, but the grip is so small I don't think it would be good for competition. What is a good Glock to use for IDPA matches?

Thanks.
You are correct that the 32C is not allowed in IDPA. I have allowed them in my local matches because I would rather have the shooter shoot than not, but I urged the shooter to obtain a standard barrel for competition. They would not be allowed in a sanctioned match.

The 26 is not competitive, but don't let that scare you away from shooting it anyway, since it is a frequent carry weapon for you. Give it a fair shot and see how it does.

I personally like to shoot the full-sized Glocks in competition, and I also carry them, generally. I shoot a G17 or a G22 in SSP, and a G34 in ESP. I shoot a G21 in CDP. I have carried all of these pistols, although the 34 doesn't get carried much compared to the others.

My recommendation would be the 17. It is an excellent all-around pistol, and not bad for concealed carry.

Andy C.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Your cheapest solution would be to get a standard barrel for your 32c. You might even want to get it in a .40.

Van

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What about the extended mag release and the slide stop? I have read somewhere that IDPA considers these mods to be illegal unless they were factory installed or Glock had/has these mods as factory installed options for the particular model in question, in this case the G32.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Andy is right. Get a solid barrel and you are good to go. Note that caliber conversion barrels are not approved by IDPA for SSP although you can read the rules to the effect that it might just move you into ESP. Or figure that a local MD wouldn't notice or care.

The magazine catch and slide stop are OK if Glock parts even if not factory installed.

If you want a new gun, the 17 is pretty basic. As I told one guy, the Glock 17 was brought out by Gaston because he was ashamed that there was no Austrian gun in serious competition for a new Austrian service pistol in the 1970s and wanted his army to be well equipped with a good domestic weapon. Everything else is just marketing to sell stuff to dumb Americans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I put a G23 barrel in my G32, can I load and use the G32 (.357 sig) magazines OK with .40 S&W, or should I buy G23 magazines?

G

·
No one that I know will care if you have a .40 caliber barrel in your 32. If a SO or MD is that anal they need to find another sport.
The only issue I would have is someone using a 9mm conversion barrel in a Glock chambered for .40. Guess that would be OK for ESP, but not SSP.

·
NRA Life Member
68,367 Posts
Originally posted by kerrywaz1
The 17 and 34 are the standard IDPA guns - not much beats them in SSP and often in ESP as well.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm using a 21C in competition, both USPSA/IDPA but- I have a non ported barrel to stay within the rules. Mags aren't an issue, they feed either barrel with no issues.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Andrew Colglazier,

You say you shoot the 21 in CDP, I thought thought CDP was limited to 8 rounds? Do you just load to only 8?

·
Got Insurance?
7,064 Posts
You should consider shooting both your 26 and some version of your 32 in IDPA. If you carry your 26, you should compete with it from time to time, IMHO.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I second Mr. Koski's recommendation to shoot your 26 once in a while - especially if you carry it on a regular basis.

As far as 26's being competitive here's an anecdotal story:

Had some guy mouth off about how 26's weren't competitive and how he could beat anyone shooting one with his 19. So, I brought my 26 to the next match. We were both in the SSP sharpshooter category at the time - I finished 3rd and he finished 5th or 6th overall. He stopped talking bad about the 26 around me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The Glock model 26 and 27 are fine out to 15 to 30 yards, depending on your eyesight. It could be quicker to draw and faster to target transition at close range. At longer range or on partial targets the full-size models are arguably easier to shoot accurately because of the longer sight radius. The 26 and 27 are obviously good options as all-weather (summer clothing included) concealed carry guns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts