Glock and H&K

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by GLOCKinBABY, Mar 23, 2005.

1. GLOCKinBABY

GLOCKinBABY

Is H&K a better quality weapon than Glock? Reliability, controls, accuracy, ruggedness..etc..

2. joegerardi

joegerardi Lifetime Member Millennium Member

That's a hard call. H&K might have it in the accuracy dept. because Glocks never attemted to be anything more than "combat accurate," but there are some people that can shoot Glocks better than H&K's.

Reliability- both are renowned for reliability

Controls- Shooter's choice.

It really comes down to what blows your skirt up.

..Joe

3. JTG30

JTG30 INGO

4. bac1023

bac1023

I think they are, but that's only my opinion. HK happens to be my favorite gun manufacturer.

5. wade farley

wade farley Sonic 357 sig

:cool: Ditto!;f Have fun & stay safe!;f

6. HAMMERHEAD

HAMMERHEAD

I am a plastic molder by trade and I think the plastic H&K uses in the USP line is a little better than Glocks. The metal precision seems a little better too.
    Ergonomics are a toss up/personal preference.
    Accuracy edge goes to H&K, especially in .45acp and .40s&w.
    In my experience reliability is clearly in favor of H&K. My much loved Glock 20/10mm has been giving me problems with the new full cap. mags.
    My USP .40 has been flawless and handles the .40s&w with more accuracy and less recoil than a Glock 22/35.

7. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

I own several Glocks and an H&K P2000 and while I like the H&K a lot, I'll never buy another. H&K's customer relations makes Glock look warm and fuzzy. At least you can buy parts for a Glock. Try finding a flush magazine floorplate for the P2000. My dealer can't get em, H&K doesn't answer email on their webpage and I've searched the internet. H&K charges a lot for their pistols,they should support them. They've lost a customer in me.

8. litework

litework

Have you ever tried emailing Glock? Does Glock even have an email address or a 1-800 number? I will not buy another Glock until they update their craptacular webpage to include the latest pisols they offer. They've clearly shunned this responsibility and lost at least one G37 sale because of it. I consider that to be very poor customer service.

Although I've owned more Glocks than HK, I think the HK offering is a little better. I'm not sure it's the quality of the weapon. Glock obviously likes having cheap slide releases or catches, sights and guide rods on their guns. They don't have an ambidextrous magazine release. This doesn't hinder the performance of the weapon much and they can pass these cost savings onto the customer. A lot of people appreciate this. I consider it cheap. I'll pay more for these features, whether it be shelling out the dough in the aftermarket on the Glock or scraping together the extra cash to buy the USP.

9. oldsmith

oldsmith

I sent Kimber an e-mail with photo's of the problem and a nice clear write-up - they never responded. When I followed up with a written letter about a week later with the exact same info, they called the morning they got it. I'll bet gun manufacturers get flooded with emails. That's no excuse for poor customer service. If they can't support the medium, they shouldn't use it.

10. cole

cole Millennium Member

LINK

To answer your question, based off owning AND extensively shooting a Glock 23 and USP40cV1:
    Reliability = similar, edge to Glock over time due to simpler design
    Controls = Glock, HK has more that are not needed... more to break
    Accuracy = same, both defensive accuracy
    Ruggedness = Glock, fewer moving parts needed for gun to fire.

The HKUSP40c was the better made gun, tighter tolerances, better fit. But, for me, the Glock has the edge. The HK trigger sucks completely, even the LEM (long reset) is not great compared to the Glock stock.

Traded the USP40c on my (second) new Glock 23. Glock is all about utility 100%. I choose Glock because they're simple, cheap and they work.

11. whatsit?

whatsit? Mall Ninja

In a word - YES

12. Pred8tory

Pred8tory Retired Copper Lifetime Member

Yes, but at least you can easily buy parts for the Glock, you didn't address that aspect of H&K ownership. It's hard to find parts. As for the design, I'll give the edge to H&K on ergonomics, however their design is a big clunky and results in a much shorter barrel length in proportion to the size of the pistol when compared to a Glock. For example, a Glock 26 has a bout a 3.5" barrel, the hot new H&K P2000SK only has about a 2.5" barrel. What kind of ballistic performance are you going to get out of a 2.5" barrel? No thanks.

13. los_hooligan

los_hooligan I don't recall.

i've always liked the usp design compared to the glock. i had a glock that had a failure to fire and it ruined it for me.

14. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

They all have thier quirks. Glock offers a lot of gun for the money. HK and SIG are much nicer in many catagories, but they also cost almost twice as much. I have owned/do own all three (Glock, HK, SIG classic). I still love my Glock and do not regret purchasing any gun from any of those comapanies.

Just remember one thing. It seems the more you pay for a gun, the more accessories cost. So it's expensive all over. I don't mind that too much, since I consider them the Ferrari of the auto handgun world, it would be like putting flying J gas in a Ferrari.

Sorta think of the HK/SIG vs. Glock as Rolex/Tag Heuer (sp?)/Omega, etc. Vs. Timex. Both get the job done, it's just how fancy you want to be with it.

15. HalfGlocked

HalfGlocked

I had a usp .45 and got rid of it, in my experience with H&K
    they are reliable, accurate, and seemed tough enough, but the trigger reset was horrible.

16. litework

litework

I didn't address it because I agree with you. HK parts are very expensive, especially for the newer P2000 series. As you said, you purchased a newly designed P2000 SK and you got the headaches that go with it. I hope that this platform will gain in popularity and create a demand and increase the supply for the parts you seek. I have been fortunate enough not to want to add anything to my HK (except a few ultra expensive magazines). It is great the way it is. I feel that the HK .45 is a lot less clunky than a Glock 20/21. I agree with you about the subcompact, as well. I won't wear anything smaller than a Glock 23 and have yet to find a subcompact I like, but 2.5" ain't much. The Glock 26 might be the lesser of two evils.

I'm not a huge HK fan, but there have been some negative statements about HK that I have not found to be true. The USP does not cost twice as much as a Glock. My HK was priced within 200 bucks of my full sized Glock. The folks at HK do answer their email. I happened to email HK before work this moring (7:21AM)in an attempt to dispel an internet rumor about their warranty service, and I received a reply from them at 8:53AM. That's the quickest response I've received from anyone. Glock's unavailability to the consumer is very frustrating to me. The year Glock last updated their website would make a good answer to trivial pursuit question.

17. Brander

Brander

I've found that H&K answers their email rapidly too. Also, talked to them on the phone once and they were very helpful.

Never needed customer support with my Glocks, so no experience there.

18. big68

big68

I just bought an HK USP 45, how bout posting some responses over at that thread. Just pimping my own thread. And it is my first HK so I am welcoming myself aboard.

19. bunkerbuster

bunkerbuster

well, as for me, I wanted these 3 pistols. Glock 19, H&K tactical and Sig-Sauer.

I did get my glock 19 because I like the trigger.
    I am planning to get H&K Tactical, because people said it is more accurate than USP. (sadly, i only show usp, not tactical)
    I shot some sigs, and it is accurate.

My point is, I bought a Glock 19 first, because of the price and the ergonomics.

20. Duke of Lawnchair

Duke of Lawnchair

The USP is a well made firearm as is the Glock.

Although the USP40F was the first handgun I purchased, the ergonomics do not jive with me. I own one USP, couple of Sigs and a few Glocks.

I thought I would never warm to the Glocks, but they are my "go to" handguns. Their ergonomics as well as the Sigs jive very well with me.

I'm debating if I should get rid of the USP in favor for something else.

-Jim