Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a new CCW and it seems that glocks might have the ideal action for my needs. If I’m not mistaken, and I might be, the strikers are cocked (compressed) only when the trigger is pulled. The other striker-fired pistols are pre-cocked to a much greater degree when the slide is racked, at least from my research. I have watched videos of a cut-away glock and it looks like the striker might be compressed a very small amount upon racking the slide, but it’s hard to tell. I am concerned that leaving the striker spring fully or almost fully compressed for long periods of time will weaken it, but with a glock the spring is not compressed enough to hurt. I am looking at the model 43, 43x, and 26. If my info is wrong about the action please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not had a chance to get by my local dealer to check out the guns. If the 43x will conceal well in an ankle rig then I’ll probably get that. If not, then one of the others. The 42 looks good too, but I like the 9mm cartridge.

·
Registered
488 Posts
leaving a spring compressed for long periods of time will not harm or weaken the spring. what weakens it in the constant compression and relaxation cycles. even if it did, a striker spring is a very cheap part to replace and quite easy to do. its a less than $2 part so cheap enough to keep a few spares if it worries you.

·
NRA Life Member
66,554 Posts
I am looking for a new CCW and it seems that glocks might have the ideal action for my needs. If I’m not mistaken, and I might be, the strikers are cocked (compressed) only when the trigger is pulled. The other striker-fired pistols are pre-cocked to a much greater degree when the slide is racked, at least from my research. I have watched videos of a cut-away glock and it looks like the striker might be compressed a very small amount upon racking the slide, but it’s hard to tell. I am concerned that leaving the striker spring fully or almost fully compressed for long periods of time will weaken it, but with a glock the spring is not compressed enough to hurt. I am looking at the model 43, 43x, and 26. If my info is wrong about the action please let me know. Thanks.
You are correct about the Glock striker spring.

I have not had a chance to get by my local dealer to check out the guns. If the 43x will conceal well in an ankle rig then I’ll probably get that. If not, then one of the others. The 42 looks good too, but I like the 9mm cartridge.
I carry a 43, not a 43X, for that reason. The concealment is worth more than a couple of extra rounds. If I want to wear my 43 in an ankle holster, I put in the flat-based magazine and it fits just fine, but if I want to carry it with a 10-round magazine I can do that too. If I had a 43X, I would not have the option. I can always add an inch and 4 rounds to my 43, but I can't take the inch away from a 43X.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
3,456 Posts
BS, Welcome to GT! I'm not sure a 43x is a good choice for an ankle rig but if you can pull it off, more power to you. If I'm not carrying my 19, I'm carrying my 43. I trade off capacity for concealability when I make that change but sometimes it has to be that way. IMO there's not that much difference between a 19 and a 43x so I'd opt for the 19. But everyone is different and you have to do what works best for you. :)

·
G43 Fanboy
1,996 Posts
... . If the 43x will conceal well in an ankle rig then I’ll probably get that. If not, then one of the others. ....
For that particular mode of carry, the G43 would work better than the G43X because the shorter grip and the G26 would be too thick and heavy. But just out of curiosity, why do you want to ankle carry? Is it going to be your back-up gun?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I
For that particular mode of carry, the G43 would work better than the G43X because the shorter grip and the G26 would be too thick and heavy. But just out of curiosity, why do you want to ankle carry? Is it going to be your back-up gun?
am accustomed to ankle carry so I’m comfortable with it. In winter I probably would carry it in an OWB holster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
leaving a spring compressed for long periods of time will not harm or weaken the spring. what weakens it in the constant compression and relaxation cycles. even if it did, a striker spring is a very cheap part to replace and quite easy to do. its a less than $2 part so cheap enough to keep a few spares if it worries you.
Is it easy for the average shooter to replace? If so, then maybe I could just routinely change it out every five years(?) or so.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T
BS, Welcome to GT! I'm not sure a 43x is a good choice for an ankle rig but if you can pull it off, more power to you. If I'm not carrying my 19, I'm carrying my 43. I trade off capacity for concealability when I make that change but sometimes it has to be that way. IMO there's not that much difference between a 19 and a 43x so I'd opt for the 19. But everyone is different and you have to do what works best for you. :)
The 19? I’ll check that one out too then, thanks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is it easy for the average shooter to replace? If so, then maybe I could just routinely change it out every five years(?) or so.
Yep, easy peezy....takes 5 minutes....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts