Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its been publicly stated(and factually supported) by LAV that Glocks are not inherently accurate pistols when compared to much of its competition. However, there are thousands of departments and tactical teams across the planet that issue Glocks as service weapons. Some are just fans of the weapons reliability and simplicity. But then again some are national level CT teams who are in need of the utmost in combat accuracy(GSG9 for example)

My question is this, do you believe its possible to tune a glock to match the accuracy of pistols like HK or the 1911 platform? Surely if so many Glocks are issued worldwide then they must have at least acceptable accuracy, I know mine does. But when compared to pistols like the 1911, what do you think a tuned glock could be capable of? What changes would YOU make?

***Please no LAV hate or Glock worship guys. I love Glocks as much as the next guy so dont maul me.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Glocks can be very accurate in the right hands.A high-end 1911 would more then likely be more accurate.Is an HK more accurate then Glock?Not in my opinion.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im not saying they arent accurate, mine is very accurate. But there are more accurate handguns out there. Its my belief that with a little tweaking the Glock could come close to a 1911 in terms of accuracy. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
391 Posts
A 1911 would be more intrinsically easier to shoot, but a Glock may be more adapt for self defense. However... What do the GSSF folk have to say?

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:upeyes: In terms of practical accuracy? I have long failed to see any appreciable difference.

Most of these pistols are just plain more accurate than the shooter. I've often watched high end 1911's punch nice clean 4" groups @ 15 yards; but, I can do the same thing with a Glock. If another shooter slows down and starts printing 1 1/2" groups; I'll, probably, be able to slow down and print within 2" while standing right next to him. (I've done it.) But, this isn't really what combat pistol shooting is all about. I can print a 2" group with a Glock at 15 yards all day long; and, that's good enough for me.

How do you accurize a Glock? I don't know; tighter barrel lugs, maybe? There's just so very little to work with that I wouldn't even want to try.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Smooth out the trigger to make it more shootable. Throw in an aftermarket barrel with a supported chamber, and maybe a Caspian slide for a tighter frame to slide fit. Add a steel or tungsten guide rod to reduce some slop in the recoil stroke. Those are just the mods I would make. Im not criticizing the pistol, im just posing a question.

Example: ive seen videos of GSG9 using Glocks in their shooting house and training exercises. Those guys are right on par with our FBI's Hostage Rescue team in terms of what they do and what they need from a weapon. Our guys use a 1911(springfield pro) and they use Glock 17's. Im simply asking if you believe that the Glock is capable of the same kind of surgical accuracy(even out to 25 yards) as the 1911.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my first glock, a g21sf. I have a KKM barrel and 3.5 connector installed to shoot my reloads. I did not have any real decent groups as I was still trying to find a good load using the KKM barrel shooting lead. I am still getting used to the trigger after shooting 1911's for about 4yrs. The Glock Autopistol Magazine 2008 says on page 11 that the g21sf will shoot 1-5/8" at 25yds with 230g Federal HST HP! That's a good day for me shooting my Springfield Trophy Match at 25yds using semi-wadcutters. I don't know how much more accurate a Glock can get by adding aftermarket parts, but for what it was designed to do it does it well. At least I do know that the Federal 230g HST HP will get some nice groups at 25yds!

·
Just sayin'
4,637 Posts
I am accurate with my Glock 19 as I practice with it everytime I go out to the range. It is my go to handgun for HD/SHTF scenarios. I am accurate with the Glock 19 because I am confident in shooting with it. If I am not accurate with a firearm, most likely it is because of me not the firearm. Practice, practice, and then some more practice. Then the confidence and accuracy will come along soon enough.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
honestly, my glock 19 is a lot more accurate than it really needs to be for a self-defense pistol

to improve target accuracy on any glock, probably the two areas would be to ditch the combat sights (get a narrow front post), and then clean up the trigger a little and lighten the break. i think that would yield an immediate improvement

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
After bench testing, I know that my stock Glock 27 is way more accurate than me. Anyway, after some self-defense training, I've devalued having laser accuracy at 45 feet. Further, it's counterproductive even to entertain that mindset.

·
Registered
939 Posts
honestly, my glock 19 is a lot more accurate than it really needs to be for a self-defense pistol
+1...There are slightly more accurate guns at 25 yards out there, but the GLOCK is an SD combat pistol. The more accurate you try to make it, especially with aftermarket barrels, the less reliable it will be in most cases.

The GLOCK has loose tolerances for a reason...feeding reliability. There are plenty of 1911's and others that will hold a tighter group at match/competition distances, but they will also have more FTE/FTF's as a rule.

And at self-defense distances, I'd much rather have the reliability than another eighth-inch of accuracy at 10 or 15 feet.

I'll put any of my GLOCKs up against any other gun and out of 5000 rounds, I KNOW I'll have less jams (probably none) than your average 1911, even the $2500 ones.

I've not had ANY jam or problem in ANY of my GLOCKs for several years now, after the first couple mags in the first GLOCK I owned when I limpwristed a bit and had two or three FTE's.

Sure, I can already hear the "My 1911 hasn't had a jam in ten years" comments, but I'm speaking in general...there are always rare exceptions.

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
Smooth out the trigger to make it more shootable. Throw in an aftermarket barrel with a supported chamber, and maybe a Caspian slide for a tighter frame to slide fit. Add a steel or tungsten guide rod to reduce some slop in the recoil stroke. Those are just the mods I would make. Im not criticizing the pistol, im just posing a question.
Caspian slide? That's a questionable and very expensive way to attempt to improve accuracy on a Glock. The steel guide rod will smooth out the recoil impulse and improve reliability, but accuracy? I doubt it.

You can only smooth out a Glock's trigger by just so much; but, yeah, there's some room for increased accuracy there. Additional chamber support? Do you think you'll ever see any of this at the target?

Example: ive seen videos of GSG9 using Glocks in their shooting house and training exercises. Those guys are right on par with our FBI's Hostage Rescue team in terms of what they do and what they need from a weapon. Our guys use a 1911(springfield pro) and they use Glock 17's. Im simply asking if you believe that the Glock is capable of the same kind of surgical accuracy(even out to 25 yards) as the 1911.
Why sooo ... fixated on GSG9? Personally, ever since Munich in '72 I've had trouble trying to accept any German police squad as either, 'tactical' or competent. (And, they're going to have to really go some before I'll believe otherwise.)

After bench testing, I know that my stock Glock 27 is way more accurate than me. Anyway, after some self-defense training, I've devalued having laser accuracy at 45 feet. Further, it's counterproductive even to entertain that mindset.
Couldn't agree more! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Caspian slide? That's a questionable and very expensive way to attempt to improve accuracy on a Glock. The steel guide rod will smooth out the recoil impulse and improve reliability, but accuracy? I doubt it.
Maybe so, but Ive got the money and ive heard great things from guys who are currently running one on their glock. David Bowie of bowie tctical being one of them. Couldnt hurt, right? I also run a tungsten rod that has smoothed out the action and the lockup. Steel would do the same, but I prefer the extra weight up front.

You can only smooth out a Glock's trigger by just so much; but, yeah, there's some room for increased accuracy there. Additional chamber support? Do you think you'll ever see any of this at the target?
Are you asking if i think it will make a difference? No, im not sure at all, But again, couldnt hurt.

Why sooo ... fixated on GSG9? Personally, ever since Munich in '72 I've had trouble trying to accept any German police squad as either, 'tactical' or competent. (And, they're going to have to really go some before I'll believe otherwise.)
No....not fixated at all. The reason I use them as an example is because Ive seen them using Glocks on numerous occasions. Including in their shooting house running hostage rescue sicenarios. You obviously need a very accurate pistol in such a situation and so this sparked my curiosity.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
A 1911 would be more intrinsically easier to shoot, but a Glock may be more adapt for self defense. However... What do the GSSF folk have to say?
GSSF is afraid to address this issue. I have suggested many times that a simple stage be added to all GSSF events. It would go like this. Each contestant would fire 10 rounds at a distance of 10 yards for compact pistols, 25 yards for regular size pistols, i.e. 2 categories. you would have 2 minutes to fire the ten rounds. The smallest 10 shot group wins the stage. Over a year we would have enough data to determine which Glock ammo etc. was the most accurate. GSSF does not want this information to be known.

·
Registered
281 Posts
awesome reply:wavey:,the way i see it
the glock in trained hands does the same exact thing
that a 1911 GI pistol does, in life there are trade offs
as almost everything has one, for defense i like stock pistols
to me, 1 inch groups mean nothing in real life
not unless armed felons are wearing bullseyes on there shirts
but to answer your question, you could improve the accuracy a little
if you wanted to, but why would you? IF i was to tune my glock
my first step would be ammo that groups well and tight,
next would be a lighter trigger and steel guide rod
last but not least is training and repetiveness on the range

·
Registered
93 Posts
An incompetent shooter with a 2K U$D 1911 will still be out shot anyday of the week.

It's with the shooter's competency and not the GUN, so if you hit a pole using your Ford it's Ford's fault or your just a dumbass in the way you drive

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
Maybe so, but Ive got the money and ive heard great things from guys who are currently running one on their glock. David Bowie of bowie tctical being one of them. Couldnt hurt, right? I also run a tungsten rod that has smoothed out the action and the lockup. Steel would do the same, but I prefer the extra weight up front.
Well, with today's food and energy costs, it's nice to see that someone has some money left. (I wish I could say that!) :freak:

Do you honestly believe that two competent pistoleros would have a contest decided between them by which one had the Caspian slide on his Glock? I don't. I agree about the metal guide rod but as an adjunct to reliability, rather than accuracy. Myself? I use Wolff Gunsprings steel guide rods.

Are you asking if i think it will make a difference? No, im not sure at all, But again, couldnt hurt.
It's been my own experience that the best thing you can do to improve accuracy on a Glock is to, somehow, improve the trigger pull. Everything else is questionable. (And, I'm using Bar-Sto Precision barrels!)

No....not fixated at all. The reason I use them as an example is because Ive seen them using Glocks on numerous occasions. Including in their shooting house running hostage rescue sicenarios. You obviously need a very accurate pistol in such a situation and so this sparked my curiosity.
My own opinion is that it's more the shooter than the pistol. Nobody gets, 'pinpoint accuracy' out of any pistol during a combat situation - Nobody! (Watch the targets at an IDPA match; you'll quickly see what I mean.) ;)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Yeah it is my understanding that there are more accurate pistols out there, but like Butch said...the Glock serves it's purpose for me. The Glock is built as an SD weapon and it is more than accurate enough to fulfill my needs.

·
GLOCK 20SF 10MM
639 Posts
GSSF is afraid to address this issue. I have suggested many times that a simple stage be added to all GSSF events. It would go like this. Each contestant would fire 10 rounds at a distance of 10 yards for compact pistols, 25 yards for regular size pistols, i.e. 2 categories. you would have 2 minutes to fire the ten rounds. The smallest 10 shot group wins the stage. Over a year we would have enough data to determine which Glock ammo etc. was the most accurate. GSSF does not want this information to be known.
And now we add to the mix the famous & until now unknown
" GSSF CONSPIRACY THEORY "

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, with today's food and energy costs, it's nice to see that someone has some money left. (I wish I could say that!) :freak:
Gotta love credit:supergrin:

Do you honestly believe that two competent pistoleros would have a contest decided between them by which one had the Caspian slide on his Glock? I don't. I agree about the metal guide rod but as an adjunct to reliability, rather than accuracy. Myself? I use Wolff Gunsprings steel guide rods.
No, but like i said, having one couldnt hurt could it? The fit is tighter than the stock slide, which should reduce barrel slop. For what its worth, Im probably going with a Lone Wolf slide instead of Caspian.

It's been my own experience that the best thing you can do to improve accuracy on a Glock is to, somehow, improve the trigger pull. Everything else is questionable. (And, I'm using Bar-Sto Precision barrels!)

I agree with you. Trigger control is the single most important factor in accurate shooting. Obviously the better the trigger the more shootable the weapon is. Im looking at getting a Barsto, how do you like it?

My own opinion is that it's more the shooter than the pistol. Nobody gets, 'pinpoint accuracy' out of any pistol during a combat situation - Nobody! (Watch the targets at an IDPA match; you'll quickly see what I mean.)
Again I agree. But generally, the more acurate the weapon th better. That way the loss in accuracy can be attributed to just the shooter and not the weapon.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts