close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock Accuracy and Self-Defense Drills

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ADK_40GLKr, Jun 25, 2011.

1. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

I've had my 2nd Gen G22 for about a year now and am shooting much better, but have not yet begun to reach the limit of the gun's accuracy.

An article in the last American Rifleman recommended several drills with 2" targets, 5" targets and "silhouettes". (See below for drills). What I have been practicing with are the 8 1/2 x 11" "small bore rifle targets" and the 12x12 WalMart specials. So I needed a bit of improvisation to come up with some drills to replicate the ones suggested in the article. Using a yardstick, a medicine bottle and a red felt tip marker I was able to improvise the suggested targets.

With only 1 stand to work with, I used the longest range suggested for the ElPresidente with the Mozambique (7 yards) so I was able to get most of the suggested drills compressed into 3 .40 cal. mags,

I tried the 2" targets at 5 yards, the 5" target at 5 yards and the Mozambique (aka "Failure" - If the double tap to the body FAILED, the head shot will stop 'em) drills at 7 yards. I kept most of my rounds within that 2" circle at 5 yards, and stopped the threat from that vicious "silhouette" every time.

Given my "wobble" the gun pretty much did everything I asked of it. (Well, at least I'm not jerking the trigger any more.)

You are supposed to do all the drills with 100 rounds. The Drills were described as follows:

DOT DRILLS
    Target: 6 - 2” circles
    Distance: 5 yd.
    Procedure: DRAW and SHOOT 4 shots
    at each dot, reholster and
    draw for each shot

FAILURE DRILLS
    (AKA Mozambique Drills)
    Target: 1 Silhouette Target
    Distance: 5 yards
    Procedure: Quick Double tap to torso, then...
    More careful 3rd shot to head
    Repeat 8 times

4-5 DRILLS
    5 Shots at
    5” Circles from
    5 Yards in
    5 seconds or less
    Repeat 5 Times

EL PRESIDENTE
    Target: 3 silhouette targets
    -5 yd
    -3 yd
    -7 yd, Spaced 5’ apart laterally
    Procedure: Double tap each target
    Move laterally behind cover and repeat
    Repeat Drill: Total 24 shots

DRY FIRE
    Run Mozambique, El Presidente & 4-5 drills
    without ammo

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Bodyarmorguy

Bodyarmorguy

I have become fond of a particular drill. On it's face it does not seem difficult as it is a 65 round test, all shot at 7 yards. The scoring zones are the headbox and the center circle (-0 zone) on a standard IDPA target. Google "10-8 Pistol Test" to find a couple of videos on it.

I have taken to shooting this drill at the beginning of a range session. Next, I perform a series of dry fire drills to improve trigger control. I will next begin live fire, firing no more than 70 rounds, single shots divided equally between strong and support only hands. I will shoot less than 70 depending on performance. I then then shoot a second 65 round test to measure for improvement.

This has me shooting no more than 200 rounds total in a range day.

3. H&K 4 LIFE

H&K 4 LIFE Leonum A Ignis

4. sig357fan

sig357fan

5. troysglock

troysglock Member

I think of shooting like playing golf. Go somewhere and get some good training on drawing, shooting, moving etc.., so you prevent reinforcing any possible bad habits.

6. GlockinNJ

GlockinNJ

Tagged. Really interested in hearing about people's favorite drills, but I need to go out now. Will revisit later. Let's hear your favorite accuracy/speed drills - I need the practice! :supergrin:

7. troysglock

troysglock Member

I like 4 targets. One shot each, with a controlled pair on the last, then back around for a second shot in the others in random orders. Helps with trigger reset and using the recoil to transition the front sight to the next target. And shooting IDPA will provide you with great drills that THEY set up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
  8. ronin.45

ronin.45

Simple repetition drills are ok, but to really improve, start shooting competition. IDPA will let you use all the skills you are trying to hone and add a sense of urgency with the clock and other shooters. Don't go into it worried about your score, just look at it as an elaborate practice session.