GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its easier then one would think to find an aspect of Glocks and their parts that show many variations. This is a thread attempting to discover just how many trigger bars there actually are in the early 9mm.
We had another thread that went into some detail about trigger bar variations seen in the early handguns. I may or may not have found some more.
That thread can be found here.
https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/upgraded-pb-on-gb.1785436/

Here is the original thread that I screen shot images and edited them to fit in here.

Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (1).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (2).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (3).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (4).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (5).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (6).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (7).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (8).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (9).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (10).png
Glock Trigger Bar Discussion  (11).png

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was looking at some trigger bars and was surprised at how many variations there appeared to be in the small group that I have.
At first other then the silver/non-black one I had in this group I just thought they were all the same.
I found the early one easily which I put a 1 under it.
2-6 at first glance appeared all the same. 6 had heavy carbon deposits on it that it looked black but a closer look revealed it actually is a newer generation. Whats interesting about 6 is that dimple. It either came from some other series/Got hit by the forming die when being formed/Or something else. If you have tried to bend metal on the trigger bars you quickly find they are hardened and will snap off. I tried years ago to lift the engagement tab on the trigger where it contacts the striker and it broke off immediately. So I believe the dimple happened before being hardened.
The order that I have is based simply on appearance and what I believe makes sense.
4 and 5 are indeed black but show the newer method of how the bend or rib is put in the center of the trigger bar. But the tips on both those are not the same.
2 and 3 look exactly alike but the part that just forward of the striker block pin is longer on 2 then 3.
Trigger Bar Detail 2.jpg

Trigger Bar Detail 3.jpg

Trigger Bars with Numbers 1-7.jpg

I also took an image of the tops of the bars. I had already inspected the tops of the bar under the striker safety pin/button (I'll get the right name) to see if they had been filed or messed with. You can see that the metal there is the same as on the long part of the bar. If filed on you would see a very uniform metal. The ridge or relief from when they were punched out is present.

IMG_3105.jpg

I have not included images of the silver and gold colored early trigger bars. These 5 black early bars plus those makes at least 7 variations of early trigger bars.
I will try and tie them into serial ranges and years of manufacture next.

Let me know what you think of my order. I put 2 in front of 3 only because in the later generations that little leg/knuckle sticks out further in the later generations of the trigger bar.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 and 5 must be the beginning of the transition to silver colored parts. I need to measure some early gold and silver knuckles to see if they have the same length as others. This may help define the order some more.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Great thread. I still need to sort through my bars and build a photo album. It'll take some time as some of the bars are in fully assembled Glocks boxed away in the gun safe.

In the meantime here is a photo of the earliest style trigger bars installed in my pencil barrel G17's (AK and AL prefix):

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have revised my order of trigger bars and found some more variations. Right now I have at least 9 before what is currently made.
I have included the gold and silver colored style as each being a different one’s but they are just color variations of what I have as a 3rd type.
I just need to confirm basic serial number runs but my images are edited and have been numbered or drawn on showing unique characteristics.
Amazing to me what went into these.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I think that's certainly one of the most important aspects - one what serial numbers was each variation installed?? I have a stash of pre-upgrade bars and other early parts that I got from a former police armorer, however they were not installed in guns. While I strongly suspect what serial ranges/eras certain bars are from based on what is installed in some of my early Glocks I cannot definitively say. The bars for which I have a higher certainty of serial range are those which came installed and for which I believe in all likelihood are original configuration.

For example, my AK-prefix came with every early part installed which we have come to recognize as very early variations. It even came with an original mag and half-intact weekend sight (which I have since replaced.) I strongly believe that is an original configuration pencil barrel. My other pencil barrel, an AL-prefix, came to me completely upgraded. I then completely restored it to original configuration but copying my AK-prefix and what I have seen as mirroring that in other pencil barrels, specifically AL-prefixes.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I pulled apart some of my handguns in order to get a better look of the trigger bars.
From that I made some minor changes on the order.
Not having many newer Glocks with the black parts does make it more difficult.

InkedNew Glock Trigger Bar Nov  18 (1)_LI.jpg

Having them all against the same background helps define shape a little more.
I think we can all agree that #1 would be the first style and seen in a AF0XX. I believe this style is in all 6 of my PB's. AF-AK.
#2 versions are in my AX, AZ, BB and up to CB. Glock changed the shape of the back end slightly with a thinner end and more gradual slope. Subtle but it can be seen.
My next earliest Glock is CC and has the #3 series. #3, #4 and #5 in my opinion are the same design but with different finishes. Why change the finish? Must have been an effort to try and find a more resistant finish to the elements.
I found the #4 trigger bar in an EU prefix Glock and the #5 in a DF prefix.
Why I revised my list was finding the #6 in a KB Gen 2 so it is clear that it is later that this style was used as opposed to earlier being my initial thoughts.
#7 was found in in a Gen 2 TV prefix Glock. This appears to be when they changed the center stamping. I would think strength is why they added the stamping.
I believe #8 came after #7 simply because the stamping in the middle is more where they appear to do it today.
I had no idea where #9 came from but I have (1) in a AED Glock 21. I also purchased a older internals kit for a Glock 17 as listed and it also had this same trigger bar.

Closer images of sets of trigger bars one above the other.

Trigger Bars in order (1).jpg
Trigger Bars in order (2).jpg
Trigger Bars in order (3).jpg
Trigger Bars in order (4).jpg

Next I took those close ups and tried to highlight the differences between them.

Trigger Bar Variation.jpg

On #2 you can see the back sloping side of it starts near where the uppermost bend is. This is easily seen in a early Glock by just taking off the slide. They never started that slope as early as this style seen in #2. These I suggest may be as uncommon to come across as the #1 style. So rounded #1 for Early and mid A Glocks. #2 for late A, B and at least early C series.

Trigger Bar Variation 6 7 8.jpg

On #6 the area marked as 2 is shorter then the 3-5 series. They look very similar but the big difference I saw was how short that cut was. Plus I saw this in a late KB series which I know is original.
#7 and #8 must be newer since they changed the stamping through the center. I have #7 before #8 only because the stamping moved further forward and then with #8 they have it where they do now.

Trigger Bar Variation 8 9 10.jpg

You can see how they changed the center line impression. It appears to be wider and of course the striker safety plunger engagement area is also a different shape.
With #9 I noticed a less clean stamped edge or possibly a different method in creating these trigger bars. The earlier stuff is cleaner on the edges. Clearly on #10 it appears to be more finished then with #9.
#9 is interesting from the big change in the shorter face. Not sure what to make of the dimple.

Change on back fin for 6 7 8.jpg

Lastly with #6, #7, and #8 there are 3 variations to the design of the back end. Glock was doing a great deal of testing while implementing different designs of common items in production.

Of course all of this is my opinion. I have looked at a rather small sampling of trigger bars. I would say about 50 and many of these were not in guns.

I welcome any and all opinion on changing order or adding to this group.

·
Registered
621 Posts
image.jpg

AH prefix

Reactions: Adam4

·
Registered
621 Posts
image.jpg

AL prefix

Reactions: Adam4

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s appears to be the second variation of the trigger bar. I see those in later A prefix.
I have seen way too many early Glock PBs with the hump style to suggest that must have been the very first trigger bar design.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Yeah, but I still don't see that dang spring cup!

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Meaningless trivia, but I'm pretty sure the trigger bar pictured in the 1989 Armorer's Manual is #2 above

1 - 20 of 20 Posts