close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 9mm Open Gun

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by -, Apr 18, 2003.

1. Guest

I've been playing around with a Glock open gun in 9mm. Thought I'd post some pics as this design is a bit different than most open Glocks that I've seen. Some custom made and one of a kind stuff such as the comp and C-More mount. The mag well is a Dawson Ice unit that's been modified to fit the Glock. Trigger and most internal components are Lightning Strike. The gun is still in the R&D stages but is getting close. You'll see there are still machine and tool marks that need to be buffed out, corners that need to be radiused, and some general streamlining work needed on the comp itself. The gun shoots extremely well. It's functioned flawlessly and is very soft and flat with 169 PF loads.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. VincentZ

VincentZ

What load are you shooting for 169PF. The hottest commercial load I have seen is the Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ @ 1250fps, but this is still only 158PF. How is the brass holding up?

3. Guest

I doubt you can buy, nor ever be able to buy commercial ammo to make major in a 9mm. The 169 PF loads I'm using are reloads with 8.4 grains of 3n37 and a 125 JHP bullet. OAL is 1.145. Understand this is a USPSA open gun so brass life is of no concern. Most everyone buys once fired stuff at $10-12 a thousand and leaves it lay after it's fired. At most major matches you can't pick up brass anyway. That's one advantage to the 9mm open gun as opposed to other calibers where once fired brass is not available and the new stuff is around $100 a thousand. I've had no problems with brass or pressure problems. Primers aren't really flattened any worse or often than I've seen on other open guns built on other platforms. However, even though this barrel is stock with a threaded comp attached, the chamber and feed ramp area has been welded up, recut, and rebuilt to support the case as much as possible. More so than even most if not all the available aftermarket brand barrels that we've tried and compared. I understand a second prototype of this gun is in the works using a barrel being customized specially for this application by a major barrel maker.

4. Mark L Miller

Mark L Miller

Chris, Nice gun, all you need is a Carver mount on it to move the c-more forward a bit for better balance. LOL. Anyway, nice gun, hope you enjoy it. MLM

5. Guest

Well, it's not really my gun. At the request of the builder, I'm just playing around with it and offering suggestions for improvement. He twisted my arm and I figured I'd make the sacrifice to help him out being the nice guy I am. The thing's kinda habit forming. My limited gun feels like a horse compared to this thing. I've already told the guy that some suggestions are obvious right off the bat, but the best ones usually don't reveal themselves until after 50,000 rounds or so. ;f

6. Ricky T

Ricky T Millennium Member

I thought you went over to the dark side. Who's the builder? You can email me if you don't want to reveal his identity to the world. I know it can't be uncle Joe.;a

7. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

Cpty1,

Based on what I had originally read on Brian Enos site and on this thread I was under the impression that this Open gun was yours I’m sorry to hear it's not. I like the cut that was made in the front of the slide it makes for an easier blending after seeing it I might just have that same cut made for my next Open gun. As far as the optics is concerned the setup looks interesting but I prefer Doctor over C-More. Hope your friend enjoys it.

8. 9x45

9x45 Millennium Member

Sure you can make a 180 floor in 9mm, but you will have to use steel cases....

9. ryucasta

ryucasta IDPA/IPSC Cuban

That's an interesting load you got there...

10. Guest

I'm kinda lost on the 180 PF comment...?

I shot the open 9 today for the first time in a match and really had fun. An open gun seems almost like cheating after shooting production and limited. My "friend" had some new ideas and started building a second gun similar to this one shortly after giving this one to me to shoot. My now "very good friend" offered to let me keep the gun a while longer. So hey, who am I to complain? Life is good. I probably better put it down for a couple of weeks though and saddle up that horse, I mean that limited gun, to get ready for Area 6.

11. mattburkett

mattburkett GrandMattster B

What load are you using? I have a new 9 major gun coming in the next week and was wondering about a starting point.

Thanks!

12. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

Matt. I think Chris posted his load up the page a bit. (internet rookie ;) :) )

13. Guest

We started with a 125 grain JHP and 3n37 because that's what some people seem to be having the best success with. I ended up with 8.3 grains that chrono'd at 169. I think a couple of guys are using HS6 with some success also but thats just a rumor. The 3n37 seems to be working well for me. Good luck Matt and keep us posted on your experience and thoughts with the 9 if you would.

14. Fireant

Fireant

cpty1,

How about bringing that gun to the area 6 match so I can drool over it. I've been toying with the idea of an open gun for future use.

15. Guest

I'll be at Area 6 but on Friday shooting limited. I shot the gun at a local match this weekend but decided it was too soon to shoot a major with it. I might shoot it at the Alabama Section. Plus, I still need a couple of mags and things also. Find John Nagel at the Area 6 match. He built the gun and is shooting it in B open on Friday. I think he's ROing Saturday and Sunday. Between the three days you should be able to find him somewhere. He'd love to show it to you I'm sure. He might even be far enough along to bring the new and improved version of this gun he's been working on for you to see also.

16. mattburkett

mattburkett GrandMattster B

Hey Kyle, so I was just lazy okay? That is one of the signs of a GM! ;f

Good luck at the area 6 to those that are going!

Will keep people posted on any dev that happens with the major 9 stuff on my end. :)

Take care,

17. Flexmoney

Flexmoney

;f ;a ;f

If you can find it...Vectan's SP2 leaves plenty of room in the case for bullet seating.

18. Fireant

Fireant

I'll be there Sat. & Sun. I'll be sure and look for him.

19. Ricky T

Ricky T Millennium Member

Uncle Joe needs that frankenstein grock. ;a

20. Joe D

Joe D Guest

RT,I have been quietly gathering information. I plan on building a Glock Open gun soon. Have not finalized the design yet. Just think, I would only need two 28 round mags to shoot the typical IDPA match. I have heard IDPA is going to make guns with dots and comps legal. I certainly have no problem carrying an open gun under my jacket. It is a lot less bulky than the Remington 1100 I usually carry.