close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 9mm advice

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by gbpanther41, Jul 20, 2012.

1. gbpanther41

gbpanther41

So I purchased my first Glock a few months back. G30SF...after some problems that have been worked out I love the gun. Just qualified for my concealed carry permit the 1st of the month and can't wait to get it back. This will be my every day gun. Now I'm getting married the end of August and she and I have been talking about gifts for each other. I want a gun. As much as I'd love another rifle that just isn't in the budget that we set for each other so it looks like it's time to get another Glock. I have started buying 9mm ammo already even though I don't own a 9mm. What I am really looking for on here after all my talking is advice on which 9mm to get and should it be a Gen3 or Gen4? Any input would be appreciated. :tongueout:

2. tonyparson

tonyparson

You need to go somewhere and rent both of them and see what one you like better. I like the feel of my Gen 4 G19 without a back-strap a lot better then I like my Gen 3 G19..

3. Big A

Big A Herr Trigger

I have all the 9mm Glocks except a G34. The one I will never sell is my OD G19. It is the perfect gun.

I don't own a Gen 4 but the only thing I like about them over the Gen 3's is the bigger mag release.

I agree with tonyparson, find somewhere that you could rent both generations and see which you like best. My vote in either generation is a G19 though.

4. SGT278ACR

SGT278ACR Retired Veteran

I agree. Go for the rentals and try them all out first if you can. If you prefer 9mm and you want to carry... I say go for the G26. I would stay away from Gen4's as there is a lot of contraversial talk right now as far as their reliability. Of course, for me it is just hearsay because I have yet to try out a Gen4.

5. poodleplumber

poodleplumber

If I understand you correctly, you are satisfied with your G30 for your CCW. If that is so, are you looking at one of the larger frame pistols for range and home? The G19 fits my hand better, and others prefer the G17; similarly, the different grip inserts for the Gen 4 pistols are matters of taste and fit, so you will have to try them out by at least holding them, preferably by shooting them.

For that matter, are you necessarily locked into Glocks? There are some fine pistols from other makers, too, if you want to branch out and explore a bit. A Beretta 92 FS is a well designed and finely made 9 mm, one of the most handsome pistols in production in the opinion of many, and would make a fine keepsake as a wedding gift. That is, of course, just one of many good options.

6. ADK_40GLKr

ADK_40GLKr Adirondacker with a Glock

Not a challenge question, but what purpose do you have in miind for your new 9mm?

Range gun or competition with cheap ammo? G 17

Concealed carry with lower cost SD ammo? G 26

All purpose weapon for range AND Self Defense? G 19

Competition wit longest sight radius? G 34

I would think your G 30 fulfills your SD needs pretty well, unless you're unhappy with it because of its bulk.

Of course if you're building up an ARSENAL, go with what feels right today. You'll be picking up another soon anyway.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2012
  7. Wawrz

Wawrz

I actually carry my g17 more often than my 19. I noticed that the comfort level between the two are about the same as well as any printing issues(usually none depending on what i'm wearing). So I myself consider the g17 as more than just a range/comp gun but also as a carry gun. I am not a big guy (5'9'' 165lbs) so in my experience you don't need to be a bigger guy to be able to carry a fullsize pistol without any printing issues. The 17 and 19 are about the same in terms of comfort while carrying for me so I've been carrying my 17 lately. The 26 would actually be my preferred carry gun and it's my next glock on the list.

8. ron59

ron59 Bustin Caps

I have the 26, 17, and 34... love them all for their (for me) intendeded purposes. I personally will never own a 19. The 26 for carry, larger models for competition/range use. My first was the G17, and started my love affair with guns and shooting. I shoot GSSF and have won a bit of cash, and lots of USPSA which is my favorite. I pretty much eat/sleep/breathe shooting now in my pursuit of improvement.

Like ADK_40GLKR says... often what you're wanting it for will dictate the model you buy.

9. FLSlim

FLSlim

I can't tell you what to spend your money on, but for a carry size weapon, I have a gen 3, 26 and have been extremely happy with it. For range use, a 17, 19, or 34 should suit you. I have an older (gen 2) G17 and there's nothing wrong it it either....

10. Bruce M

Bruce M

I have the Glock 9mms except for the 17L. I would be quite satisfied with the G26 and G34 and if I had known before I got all of them I would have another G34 and no G17 or G19. I don't dislike them I just like the G34 and G26 better. But also from my view the next gun would be a .22 for alot more economical shooting.

11. Sheppick.dan

Sheppick.dan

After a lot of research and holding the guns in my hand at the local gun shop I myself got the gen4. The grip felt better to me then the Gen3 (plus the only gen3 they had was used). The cost was only 30 bucks more and I got an extra magazine.

Good luck in your hunt for a new gun!

12. parkerdt

parkerdt

Gen4 34 for us - but we carry M&P 9c.

13. Maxx702

Maxx702 I BITE LIBERALS!!

I also primarily shoot a G30.

Just bought a Gen 3 G17 for a range gun. Fun to shoot, accurate, cheap ammo.

I'd go with a Gen 3 G19 if you are looking for something versitile and fun.

14. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

After the purchase of just about all the 9mm models, including several G26s in Gen 3, I've decided that I want to own just ONE Glock and become as proficient as my advancing years and declining vision will permit ... which is why I just bought a new Gen 4 Model 26. I like the texture in comparison as well as the enlarged mag release.

Another consideration: Massad Ayoob, in a recent magazine on handguns, did an excellent job of detailing why the baby Glocks often 'outshoot' there larger siblings, and he uses the G26 as his primary example. Looking back over the years of shooting IDPA and IPSC matches with earlier G26s I realize how right he is in that observation; the same thing was happening to me.

All of that adds up to a Gen 4 Model 26 as my only gun for retirement years.

Good luck in your decision making.

15. barth

barth six barrels

Seems like I'm liked, or hated really badly, around here.
    Pretty much like real life - LOL!
    But I'll open my big mouth anyway...

I've got a Gen 3 G27 with barrels and mags to run 9mm, 357 Sig and 40. Running Storm Lake 40-9mm barrels and G26 mags
    I've fired 1000+ flawless HPs with the 40 ejector/extractor.
    No failures, no hot brass to the face and no drama.

I'd rent a G27 & G23, pick one and get a 9mm conversion barrel.
    But that's just me...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  16. Arc Angel

Arc Angel Deus Vult!

After spending the previous 8 years with a pair of G-21's for some strange reason (Might have been reading too much Glock Talk) :supergrin: I decided to buy a G-19. Now, I've fallen in love with the thing! Had a terrible time trying to get good with it during the first year. Guess I was too used to my G-21's; but, after several conversations with D.R. Middlebrooks, (watched his videos, too!) I decided to switch to D.R.'s way of using a pistol; and, voila, all of a sudden I'm punching the centers out of my targets again. (9" paper plates)

All in all, I'm very glad I gave Glock 9mm's a try. While my G-21's are still my primary, 'go to' pistols I spend a lot of time, now, with my, 'new' G-19(RTF2). It'll be my main pistol while I'm at the range this afternoon; and guess what? I'm starting to get decent with it at 25 yards too! (Couldn't be happier!) :)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7677/p6050031.jpg
    http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/5636/g191.jpg
    http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/9647/p6050014.jpg

17. ashecht

ashecht

+1 on the Beretta 92FS. IMHO, one of the sexiest guns out there even though it is an old design. The open slide virtually eliminates any FTE issues. Its a big heavy 9mm pistol, but it feels great in your hand, recoil rivals a .22. Night sights are the only issue, as the front site is part of the slide, rather than a removable item, so getting it drilled out and having a tritium vial inserted is a pricey endeavor. I have an Italian Inox and will never get rid of it, its just too damn good looking.

18. Lowjiber

Lowjiber

I have a G19 (Gen 4) that is primarily a range gun. Have never had any issues...some 1500 rounds.

I carry a G26 (Gen 3) IWB in a horsehide White Hat holster. I put it on every morning and never have any problems. The Gen 3's already had the double spring, so there's not really much difference (mag button and grip back-pieces) between a Gen 4 and a Gen 3.

19. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

a lot of talk about gen 4 is internet BS

20. JChapEGS

JChapEGS

G26 - three pistols in one by swapping magazines (with or without grip spacers).

JC