close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 9 vs Beretta 9 which to buy?

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by TommyJ, Oct 3, 2004.

1. TommyJ

TommyJ

My son wants a pistol. Pro's and con's of each? I told him I would ask. Thanks for your input.

2. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

Simple enough: both are good. Most will say that a Glock is more durable, but both are good. I would pick based on the features I, or my son, would want in a pistol.

Let your son hold both brands, and pick based on the one that he thinks feels better. My 2 cents

3. 10-Ring

10-Ring

Own both, like both & would be happy w/ either. If I had to recommend one or the other, I would take prospective owner to the range & let them shoot both then go w/ whichever one worked best for them ;) Good luck! ;) ;f

4. sundance43.5

sundance43.5

This is simple. You really MUST own both.

I own a Glock 34 and a Stainless Beretta 92FS. The Beretta is one of the smoothest guns I've ever shot. The Glock is just as good.

If I HAD to pick, and I really hope you get both, I would pick the Beretta. Glocks are a dime a dozen (although the 34 has a little more of a cool factor), but there is a certain pride or bravado in owning a Beretta. It is also one of the most reliable pistols made today.

If you get the Beretta, get the Stainless. Not only is it more aesthetically pleasing, but you won't have to worry much about rust or the finish wearing off. Also, Beretta regular capacity mags are as plentiful as Glock mags, and usually a few bucks cheaper.

But again, and I can't echo this enough, someday you must own both if you can't own them both now.

5. Jeff S.

Jeff S. Heart of the Rockies

Ironically, I had a chance to shoot a Beretta today. I was not impressed with it at all. IMHO, the Glock is superior to the Beretta. I know that both are great firearms, but I must say that the Beretta was just, well, inferior. Try both.

6. Glock30fan

Glock30fan Cmbt Tupperware

I have always been a huge Glock fan but recently tried the Beretta 92s.
    A couple of points:
    -I like the stainless steel guns better than the Bruniton coated slide of the blued guns. Bruniton can and will chip off. The newest Berettas have a lot of plastic parts (decocker lever, lanyard loop, trigger, magazine release, recoil spring guide rod and others). I recently bought two almost new looking guns (blued and stainless) that were a couple of years old to get the all metal parts.
    -The stainless Beretta has horrible red dot sights.
    -The Beretta will jam if not properly lubed, where the Glock will usually go with little or no lube.
    -I think the Glock is a more durable gun but it definitely lacks the sex appeal of the Beretta. Racking the slide back on a Beretta 92 (with the hammer already back) can only be described as SMOOOOOTH. No other auto pistol that I know of uses their type of locking action which is silky smooth and makes a nice sound.
    -The Beretta is a big gun even in it's compact form.
    -The Beretta 92 feels better in my hand than the G-17.

Combat/CCW gun = get the Glock 17/19.
    Range/fun/BBQ gun = get the stainless Beretta

7. RiverVan

RiverVan FREEDOM

I have a great deal of experience with Glocks and very little with Beretta, although I have fired Beretta 9's and a .40 once. The Beretta seems to work well but for me was very inaccurate. When I shoot IDPA matches the individuals shooting Berettas have the worst accuracy form the group. Some are faster; some slower, but consistent in-accuracy seems to follow the Beretta crowd. From my point of view the 1911 crowd is the most accurate and the fastest, but they seem to have more reliability problems. Reliability and ruggedness brought me to Glocks, the relative accuracy and trigger, have kept me a Glock fan. Someone said they are “a dime a dozen”. This may be true, but so what? They are so common because they work so well!

8. pagluy

pagluy axed

The Berretta is a tough gun to learn to shoot, it's longer and you really have to take your time with it until you get the hang of it. That said I love mine and it's the finest pistol I've ever seen. I still carry my Glock though, the 92 is a big gun.

9. mick0311

mick0311

I own both and have shot thousands of rounds through each. The Beretta's DA pull is pretty heavy compared to others. The Glock has a tougher finish and is usually considered more reliable in harsh envirnments. My father bought me the Beretta, because I was going into the Marines. (Just to get familiar with the M9).:)

10. DJL2

DJL2 Iron Sapper Millennium Member

I learned to shoot on the 92FS Inox. I prefer the 92G Elite II, but the 92FS is not too shabby either. The Elite II is just a little smoother and has better sights. The trigger pull weight has never been an issue for me. My stubby fingers can actually get to the trigger in DA and that alone makes me happy.

I also have a G17. . . which has soldiered on with nary a problem for me. I would handle both and just buy whichever is more comfortable in your hand. If price is a factor, get the Glock.

WRT to people not being accurate with Beretta, one word: Langdon. Beretta's will shoot, so do not blame the gun for the shooter's shortcomings.

11. KD5MSY

KD5MSY

Tom, take there advice, find a gun range that rents both, and let your son try them out. I grew up shooting, and was MP in the Army and I lothed the Beretta, everything felt wrong to me. The triger pull was heaver than I was used to, the grip felt like it might have been a bit big for my hands, and to use the slide stop lever took me breaking my grip on it. Now there my be reasons for all of these, I may have small hands compared to most, the beretta looked like it had been in every conflict known to man since it was made. ect.. The glock feals so much better to me, but other than the feel of the weapon(sp), it functioned great. The older ones were made like tanks, I don't have any info on the newer ones made with plastic. But the best way would be to rent them and you and your son go and have some fun, you never know he may find something else he like better that both of those.

12. elsolo

elsolo

If you can't rent them, at least hold them at a gunshop. I always wanted a Beretta, until I held one. The grip was too big, trigger was less than desireable, and a few other issues with the gun's fit to my hand. It just didn't feel right to me. Then I held a CZ-75, and bought it, based on superior fitment to my hands. There is no best gun for everybody, but there will be a best gun for a particular ndividual.

13. Coolknight

Coolknight

Glock-17 v/s Beretta 92FS

I would pick the GLOCK-17, good value and good first pistol.

The two nicest 9mm Beretta's are the 92FS Brigadier Inox and the Elite II, both cost more then a GLOCK and both are fine pistols, they're great if you like the extra safety that comes with the slide mounted decocker.

Regards,
    Coolknight

14. smpos

smpos

Depends. If you have big enough hands the beretta is nice. If you don't then get what fits.

Its also a feature set. Do you like SA/DA pistols or do you like a consistant trigger pull more. Do you like the idea of an external safety? Does a short trigger pull make you nervous?

Depending on how you answer these questions will determine what you should get. Try them both first.

15. RamShooter

RamShooter

I can't speak much for the Glock since I've never owned or fired one, but I can say that Berettas are truely awsome. My blued 92FS was the first I gun I ever owned. I've gotten to the point now where when I shoot it from about 10 yards, the target eventually just develops a big 2-3" hole instead a bunch of small 0.35" holes. ^5

Oh and I definately recommend getting a stainless.;)

16. Pico

Pico

Don't go with a Beretta, the Glock shoots better and the Beretta's safety system is crazy. I had several jams when I tested a Beretta and none at all with the G-17.

You may want to consider a CZ 75 as well, I went with CZ after shooting and holding all 3. Still, if only comparing the 2, the Glock is a better pistol.

The Beretta looks cool but if you want something to shoot, get a Glock 17 or 19.

Pico

17. Old&Slow

Old&Slow

The Beretta is a fine, if large 9mm. but I never liked the position and size of the slide mounted Beretta 92`s decocker/safety and found it awkward to use under stress. Not a big issue on a range gun to be sure.

Past that I think it`s probably far easier for a new young shooter to learn with a Beretta then a Glock due to the thick grips and unusual trigger system/let off in the Glock which even with experienced shooters often result in low - left hits.

The best choice IMHO would be a Colt in 9mm because of it`s natural pointability ( if that`s a word ;) ) inherent accuracy, and the discipline of learning to use multiple safetys. Downside is cost and they are scarce.

18. Hugo R

Hugo R Gaff G26 User!

IMHO I would go with the Glock 17!

I have had years of experience shooting and instructing both systems. The simplicity of the Glock, it's slimmer frame and slide, no decocker, no external safety and no double/single trigger, all make the gun not only easier to teach and learn with, but also make the gun superior.

WITH PROPER INSTRUCTION the Glock trigger is one of the easiest to learn. Once you take up the slack and press off the first round, the trigger reset makes follow-up shots the defenition of simplicity. I've always had a much harder time teaching Squeeze, switch to press, decock, safety etc. etc.

Of course you can go to place that rents both (as has been recommended several time on this thread) and shoot them and make up your mind for yourself. Getting an NRA certified instructor that has a good reputation is invaluable. Good luck to you and your son.

p.s. my son is to young to shoot my Glocks but both of my daughters love the G19

19. Zebulon

Zebulon

Beretta without a doubt....Much of what you read is heresay. My wife, small hands, 5'2". has no problem handling a full size 92. I have 5 of them. IMO, Glocks are mutts that benefit from good PR from low bid Police Departments and gangbanger videos, movies, and rap music. If initial impressions are EVERYTHING, either pistol will work. Much of what we choose is dictated by emotions and popular culture. Slow down, shoot both for a time, at rental ranges or from friends, and take your time before deciding. Both have their strong points. You decide what they are, but only after doing your own evaluation....honestly. Otherwise, you're no more that a Glock or Beretta fan by proxy...it's the lazy way out. Do your homework. It matters. Zebulon

20. DigitalMafia

DigitalMafia

Wow-that is a goofy point of view and nearly a troll-benefit from gangbanger videos...(LOL-yea they are the autopistol of choice for Special Forces world wide because Snoop Diggity Dog raps about them...). There is nothing mutt like about a Glock-they are original in design and reliability. I own both the G17 and Beretta 92 and find the Glock way more fun to shoot-its lighter, easier to clean and the trigger is sweeter. The Beretta is a classic and fun to shoot (so is my 50 cal. Tompson Center muzzleloader), but the Glock is better all around and head to head more reliable and simply more high tech. Also the Beretta feels like a brick compared to the Glock.

oh well - opinions are like ex-wives...everyone has one.
    dm.