Glock 48 failure with S15

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by AARon Balakay, Apr 6, 2020.

1. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

or SA not properly deburring the mag where the mag catch contacts the mag. Remember, they were hurrying to get product out the door at the beginning. So maybe it's as simple as deburring the mag in that area with some 600grit sandpaper and polishing the (formerly) sharp edge with a Dremel and polishing compound after deburring.

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  2. Glockresistor

Glockresistor

did you use a hatchet to remove the spring ? wow. :) just kidding lol I have 10 15 rounders and have had zero issues with them. also have the shield release.

3. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/shield-arms-mag.1814752/#post-28506102 - chewed SA15 metal mag release with SA15 mags.
    https://www.glockforum.com/threads/metal-mag-release.57959/ - chewed mag release with SA15 mags..
    There's more going back to mid december when they started shipping the pre-orders.

That red NDZ mag release looks plenty chewed up. Dont be surprised if it does start failing from using SA15 mags.

Something that needs to be considered is the anodizing done to the aluminum. I've seen a LOT of parts only get Type I or Type II chromic acid anodizing, or even just enamel coated - all this is used for is coloring or clear-coating, and it's stupidly thin in the range of 0.6-2.5 microns. It's also very cheap and offers no protection from scratch/dent/friction/wear.

Type III hard anodizing is what should be done for any aluminum parts that are used in friction or contact uses, but it doesn't hold color. The closeup photo of the NDZ release shows it is not hard anodized either.

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  4. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Thank you, I'm not sure why I couldn't find these before.

Seems I'm not the only one. I guess ill be sticking to 10 until I get a reliable one. How come other manufactures make steel mags that run no problem

5. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Actually after reading those, they still don't quite answer my question. I had the SA mag catch release and these mags still chewed that and a NDZ mag catch right up.

How does my HKVP9 run steel mags like a champ

6. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

VP9 use a completely different style of mag catch. The magazine has a press-formed 'button' that sticks out forward with an indent pressed in just the thickness of the steel, and the mag release is a lever that catches the underside of that button edge-to-edge. It doesn't catch crosswise on a cut out of the magazine body where the release is moving perpendicular to the magazine.

VP9B's use a different mag release that has a steel sear that catches the button indent pressed into the magazine.

7. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

Just a thought: my S&W Shield 40 S&W - stainless mags and steel mag release. No problems! My NDZ mag release still working. We'll see. Maybe we need a steel mag release for the S15's. :dunno:

8. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

SA says their Mag release is 6061 aluminum. 6061 is low zinc, which makes it excellent for machining and welding, but it does not have the stress or wear resistance that 7075 would. 7075 would have been the appropriate grade to use for interaction with steel parts, but it is much more expensive and harder to machine because of the composition.

AARon Balakay likes this.
  9. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

If you find any let me know and well split on shipping

Fatboy2001 likes this.
  10. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Okay someone with a little background knowledge of the stuff, thanks for the input.

Why however does my guy up there only have some slight wear while two of my broke in less than a month, with no more than 300-500 rounds. and maybe a few mag Changes at home while larping =D

11. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

there's a lot of variables that go into machining aluminum and anodizing. it could have been a rush job on the anodizing resulting in a very thin layer of protection, it could be a bad heat treat, low spec aluminum. many of these things would typically be thrown out as part of pre-production waste if things like this are being looked for. mass production of machined aluminum parts like this generally don't have QA that tight. it's a big possibility that it was a substandard batch that didn't get caught and was thrown into bolster shipping quantities

12. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Thanks for being the first one to explain a potential problem in full. most people here are just like "Glock good, don't need notin else for her. oh yeah and I shoot a .45 and thats cuz they don't make a .46"

Having said that, do you own a 48/43X and these mags or do you plan to? if not, what would you recommend. My 48 is my carry gun and after adequate testing I plan to carry the S15 with the proper equipment

13. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

unfortunately i don't own one yet. i have spent a couple dozen hours with them dismantled on my workbench though (teaching new owners inspection and maintenance). I do the firearms maintenance for a local gun range and work on LOTS of Glocks for both the range and customers, as well as 10+ years of doing pistol maintenance on everything from highpoints to kimbers. I also spend a good portion of my range time teaching basic shooting skills and pistol maintenance for new owners. I will admit that I am not a fan of Glocks, but the 43 and 43x are probably the only two I actually enjoy shooting. I am in the process of putting together an ss80 build though.

the best thing I could recommend trying for the SS 15 mags would be to use a rubber polishing bit for a Dremel. they have a super fine abrasive embedded in them and don't remove much material at all, but they do polish off the sharp edges very well. I would run one of those over the inside and the outside of the mag release catch on the magazine body. you'll probably end up with very close to a mirror finish, but the important thing is to knock down any possible edges or burrs on the retention hole. it should help drastically reduce the amount of wear on the mag release caused by the magazine.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2020
    G26-Has-my-6 and AARon Balakay like this.
  14. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Thanks for the help mate

15. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

I think the best reason to get a 43x or 48 is just BECAUSE someone developed a 15 round mag. but that's just me. Hope you get this solved. it seems a new mag release and some deburring on the mags are in order. let us all know how it goes. You might want to try a different brand mag release to see if the materials/finish are better.

16. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

I got the 48 for the way it looked and its slimmer frame, having 15 rounds would be ideal but 10 is more than "okay" when relying on it for self defense.

I was sent a new mag catch and I have a new spring on the way. If that in combination with the deburring does not work then 10 it is, until the company can prove reliability to me.

It truly bugs me why Glock can't see fit to fix these problems themselves. This and now the G44 with its problems. I've been a Glock "fanboy" pretty much since I've turned 21 and bought my first gen4 19. I think that will forever be the best gun they have made.

G26-Has-my-6 likes this.