Glock 48 failure with S15

Discussion in 'Gun-Parts & Access.' started by AARon Balakay, Apr 6, 2020.

1. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Hello all, New to the forum but I have recently encountered a problem and I can not quite figure out the cause.

Bought the Glock 48 the moment I saw it, loved it from the get go. As most might have, I bought the shield arms S15 15-round magazine and aluminum mag catch. I replaced the factory mag catch release with the metal one as recommended by shield (a lot more difficult than I thought.)

I eventually got it and things were great, my new carry gun was slimmer than my 19 and held the same amount of ammo (15)

While training the other day I noticed the new mags (S15) came out after firing. After trying to guess what it was I could not diagnose the problem. Beyond frustrated I took my gun apart and noticed that the aluminum mag catch provided by shield was rounded/worn already.

I had less than 200 rounds through these mags. Has anyone else encounter this with their 43X/48?

I switched to a factory mag and they seemed to work fine.

Buckshot Barry likes this.
  2. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

"While training the other day I noticed the new mags (S15) came out after firing. After trying to guess what it was I could not diagnose the problem."

Not sure what you mean! I've fired a few thousand rounds through my G48 with S15 mags and a NDZ mag catch with no problems. Trying to help please explain. :dunno:

AARon Balakay likes this.

3. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Thanks for the quick reply!

I actually bought the silver NDZ mag catch release first and the same think happened to it, I can post pictures but basically its worn out the part that catches the mag.

When I load the mag, initially it will "click" into place and then I'll chamber the first round and get into my stance;

After the first shot, I'll pull the trigger again and get a click, no bang.

At first I used remedial action and everything was fine but soon it was after each round. Shortly then I noticed the mag was out, only about an inch or so.

Soon with less rounds the mag would fall out of the gun completely after each shot.

After playing with it, I can pull the S15 mags right out of the gun.

4. Pteridine

Pteridine

When was the last time you needed more than 10+1 rounds between reloads in a civilian confrontation?

The Glock reputation for reliability is built on OEM components. Anything but OEM increases the likelihood that it will be less reliable, as you have discovered. I recommend that you revert to the original configuration and carry the second magazine if you think 11 shots is not enough.

5. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

"Soon with less rounds the mag would fall out of the gun completely after each shot."

Please post some pics. I'm at a loss. :dunno:

Just checking: Are you sure the mag catch is installed completely - correctly. Is the "pin" all the way seated in the catch? Pics will help. :cheers:

6. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

With all due respect I disagree. I have many thousands of rounds through my G48 with S15 mags. No failures - NONE. BTW, my sights, trigger and mag catch are not OEM. Runs great!:cheers:

Shield mag 1.JPG

gh1138 and Jarhead71 like this.
  7. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

I mean not to get too far off topic, you're not wrong. But then we get into the debate of why not a .40 over 9mm, why not .45.

I choose the 19 for its size, capacity and overall reliability. The 48 comes out as the same sized gun with a thiner frame. yes after market parts can cause issues but as the used above noted, he has thousands of rounds through the same products with no issues, why should I just "go back to default" if hundreds if not thousands of other users are having no issues with the same product.

I hope I am never in need of my personal carry gun. If I ever am, I'm sure 10+1 will be enough. But god forbid I do get into that situation I think every single gun owner would agree they would rather have 15 instead of 10.

gh1138, Sainte and Danielsuzuki like this.
  8. Featherweight

Featherweight

9. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Its hard to see but there's the mag catch (from shield arms)

As you can tell I had a b**** of a time getting the mag catch retention rod/spring out and promptly scraped up the nice polymer finish; I seriously doubt that has anything to do with the failures.

I think after two installs (NDZ then shield arms mag catches) I may have weakened that rod/spring just enough to not fully catch/seat the S15 mags.

Again, I'm at a loss because it functions factory mags no problem (although its beginning to scratch them with the rounded edge on the current mag catch release) glock mag catch .jpg

10. tomrkba

tomrkba

"When was the last time you needed more than 10+1 rounds between reloads in a civilian confrontation?"

Check out Active Self-Protection and you'll see many instances where the good guy burns through 10 rounds in a few seconds.

Sainte, Danielsuzuki and pgg00 like this.
  11. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

I didn't want to get into semantics but yes^ thanks for the support.

When the adrenaline gets going 10 can go off pretty quick.

Sainte likes this.
  12. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

I understand the principle behind not "messing" with a gun too much.

A lot of these instagram warriors have the coolest "insert expensive trigger, sights, etc." but changing one piece (for a better one, and one that many people have changed out multiple times.) should not cause this much of an issue.

So posting "Just leave it alone" is not really that helpful

Danielsuzuki likes this.
  13. Pteridine

Pteridine

You will have 21 if you reload with the second magazine. You will have 1 if the add-on mag release drops the +5 mag after the first shot. Balancing capacity with reliability and ease of carry is always difficult. Some folks on here even say not to modify for legal reasons in case the one in a million event occurs and you do have to shoot someone. They say that modifying may get you portrayed as looking for trouble and less as acting in defense.

14. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Not sure if I made that clear but I used to carry my Glock19 for the capacity (15) as opposed to a 43 or Shield or something.

I bought the 48 because of the slimmer profile in combination with a higher capacity than most smaller profile guns.

And not to be disrespectful but adding modifications to your gun is not going to have any, and I mean any, legal ramifications if you are using your weapon in self defense.

If I were to load up all my ARs and Glocks with the 33 round extended mag and walk into the hood yelling obscenities, then yes I might be "looking for trouble" simply have a flush fit 15 round double stack magazine as opposed to a cheap Glock polymer one (single stack 10 round) will not do anything (other than give me 5 more rounds to use) if someone tries to car jack me or break into my home (in terms of the law)

Side note, while I appreciate the reply if you don't really have any technical advice then I don't wish to further discuss the semantics of street gun fights and carry capacity. As I said before many (hundreds) have posted youtube videos of these same products working, without fail.
    Feel free to reply but just know this will be my last.

15. Fatboy2001

Fatboy2001

AARon, if your still out there here is a pic of my mag catch. Some wear but no "rounding off".
    Well over a thousand rounds with this NDZ catch and S15 mags. Ignore the gouges on the frame. Not some of my better work. :D
    mag 3.JPG

16. AARon Balakay

AARon Balakay

Haha, thanks for sharing. Mine looks very similar. I tore the plastic to hell.

I emailed shield and they said I'm the second or third person to have this happen to. He said "I bet you got the gun when it first came out." which I did. He noted that there was essentially a "gen 1" 48 and 43X frame which for some reason wasn't allowing it to catch all the way and they're currently working on another mag catch.

He said he'll send me another one and I bought a new mag catch spring as a fail safe in case my screwdriver and lack of patience was to blame

glock_collector and Danielsuzuki like this.
  17. powernoodle

powernoodle

Always wanting to boss people around and argue, note that almost all of the responses are 1) you don't need more than 10 rounds, and 2) leave it alone. Not many, if any, addressing AAron's post.

Thanks AAron for answering your own question in post #16. I learned something.

18. G21FAN

G21FAN Loser Millennium Member

When changing the mag catch, use some hemostat, or locking forceps, to latch on to the spring pin. It makes the manipulation much easier for me.

19. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

I don’t do non-factory mags on my Glocks, HK or Walther.

mongo356, Boom Vang and cbetts1 like this.
  20. CrashFF00

CrashFF00

You're using a STEEL magazine.. with an aluminum mag release. This is a no brainer.

The aluminum is softer, so the shock and recoil is causing the part to wear down where it's in contact with the magazine body. Try a stock polymer mag release and see what the steel magazine does to it. You'll probably end up with the same damage over time.

The best thing you can do is to make sure there are no sharp edges on the catch window of the magazine to minimize point contact and wear

mongo356 and Sainte like this.