GlockTalk Forum banner

121 - 140 of 164 Posts

·
17,563 Posts
More specifically, it's a Gen5 G17 that has its slide and frame redesigned to use the same RSA as the CBP's other weapon, the Gen5 G19.
I'd like it as a G47x with a G19 slide and a choice of forward slide serrations or no forward slide serrations.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
If Glock doesn't do it, I'm hoping someone like Shadow Systems will. They seem to have had pretty good success with the MR918 and 920. A long slide gun based on the 920 would be a nice addition to the line. Heck. Even if Glock does sell the 47 I'd like to see a Shadow Systems variant.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
The 47 isn't a long slide. It's a17 that uses a 19 recoil spring. There would be no logical reason for Shadow to make one.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Are you talking about wanting a 17 slide on a 19 frame?
No. Shadow Systems already did that with the MR918L.

I'm wanting Shadow Systems to take their M918L and combine it with their version of a 19X/45 frame that uses G17 mags. This would essentially give us a Glock 47 albeit without the ambi slide catch.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
No. Shadow Systems already did that with the MR918L.

I'm wanting Shadow Systems to take their M918L and combine it with their version of a 19X/45 frame that uses G17 mags. This would essentially give us a Glock 47 albeit without the ambi slide catch.

Gotcha. So, not a long slide then.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Gotcha. So, not a long slide then.
A 19 long slide. 19 locking block and barrel just extended to 17 length. Slide would also be built to take a 19 recoil spring but with the length extended to 17 length to accommodate the longer barrel.

This would effectively give us a Gen 4 G47.

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
I know exactly what the 47 is. I carry one at work.

Thanks for your service! Are u guys allowed to buy a 47?

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unbelievable.
Not really. The contract is "owned" by CBP. It is no different than our not being allowed to buy any government items with personal money.

Can a soldier buy his own M17/M18 or M4 from the government?

·
Premium Member
7,460 Posts
Not really. The contract is "owned" by CBP. It is no different than our not being allowed to buy any government items with personal money.

Can a soldier buy his own M17/M18 or M4 from the government?

The M guns were the same thing. Contract owned by the Govt. Yet, tge agents were able to buy them then were sold by Lipseys.

Not that it matters but it seems absurd that none of the existing models were acceptable so they needed a 47.

Strictly from a collector standpoint I hope these are eventually sold.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
A 19 long slide. 19 locking block and barrel just extended to 17 length. Slide would also be built to take a 19 recoil spring but with the length extended to 17 length to accommodate the longer barrel.

This would effectively give us a Gen 4 G47.

What is the benefit of a 19 recoil spring on a full size gun?

·
Registered
130 Posts
What is the benefit of a 19 recoil spring on a full size gun?
None really. But the "1911" look appeals to me.

With that said, it does slightly simplify logistics. Armorers who maintain department guns only have to stock one recoil spring. Or one less spring if they also maintain 26s.

Also it should, at least in theory, allow us to swap slides around and make a G45 or a 19L. But there are no spare/replacement top ends in the supply chain.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
None really. But the "1911" look appeals to me.

With that said, it does slightly simplify logistics. Armorers who maintain department guns only have to stock one recoil spring. Or one less spring if they also maintain 26s.

Also it should, at least in theory, allow us to swap slides around and make a G45 or a 19L. But there are no spare/replacement top ends in the supply chain.

I can see the logistical benefit for something like the CBP, but it doesn't make much sense for a civvy.

·
Registered
27,792 Posts
... and an odd lip on the front of the mag baseplate for a CBP contract.
Looks like Glock has been requested to rediscover how to add some toe-hold real estate to the front of the mag floorplate so a user can more quickly get some purchase to yank out a recalcitrant magazine when things get chaotic, fast and fuzzy. Old idea.

Some trainers like the idea of the wider floorplates, which also works, but it also typically requires getting a firm purchase on both sides of the wider floorplate, while it takes just a single finger to get enough fast purchase on the slightly protruding floor plate foot to have the leverage to yank it free. Some folks like how you can just find the front of the grip frame with your finger, right above the bottom of the mag well, and then slam your finger down along the frame to push the stuck mag down and out.

Also a bit easier and faster to only require a single finger tip up front than having to grasp the mag bottom with both thumb (in backstrap channel) and index finger (up front) to remove a sticky mag. Easier and simpler manipulations can be handy under stress, especially when tenths of a second may be critical.

Depending on the reason for the recalcitrant stuck mag (slightly swollen/empty mag or a partially loaded one anchored with a double feed), it can even be done with the index finger of the hand if holding the replacement mag, still making for a fast correction and mag load.

Substance over form and appearance.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I can see the logistical benefit for something like the CBP, but it doesn't make much sense for a civvy.
A personal weapon set up with a common recoil spring and locking block would have the ability to use either length slide. Not a huge selling point but one some people would take advantage of.

121 - 140 of 164 Posts