Glock 45to 10mm

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Pygmalian, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

This has probably been addressed before but I did a search and could not find anything. I have a Gen 3 21SF and thinking about going to 10mm. I believe the lower parts are the same and I just need the entire upper slide, barrel and spring in 10mm. As far as the magazine for 10mm, will it fit in the lower like the 45 magazine? If this is possible which Generation upper in 10mm do I need? If this has been mentioned in a previous thread please direct me to it. Any help will be appreciated.

I might add that I'm interested in purchasing the entire upper so that I can easily change from one caliber to the next without replacing extractors.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  2. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Let me be the first to say take an extra $100 out of your savings and get a G20. By the time you buy mags, slide, internals, barrel, and headaches, $100 doesn't seem like much.

China boy likes this.

3. oldman11

oldman11

Actually you don't need to buy the whole upper. Lone wolf makes a 45 to 10mm barrel that works well, then buy 10mm magazine. However once you start shooting 10mm you will wind up getting the G20 anyway. Converting the 45 is a less expensive way to see if you'd like the 10mm. I guess there is good and bad either way. What I've told people who asked is if you like the 357 magnum, you'll like the 10mm. Good luck, and have fun.

happie2shoot likes this.
  4. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

I use a LW G29 4.6'' barrel in the g30 all the time with super results,
    this is the barrel I use,
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=272597&CAT=240

For the g21 I bet these barrels will work just fine for the conversion,
    you will only be out 100. dollars and a extractor mod.
    http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=175327&CAT=240

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=942&CAT=240

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=1504&CAT=238

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Detail.aspx?PROD=943&CAT=238

This will show you the extractor conversion,
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/glock-30-30sf-30s-information.1421425/

My g30 has been more reliable in 10mm than both my g20's.

If you live in the Boise area I would lend you some of the barrels that I
    posted for the g20 and show the modded extractor.

There are many on this forum that put down conversions and mods to glocks that
    have never tried them, ignore them, the glock has much potential.

5. 1canvas

1canvas

Are you saying you don't need a conversion barrel for your 30 to convert it to 10mm?

6. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

7. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

Got a link for that? I can't find a 10mm barrel for a G21.

8. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

Thanks everyone for your input. A friend recently ordered and received a new G20 and wanted me to try it out. I think I will and then decide which road to take from there.

9. glide

glide Just sayin'

There you go, try before you buy. Lucky you've got a friend that got one. I'm sure you will fall for one also.

10. screwedby

screwedby

Buy a reloader. Then simply load 'em hotter.

If you buy a G20 you may still need the reloader to realize the true potential of the 10mm.

A reloader can save you lots of money but the main reason I own one is to customize my ammo.

You can make them hot and you can make them mild. You can load premium bullets or you can load cheap practice ammo. You can gain a lot of satisfaction by hunting with your own creations.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

11. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman "ah-lay-mahn"

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2120449523/storm-lake-barrel-glock-21-45-acp-to-10mm-conversion-1-in-16-twist-stainless-steel

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/714785/glock-magazine-glock-20-20sf-10mm-auto-15-round-polymer-black

https://www.underwoodammo.com/10mm-auto-180-grain-full-metal-jacket-box-of-50/

Look in "the 21 club" and "the 10 ring" forums and you will find the info you need to do a proper conversion. Many people have done this and posted the results. If you are lucky you might find someone here that will sell you their KKM conversion barrel, which I recommend over the others. KKM stopped selling it, don't know why.

I have had two G21gen3's and shot quite a lot of 10mm out of them both and enjoyed it. My last conversion barrel was the 6" Storm Lake. The Storm Lake chamber is much better, doesn't cause as much trouble with feeding.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  12. Pygmalian

Pygmalian

After some research, and help from some of you guys and gals, the one thing that scares me is the feeding problem with some after market barrels. I carry mine mainly for self defense and being retired LE a dependable sidearm is number one. Had a friend once involved in a shooting where his Beretta 9mm jammed after one round being fired. It wound up being that he hardly ever cleaned it but some things stick with you. It could have cost him his life, luckily his partner had a 357 revolver which ended the incident in their favor. I carried a G-22 on the job for years and now the 21SF. I have never had one single problem with either one of them so you can't get any more dependable than that. Glocks out of the box are just that. Another friend has a number of firearms and every time he gets a new one he has to take them apart and figure out how to make it better. Don't think I'll ever get to that point so simply buying another in 10mm may be the route I take. Thanks again for all of your help.

13. harold63

harold63 I'm not retired

I have one conversion barrel and it feeds perfectly, but this is more to design of the gun than the barrel. With the G21, the cartridge is basically fed straight into the chamber and it's probably why you never see stuff here about polishing feed ramps. Other brands where the bullet is fed and hits the middle of the feed ramp and has to ride up it to go in the chamber can be a problem, especially with HP's, if that ramp isn't glass smooth. Cheap 1911's, for example, sometimes need this service done to get reliable feeding. With the G21, or a conversion barrel for it, the bullet barely even hits the feed ramp.....it just goes straight in.

14. DAVIDF

DAVIDF

With that use in mind, I would go with a 20SF, especially since you already have the 21SF. I would not recommend a Gen4 as some people are still having FTF issues with them. I had a Gen4 that would not feed any ammo reliably. I have a Gen3 20 that is flawless. Simple feed ramp polishing might solve FTF issues with Gen4's, but maybe not. The only issue I've had with my Gen3 (and some people will say this is a non-issue) is I have to make sure I maintain a good grip with the heaviest ammo such as Underwood 200gr XTP loads. With loads that are slightly lighter, grip technique matters little. I tested various loads in the past few weeks to see which ones would work reliably with an extremely lite grip. My new carry load is a Georgia Arms 180gr Gold Dot at 1200fps as it is extremely reliable with a very lite one handed (weak or strong) grip as well as a firm two handed grip.

15. jester617

jester617

OP...... PM sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. glockpro.

glockpro.

Make it simple get a G20

harold63 likes this.
  17. Church Key

Church Key

I bought a new 3rd Gen. G20 upper and barrel off of the Glocktalk for sale section for $250 a while back. Works fine with a 2nd Gen. lower that I had gotten earlier for use with an Advantage Arms .22 LR upper. When all is said and done, it saved me the cost of a lower as I already had it. Otherwise, I suggest just getting a complete G20.

18. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

I do not use a conversion barrel in my g30, use a LW g29 4.6'' barrel and it has been more reliable
    than both my g20 sf and gen4.

like I said, you will only be out one a hundred dollar barrel and a magazine and the extractor mod.

19. vaquero aleman

vaquero aleman "ah-lay-mahn"

It seems that not everybody has experienced the same results, but my first range trip with my gen4G20 (completely stock) went very well. I did not have any jams of any type. I was shooting leftover GA Arms and Underwood 180gr and 200gr FMJ ammo that I had thrown together in a container. I also shot a couple of mags of some Underwood 135gr @ 1500 fps 40 S&W (now listed at 1400fps) without any problems, which some say do not do. I found my gen4G20 on theoutdoorstrader.com for $500 and the general consensus is that they are just not selling any higher, unless you buy a new one.

DSCF0551.JPG

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  20. happie2shoot

happie2shoot

This is an old post of mine, and outing with some UW 10mm ammo
    and some different guns, note the LW barrels were the most reliable.

I have shot and chronoed the UW 180, 200 and 220gr in both the g20 SF and
    the gen4, they were all with the 800X powder.
    The 180gr TMJ, the stock SF had one nose down in the magazine jam in ten shots,
    fps was 1262, with the 6.6'' LW barrel and ten shots, no jams and 1364fps, with the
    gen 4 g20 fifteen shots no jams and 1270fps, with the g 30 and the g29 LW barrel
    no jams in ten shots and 1272fps, will get some more of this good stuff.

The 200gr TMJ had three nose to left of chamber jams on the stock gen 4 in ten
    shots, ave fps was 1138fps, the stock SF had one nose to left of chamber
    in ten shots, fps 1146, with the 6.6''LW barrel, NO JAMS in 10 shots, fps 1221,
    with the g30 with the LW 4.6'' g29 barrel one nose down in the magazine jam,
    will not get this ammo any more, not enough power and jams.
    I did have a 22# RSA in the g30 and think the stock may have done better.

With the UW 220gr cast in the SF G20 no jams and 1128fps and no smiles,
    gen4 g20 no jams and 1165fps and big smiles, not good, with the G30 with the
    LW g29 4.6'' barrel 1194fps with no jams and no smiles and super accurate,
    with the 6.6'' LW barrel 1230 fps no jams and no smiles.
    The LW barrels have been more reliable and more accurate than the stock
    barrels in both the g20 SF and the gen 4 and even in the G30 with the LW 4.6'' barrel