close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Glock 45acp in true subcompact frame

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by MarccraM, Feb 8, 2010.

1. MarccraM

MarccraM

I know this isnt very important.. but is there some reason that glock couldnt have made a model (like the 39) that basically chambered 45 ACP? I realize the case is longer in the acp but would it not fit at all?

I cant seem to comfortably carry my g30 so I have been carrying my M&P 9 compact lately. The glock subs are generally lighter so I am leaning that way... I dont know if I will buy a 26 or a 27 however after reading tons of crap on ballistics I am leaning away from the .40 (being that it seems the 9mm and 40cal are so close in performance.

I dont want a 36 nor do I want a 39 so I am sort of stuck... I just wish they made a 39 sized acp platform and was curious if it "wouldnt work" or if it was simply the aspect of marketing the gap round?

2. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

Get a grip reduction, my 30 is the same size as the 19..

3. MarccraM

MarccraM

Its not the size.. its a weight issue. I have come to learn that (for me) the weight is the integral issue.. I have all kinds of holsters and all kinds of belts...

Doesnt seem to matter what I do.. heavier guns like a fully loaded g30 just feel like it is pulling down on my pants more than I care for.. I have to keep the belt very tight to compensate which causes it to be uncomfortable.

I have much less of these problems when I carry lighter guns so I am going to get a true glock subcompact.... it just irks me that I cant get a true subcompact glock with a 45 acp. :crying:

4. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr

So what is wrong with the 36? Isn't that what you are looking for?

5. JUSTBOB

JUSTBOB

QUOTE:
    "a fully loaded g30 just feel like it is pulling down on my pants more than I care for.. I have to keep the belt very tight to compensate which causes it to be uncomfortable."

Maybe you need a better gun belt, not a lighter gun???

6. glocksf30

glocksf30

isnt a glock 30sf a subcompact glock? i carry my glock 30sf and its not that bad i just carry in a iwb holster so it kinda tugs on my pants but its just the way i wear my pants.

7. Bowtie

Bowtie NRA MEMBER

You can. Its alot lighter and thinner but you already stated that you dont want a 36.

8. viniglock

viniglock

Does it really have to be Glock?

You may will have to look at other firearms outside of Glocks. Options are good.

9. MarccraM

MarccraM

Glock 29 and 30 are listed as subcompact, however they are larger than the 26, 27, 33, and 39 subcompact platforms.

Regarding the 36... I have held it in my hand at the same time I have my g30 in my other hand... Personally I find them to be so similar I cant justify the additional $500+

Now in the case of the smaller subcompact glocks, the difference is noticable.

10. MarccraM

MarccraM

I'd prefer it... Im kind of sold on their reliability and the availability of aftermarket items... I have a couple of SW's... MP9c and MP340, but I admit, I prefer carrying glocks. Guess its just a familiarity issue...

11. MarccraM

MarccraM

Ironically it amazingly similar.. the only difference between the 2 (30 vs 36) unloaded is about 3 ounces according to Glocks website.. The main difference loaded is the 36 is going to hold 4 rounds less which in 45 230gr makes a difference..

I could drop 4 rounds out of my g30 and I'd basically be there, but I was looking for what I beleived to be a better option...

12. ChristopherBurg

ChristopherBurg

The .45 auto Glock pistols are going to be larger and heavier because they are based on the 10mm frame. Glock probably could reduce the size and weight of their .45 guns but that would require another frame to manufacture, track, and warranty.

Furthermore the .45 auto round itself is quite heavy with a standard bullet ranging between 185 to 230 grains.

The bottom line is if you want a lighter gun you'll probably need to go to a smaller caliber like you're currently carrying. And since I'm on the subject why not just carry your M&P if it's comfortable? M&P pistols are great guns and will server you just as well as any Glock will. It sounds like the solution to your problem and you're already doing it.

13. viniglock

viniglock

I do prefer them, but unfortunately, they don't have all sizes, flavors and colors. You may want to look at the Kahr CW45, I shot it and was 99.99% (only one issue but was user error). Nice gun and economical. Beats the issue of not carrying and leaving your gun at home.

14. harmon rabb

harmon rabb

.40 is closer to .45 in performance than 9mm. there are all sorts of interesting .40 loads out there, one of which is a 135gr cor-bon load that is flung at 1350fs. that's pretty similar to 357mag actually.

15. MarccraM

MarccraM

Maybe trying to rationalize another purchase :whistling: :supergrin:

16. mteagle1

mteagle1

I doubt that anything we could say is what you want to hear because you want what you want the way you want it and that doesn't always work in real life. My suggestion would be a G30SF in a IWB loaded with 6-8 rounds of 185gr HP and a spare magazine of your weight choice.

17. viniglock

viniglock

Unfortunately, Glock is not Burger King.

18. mineralman55

mineralman55

That sounds appealing, but what is entailed in a grip reduction? Is it just taking it to a belt sander and removing enough material to make it comfortable?:rofl:
    What does that do to the strength of the frame?

19. beforeobamabans

beforeobamabans FYPM

I recently transitioned from carrying a G30SF to a G26 and I am very pleased. I still love the G30SF and with it's night sights and G21 mags makes a great HD weapon and of course it's still fun at the range (ie, don't sell it). But if weight is your concern, the 26 is 7-3/4oz lighter than the G30 fully loaded. That's a big, noticeable difference. It is my preferred strategy to maintain capacity rather than caliber so I wasn't interested in a six shooter .45. Now that I've found the perfect holster for the 26 (Brommeland Max Con V), my new EDC rig is all set.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  20. Dobie

Dobie

I have a Kahr CW45 and a G26 - The slides are virtually the same size.
    Grip is longer on the 45 but the weight is only 19.7 oz on the CW VS 19.5 on the baby Glock.
    Its the slim subcompact Glock should have built.

I wish it were a Glock also but its very comparable.