GlockTalk Forum banner

161 - 180 of 654 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Hey WBN, since you are in touch with Nelson Precision, I have a question on their aluminum slides: Will the breech face be an insert made of steel? Reason I'm asking is about two things that should be considered. Dry firing having the strong steel striker hitting the softer aluminum. And the hot gasses/burning powder pit away at the breech. I has an AA kit at one time and the alum breech got badly pitted from this.
A couple of other things, too: Will there be pressed in steel pins at the hold open nothches so the slide release doesn't chew away on the edges. And will the slide rails have some sort of steel liners to protect the aluminum from the thin sharp rails of the frame?
Just curious. Thanks!
I'll pass along these questions. I try to be respectful of Jeremy's time. I don't press him when he doesn't volunteer complete answers. You're starting to touch on the patent-pending aspect of the 44X slide, but we'll see what he says.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Ok, just some factors. I had a Ruger SP22 and the aluminum slide had a tightly fitted pinned in steel breech and the hold open notch had a pressed in steel pin for the metal slide stop, as well. Can't remember if the barrel opening at the front of the slide had a steel ring insert so the barrel wouldn't wear away at the aluminum opening.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Of course I don't want you to bug them WBN. Just some things I would want if I considered a slide from them.
But, here are some more pics of what I meant that might be a concern:
One is a pitted aluminum breech face and what had happened to my AA kit.
The other is the steel pin insert to avoid the notch from wearing from the slide release.
DSCN3780 (2).jpg
images (2).jpg

·
Registered
686 Posts
I have seen the rough/eroded breach faces on a lot of 22 conversion slides. Even 1911 conversion slides have that after a while. It's part of using aluminum for a slide which is common to keep weight down for a 22 conversion to properly function.

·
Registered
781 Posts
But, that is not acceptable. A steel insert breech is, at least to begin with. Especially for the Nelson's price and wanting it to last for thousands of rounds. Ruger did it with their SR22 and Walther did it with their PPQ-M22 rimfire and made it function fine with all I listed. They both have done that from the get go on their design and introduction.
The slide lock pin, steel rails and muzzle liner look like they are absent on the Nelson's.
I'm out. Sorry.
Good with my stock that already has all that.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
I'll pass along these questions. I try to be respectful of Jeremy's time. I don't press him when he doesn't volunteer complete answers. You're starting to touch on the patent-pending aspect of the 44X slide, but we'll see what he says.
Questions submitted to Jeremy at 9:21 AM MST. I'll let you know when I hear back. I'll bump him tomorrow afternoon if I haven't heard anything.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Hey WBN, since you are in touch with Nelson Precision, I have a question on their aluminum slides: Will the breech face be an insert made of steel? Reason I'm asking is about two things that should be considered. Dry firing having the strong steel striker hitting the softer aluminum. And the hot gasses/burning powder pit away at the breech. I has an AA kit at one time and the alum breech got badly pitted from this.
A couple of other things, too: Will there be pressed in steel pins at the hold open nothches so the slide release doesn't chew away on the edges. And will the slide rails have some sort of steel liners to protect the aluminum from the thin sharp rails of the frame?
Just curious. Thanks!
Not what you wanted to hear, but from Jeremy ...

There will not be any steel pins located in the slide catch / slide release notches.

The rails are all aluminum. From testing, we haven't noticed any premature wear if any at all from the slide riding on the frame rails.

The slides won't use a steel barrel bushing. There hasn't been any wear on the test slides.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #168 (Edited)

FAQ

Note: The author of this thread may have edited or paraphrased the answers from Nelson Precision Manufacturing (NPM) and BoogeyMan Customs (BMC). Some answers are taken from their web sites and Facebook pages.

Finish

Q: What is the finish on the BMC 44X Voodoo slide? Why doesn't the finish on my 44X Voodoo RMR cover plate match the slide?
A (BMC): All NPM and BMC 44X slides have a military-specification MIL-A-8625 type III black anodizing.* Both the NPM and BMC RMR cover plates have a MIL-A-8625 type II black anodizing. This is why the RMR cover plate and slide don't match.

* (Author's Note): The 44X.1 slides were cerakoted over MIL-A-8625 type III black anodizing.

(BMC MIL-A-8625 Type III 44X Voodoo Slide and Type II RMR Cover Plate)

Iron Sights

Q: Will the 44X slides accept Trijicon Bright & Tough suppressor-height sights (GL201-C-600661)? What about other top aftermarket iron sights?
A (NPM): Yes, the 44X slides will accept Trijicon Bright & Tough suppressor-height sights. However, from the disclaimer sheet that ships with the 44X slides,

"NELSON PRECISION DOES NOT RECOMMEND INSTALLING ANY AFTERMARKET SIGHTS INTO THE 44X SLIDE. THE 44X SLIDE HAS BEEN MACHINED TO ONLY ACCEPT NELSON PRECISION MANUFACTURING'S (NPM) SIGHTS. INSTALLING SIGHTS OTHER THAN THE NPM SIGHTS MAY CAUSE DAMAGE TO THE SLIDE WHICH WILL NOT BE COVERED BY NELSON PRECISION MANUFACTURING."

Refer to Iron Sights and Dovetail Cut.

Internal Parts

Q: Does the 44X slide come with internal parts (e.g., extractor, extractor depressor plunger & spring assembly, firing pin assembly, firing pin safety / spring, ...)?
A (NPM): No. You're expected to move your OEM Glock 44 slide internal parts to your 44X slide.

Q: Does the 44X slide come with a channel liner?
A (NPM): No. The Glock 44 doesn't require a channel liner.

Q: Starting with serial number prefix AEHK, Glock redesigned the Glock 44 slide and extractor. Is the 44X slide compatible with the new extractor, the old extractor or both?
A (NPM): The NPM and BMC 44X slides will be compatible with both the old and new OEM Glock 44 extractors.

Refer to Redesigned Glock 44 Slide and Extractor.

Refer to OEM Glock 44 / 44X Upper Parts in the original post.

Slide Weight and Reliability

Q: How much does each 44X slide model weigh?
A (NPM):

44X Voodoo - 5.3 oz
44X Carry - 5.5 oz
44X with Manufacturing Information Marking - 5.7 oz
44X Angled Front & Rear Serrations - 5.7 oz
- with: Nelson Precision suppressor-height iron (aluminum) sights, cover plate and mounting screws; without internals, barrel and recoil spring assembly
Refer to Slide Weight for more complete information.

Ammo and Reliability

Q: Does the 44X slide function properly with standard-velocity ammo?
A (NPM): The 44X Voodoo slide runs standard-velocity (and high-velocity) ammo quite well (Facebook, August 9, 2020). This ammo has ran flawlessly (through November 18, 2020),

In general,

NPM recommends the use of high quality, high velocity ammunition for optimum performance.

* (Author's Note): It may be possible to "tune" the performance of the 44X slides using a reduced power recoil spring.

Refer to Modular Recoil Spring Assembly and Guide Rod Tool.

Locking Block

Q: Does the 44X slide require a NPM aluminum locking block in place of the OEM plastic locking block?
A (NPM): No.

Refer to Locking Block.

Slide Wear

Note: There's a general concern within the G44X community regarding how well the NPM and BMC aluminum 44X slides will wear over time (including slide rail wear, breech face pitting, damage from dry-firing, ...). The 44X slides don't seem to have incorporated any preventative measures commonly found in other .22 LR pistols with aluminum slides.

Note: NPM hasn't observed any premature wear through their testing to date (September 2020). However, it's unclear how many rounds the slide(s) have been subjected to.

Q: Will the striker spring rubbing on the aluminum channel cause wear in the absence of a channel liner? Will the steel slide stop lever wear into the notch on the aluminum slide?
A (NPM): With respect to the striker, our slides shouldn't cause any premature wear being that the OEM slides don't utilize a channel liner.

Q: There are concerns with dry-firing and pitting with an aluminum breech (e.g., Advantage Arms). Will the 44X breech face be an insert made of steel?
A (NPM): The slides won't use a steel barrel bushing. There hasn't been any wear on the test slides.

Q: Will there be pressed in steel pins at the hold open notches so the slide release doesn't chew away on the edges?
A (NPM): There will not be any steel pins located in the slide catch / slide release notches.

Q: Will the slide rails have some sort of steel liners to protect the aluminum from the thin sharp rails of the frame?
A (NPM): The rails are all aluminum. From testing, we haven't noticed any premature wear if any at all from the slide riding on the frame rails.

MRDS

Q: How does the RMR attach to the slide?
A (NPM): The RMR attaches to the slide via proprietary (patent-pending) attachment lugs.

Refer to Breech Block, RMR Cut and MRDS.

Q
: Almost half of all RMR-cut Glock slides are milled rear iron sight forward. Will the 44X slide be offered with the rear iron sight milled in front of the RMR?
A (NPM): Not initially. However, we are in the process of redesigning the 44X slide and breech block to support rear iron sight forward.

* (Author's Note): In addition to rear iron sight forward, several potential customers have expressed interest in a "race cut".

Q: The NPM web site states, “The slides only accept Trijicon RMR & SRO optics.” The BoogeyMan Customs web site states, "Holosun 507 & 508 Family of Optics fit as well". Does the 44X slide accept all MRDS’s compatible with the Trijicon RMR footprint?
A (NPM): At this time, we’re only saying the 44X slides are compatible with the Trijicon RMR and SRO. *

General

Q: What is the relationship between NPM and BMC? Are they both making aftermarket slides for the Glock 44? Are the slides the same?
* (Author’s Note): NPM and BMC are co-located in the same complex in Tucson, Arizona. From Terry (Paroz) at BMC,

Terry at BMC has provided Jeremy (Nelson) with a modified version of the BMC Voodoo Cut (also available for a Glock 17 and 19). Jeremy is machining all of the 44X slides (including the 44X Voodoo slide). NPM and BMC 44X slides are identical with the exception of the cosmetic "cuts" and the RMR cover plate.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #169 (Edited)
(Sorry, I had to break out the "FAQ" from the original post as it exceeded the 10,000 character GlockTalk limit. The original post links to this new "FAQ" post and vice versa. The FAQ will be maintained here going forward.)​

·
Registered
686 Posts
I know that Nelson is coming out with an adjustable recoil spring assembly. But if you want a OEM recoil spring assembly even as a spare for your OEM slide, Midwest Gun Works has them in stock now.

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/product-display.html?Product_Code=39435

I went ahead and decided to use the OEM barrel for the 44X slide so ordered it along with the RSA just now from MGW. I now have everything either on hand or ordered to make a complete pistol besides the frame and slide.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
I know that Nelson is coming out with an adjustable recoil spring assembly. But if you want a OEM recoil spring assembly even as a spare for your OEM slide, Midwest Gun Works has them in stock now.
Thank you, @CBTENGR!

I just wanted to provide our G44X community with an update regarding the availability of the Nelson Precision G44 / G44X adjustable RSA (Recoil Spring Assembly) ...

First and foremost, Jeremy (Nelson) (and BoogeyMan Customs) is busting his butt to deliver the 44X slides as promised (starting on Halloween).

They'd originally planned to ship the adjustable RSA on Black Friday (Thanksgiving). However, I explained to Jeremy that not only are we purchasing OEM G44 internal parts (i.e., extractor, extractor depressor plunger & spring assembly, firing pin assembly and firing pin safety including spring), but several of us are purchasing complete upper assembly parts (including a barrel and RSA) to build out complete 44X upper assemblies while preserving our OEM G44 upper assembly.

Jeremy has said, "... we are going to try and have the RSA's available before the slides start shipping." I suggested to Jeremy that he offer a pre-order on the adjustable RSA.

This is the latest information I have. Obviously, I'll update the G44X community as new information becomes available.

To @CBTENGR's point, if you want to ensure you have a G44 / G44X RSA available on day one to build out a complete G44X, it may make sense to purchase an OEM RSA (or two) from Midwest Gun Works.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I got the same answer from Jeremy yesterday about trying to get the adjustable recoil springs available before the slides ship. I also saw on facebook where they will offer a set of suppressor height sites too.

I ordered one OEM RSA figuring that if I don't use it in the 44X slide, I'll have it as a spare for my original slide. Maybe I should have ordered more. HAHA.

I also ordered the OEM G44 trigger housing since I still have the OEM trigger that I swapped out when I installed the Hyve Tech Monarch trigger. I have pretty much everything now for a complete custom G44 if/when Vuurwapen releases their Gen X frame or I find a cheap G19.5 frame.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
I'm still trying to sort out the situation as it relates to the possibility of a 44X suppressor-height front sight (or suppressor-height sights in general ... front and rear).

Jeremy (Nelson) announced he intends to offer an optional suppressor-height FRONT sight. It's assumed this will be paired with an optional suppressor-height REAR sight. ;)

I'd like to propose a third option ... no front and rear sights. Iron sights reflect a very personal preference. Many of us will replace whatever iron sights the 44X slides ship with (whether standard-height or suppressor-height). Why not save both parties a few bucks?

I can't imagine anyone would buy a Nelson Precision / BoogeyMan Customs 44X slide without intending to run a Trijicon RMR (or Holosun MRDS). A Trijicon RMR warrants suppressor-height sights. It's hard to imagine the 44X slide would ship with standard-height sights. I'd still suggest no iron sights.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I didn't think that the 44X slide bought directly from Nelson came with sights. Nelson's page doesn't say anything about sights, it just says that the slide ships stripped. I know that the Boogyman Customs slide does come with iron sights.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
Man I need to get my bifocals checked because I sure did miss that on Nelson's website.
I'm sitting here reading this with my bi-focals. ;)

I'm following your lead! I have a complete set of parts ... upper and lower (including barrels, RSA's, locking blocks, trigger mechanism housings / ejectors) to set up two G19.5 frames with 44X slides. If Nelson Precision adjustable RSAs become available, so be it. In either case, I'm good to go. The good news ... Glock OEM parts are (relatively) cheap!

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm sitting here reading this with my bi-focals. ;)

I'm following your lead! I have a complete set of parts ... upper and lower (including barrels, RSA's, locking blocks, trigger mechanism housings / ejectors) to set up two G19.5 frames with 44X slides. If Nelson Precision adjustable RSAs become available, so be it. In either case, I'm good to go. The good news ... Glock OEM parts are (relatively) cheap!
The only expensive part outside besides the frame and slide is the barrel which wasn't too bad from MGW. With my military discount through MGW, the barrel was $118.75.

Since I enjoy building 80% frames, I am really hoping that Vuurwapen gets ATF approval very soon. I'm getting any to build a G44 and have it customized.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Thanks for the update guys. I missed the sight inclusion completely. I have a set of blackout Ameriglo suppressor height sights in my stash. I also have a full set of parts less a barrel. I went back and forth with threaded or non-threaded that by the time I decided on non-threaded they were out of stock so I am on the Notify list. I ordered a stock 44 RSA but also have a 19.5 compatible guide rod and a couple weights of lighter recoil springs, just in case. I will do a pre-order if presented with that option.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I'm glad I went ahead and ordered the OEM non threaded barrel when I did. They didn't stay in stock very long. Make sure to act right away once you get the in stock notification. I got my notification Thursday morning and ordered right away. I should get my order today or Monday according to USPS tracking.

I was in the same boat trying to decide if I wanted the threaded or non threaded barrel. I decided to just go with the non threaded barrel for now. I didn't want to add any additional variables to the mix until I can fully test everything out.

161 - 180 of 654 Posts