1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Whats the factory weight?

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes, I tried a lighter firing pin spring - mostly light primer strikes.

Put stock back in 5 minutes later.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I tried a reduced power spring as well and also had numerous light strikes. Switched back within minutes as stated above.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Is it possible to buy a stronger striker spring? I get some fail to fires, wondering if that would solve it. If so, can you send me a link where to buy? thanks. John

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
Is it possible to buy a stronger striker spring? I get some fail to fires, wondering if that would solve it. If so, can you send me a link where to buy? thanks. John
Did you look at the rim of the rounds where you get FTFs?
Are they good firing pin strikes and equal to the case rim strikes of the rounds that do fire?
Have you tried different ammo?
How old is the current ammo where you experience FTFs?

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
FWIW, for every 1.0-lbf increase in a Glock's FIRING PIN SPRING compressed force, Trigger-pull force will increase about 0.5-lbf.

Reactions: SARDG

·
Registered
138 Posts
Did you look at the rim of the rounds where you get FTFs?
Are they good firing pin strikes and equal to the case rim strikes of the rounds that do fire?
Have you tried different ammo?
How old is the current ammo where you experience FTFs?
This is with good quality ammo. CCI Mini-Mag. I have had some with the Aguila Interceptor / Super Maximum as well. To my naked eye (at a somewhat darkened gun range) the marks seem as deep as the ones that fired correctly. I put them back in the gun and fired them. I will keep fail to fire ones next time and take them home where there is better lighting.

Would I move up to the 6lb spring then? Someone also mentioned I should take a look and clean the striker which I have not done yet.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Just something to consider here, and it tends to be more of an issue with then revolvers than the autos, mostly due to how the rounds get chambered. If the gun is dirty, and the rounds aren't seating fully on loading, you can and will get light strikes.

Now, with the Glocks, they would have to be pretty dirty for that to start happening, but I have run across similar with other autos in the past. It really seems to be more of a problem with the revolvers, and I still see it a lot, if Im not paying attention as I shoot and the gun gets dirty, but that is usually the issue there.

The problem is, the round isnt fully seated, and it moves forward as its struck, which takes away from the firing pin strike. This is easier to see with the revolvers, as you can actually see the problem if youre paying attention as you load the gun. Its not so apparent with the autos.

I have two 44's and its never been a problem, but I clean them after every outing and I pay extra attention to the chamber area, due to the fluting.

Reactions: SARDG

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
...Would I move up to the 6lb spring then? Someone also mentioned I should take a look and clean the striker which I have not done yet.
I would not be changing the firing pin spring until you've worked through other potential causes. Then I still wouldn't change it as 10s of thousands of these 44s are working with the stock spring. I would suspect another root cause of your issues. Honestly, in general, changing parts (from stock) in a pistol that already has problems, will likely only exacerbate the problem or add another.

Check your ammo under some light.
As ak103k suggested, make certain your barrel throat/chamber is clean - all .22 is comparatively dirty stuff.
I found the firing pin channel of one of my 44s to be fairly dirty after only a few rounds, whereas centerfire channels never seem to be dirty. When you clean your 44, do you lube it specifically according to the G44 manual? Is there any chance whatsoever that oil worked its way to the FP channel?

I'd say to find a Certified Glock Armorer in your area - but realistically... Certified Glock Armorer's knowledge and experience varies greatly and they may be of no real help - unless you find a @Mike-M or @fastbolt.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I would not be changing the firing pin spring until you've worked through other potential causes. Then I still wouldn't change it as 10s of thousands of these 44s are working with the stock spring. I would suspect another root cause of your issues. Honestly, in general, changing parts (from stock) in a pistol that already has problems, will likely only exacerbate the problem or add another.

Check your ammo under some light.
As ak103k suggested, make certain your barrel throat/chamber is clean - all .22 is comparatively dirty stuff.
I found the firing pin channel of one of my 44s to be fairly dirty after only a few rounds, whereas centerfire channels never seem to be dirty. When you clean your 44, do you lube it specifically according to the G44 manual? Is there any chance whatsoever that oil worked its way to the FP channel?

I'd say to find a Certified Glock Armorer in your area - but realistically... Certified Glock Armorer's knowledge and experience varies greatly and they may be of no real help - unless you find a @Mike-M or @fastbolt.
I clean my G44 after every use. But I just break it down, clean the barrel, the edges that interface with the slide. Oil the barrel, the edges of slide contact, and the back area that was listed in manual. I haven't taken out the striker. I just saw a video of how to break that down. I'll re-read the manual again, but I believe I follow their guidelines.

I might go to range today and see what I get. If there are any fail to fires, I will keep the round(s) this time. Last trip we got about 1% fail to fire (2-3 out of 305 rds).

·
Florida's Left Coast
9,515 Posts
...I might go to range today and see what I get. If there are any fail to fires, I will keep the round(s) this time. Last trip we got about 1% fail to fire (2-3 out of 305 rds).
I looked back on a couple of your posts in another thread and you initially remarked that your son was getting the FTFs. Whether true today or not, just be certain that you are both using a proper grip.

You can look at YTs for an explanation of detail stripping the slide, but when the videos begin with words like striker, slide release, takedown lever, and mag release... I worry about their veracity. YouTube certified armorers are a scary thing.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The slide part break down didn't look too complicated. On the other thread someone posted they cleaned their striker (port?) and it fixed things.

Our grip is good. In fact we fired quite a few rental Glocks (G43, G22) at the range also. Zero issues with those 2 guns.

·
Registered
138 Posts
@SARDG and @ak103k - Thanks for your valuable advice on this and other issues.

Anyway, I took the slide off just now and examined it. Was looking to pull out the striker, but didn't have a pick handy. I should have taken a before picture of the striker area with the crude on it. Yes, it was quite dirty. I could see where this build up could allow the striker to not go in quite as deep. Anyway, here is a picture of it cleaned. You can see how the round seats in this area from the rubbed off part (circle shape). I'm going to re-read the G44 manual to see if it says to clean this. I am adding this area to my cleaning regimen. Going to range in a while, fingers crossed. Maybe this will solve the issue. -John

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts