Glock 44 Magazines

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by wickedbeernut, Sep 15, 2020.

1. jmaj

jmaj

Executive summary - the path of least resistance is get some promag 18s. Mine work fine. The club has a 10 round limit so I use the stock magazines there.

2. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

I field-stripped my G44 when I got home. I noticed the ejector is now catching on the slide cover plate. I assume the ejector is bent / curved more than it should be? Likely from one of the experimental magazines. Thoughts?

upload_2020-9-18_13-50-48.jpeg

upload_2020-9-18_13-51-21.jpeg

3. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Yes, I agree. The way in which the ProMag magazines are loaded is critical. Obviously, this is the first time I've used the Mr. 380 EZ Products ProMag magazine loader. I'm not sure which loader you're getting. The one I have is horseshoe-shaped. It wraps around the magazine and catches on the load-assist tabs. There's a fair amount of friction between the magazine loader and the magazine. The follower / load assist tabs doesn't relax between rounds as well as in the absence of a magazine loader. I think the key is to load rounds as if you didn't have load assist tabs or a magazine loader and then use the magazine loader to assist in depressing the load assist tabs, rather than solely using the magazine loader to depress the load assist tabs to the point you can easily slip in the next round. At that point, you've likely depressed the load assist tabs too far. I suspect it's best to always maintain downward pressure on the previous round. It's going to take some getting used to.

4. G8V8

G8V8

Mine looks very much like yours. To install the slide I need to push the slide to the right a little to clear the ejector. My tip lines up with a Promag identically to your.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  5. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Thanks, G8V8! Maybe I've just never noticed the ejector catching the slide cover plate. There's quite a bit of slop in the slide at that point. I can move the tip of the ejector from the center of the slide cover plate to the center of the left cut-out in the slide cover plate. If I push the slide to the right, the ejector will comfortably clear the slide cover plate.

I guess I'm just paranoid. After 700+ rounds, today was the first time I had a FTF ... ugly, dented brass. Or maybe I was just looking for an excuse to order a couple trigger mechanism housings (with ejector) for my Nelson Precision 44X .22 LR conversion kit. ;)

Oh well, I've restored all six of my OEM magazines to "Alex Alex" OEM followers with Walther 15+1 springs. I'm going to label all of my OEM and ProMag magazines. And load 'em up for another range trip.

I ordered this on eBay today. It's a foam insert for one of my MTM ammo cans (TMCLE). It holds 30 double-stack magazines. That'll give me an excuse to buy a few more Glock 44 magazines. I much prefer sitting here drinking a beer, loading magazines at home than reloading magazines at the "range". 450 rounds would make for a productive range trip. And a lot of fun for $36.

[​IMG]

6. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

3D-Printed Magazines

Mr. 380 EZ Products

[​IMG]
    (Left: Mr. 380 EZ Products 3D-Printed Magazine with +4 Follower and +1 Base Plate; Right: Mr. 380 EZ Products 3D-Printed Magazine with +5 Follower and OEM Base Plate)

Initial Evaluation (September 2020)

After the problems I had with the Mr. 380 EZ Products +4 and +5 followers in an OEM Glock 44 magazine, I've decided not to invest any rounds in his full-blown 3D-printed magazines.

The spring appears to be an OEM Glock 44 magazine spring. The topmost coils of the spring in the magazine with the +1 base plate appear to have been stretched. This is evident in the picture (on the left). This shouldn't come as a surprise as the "Alex Alex" 15-round conversion requires a longer spring. However, the travel is rough. It makes a terrible racket simply exercising the follower using a small screwdriver.

Unlike other 3D-printed magazine extensions, the Mr. 380 EZ base plate does have notches corresponding to the tabs on either side of the magazine. However, the 3D-printed base plate is nowhere near as secure the OEM base plate.

Given the $13 ProMag magazine, it's hard to imagine a price-point at which these magazines could be competitive and profitable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
  7. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

This also relates to the caveat I alluded to with cut-down followers and magazine loaders ... "hood style" magazine loaders in particular. In loading the first round, the post in the top of the hood presses down on the rear of the follower. This cants the front of the cut-down follower up and it catches on the front of the magazine. This is remedied by manually loading the first round.

8. G8V8

G8V8

I have had that happen.

9. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

Mine will hit the back cover too. Mine is not as bad as wickedbeernut's though. You also have to take into account that the slide is only sitting on the front rails at that point and can rock both up and down and side to side. Once the slide reaches the back portion of the frame it is fine since there is both polymer and the rails to support it.

IMG_2168.jpg

wickedbeernut and Doc Holliday like this.
  10. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

After reading numerous posts on this forum and on RimfireCentral, I am starting to see a definite pattern with the ProMag magazines. They seem to not like 36 grain ammo. A good number of people complaining about feeding issues have stated that it is when they are using 36 grain ammo. I have to guess that it is because of the bullet profile of the 36Gr versus the 40Gr ammo.

It would be nice if we could keep a tab on this.

11. G8V8

G8V8

Interesting. I have only used 40 gr.

wickedbeernut likes this.
  12. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I have only used 40Gr myself without issues. I am definitely starting to see a pattern between here and RimfireCentral with feeding issues and 36Gr ammo.

13. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Not from the magazines at all. From the factory. My brand new G44 is exactly the same, I haven't even shot it yet. Gotta move the slide over just a bit to clear the ejector when reinstalling.

14. G8V8

G8V8

The post on the front of the G44 mags and on the Promag have a pretty sharp angle at the transition from vertical to slopped. I have seen rounds not at the correct nose-up angle hit that edge and jam with a notch cut into the bullet nose. I can imagine rounds that are not smooth being even more prone to catching of the post. I have wondered if softening that edge or changing the angle to lower the corner might reduce FTF but have not been able to bring myself to waste a mag if it makes things worse rather than better.

15. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Thanks, Doc! Just paranoia on my part. I’m all in on the G44. Counting the days until I get my Nelson Precision and BoogeyMan Customs slides.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  16. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

+1

After having wanted a G44 since its launch in January, I only bought my G44 a month ago after,

1. I saw evidence of a 15-round magazine.​

And,

2. I was reassured Nelson Precision would deliver an RMR-cut slide (I’d been following the 44X slide since February).​

I’ve since bought 10K rounds of CCI Mini-mag (MPN 0030). That’s the only ammo I intend to run through my G44(s).

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    G8V8 likes this.
  17. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Just FYI ...

I mailed Jeremy (Nelson) at Nelson Precision and Terry (Paroz) at BoogeyMan Customs a ProMag Industries Glock 44 18-round magazine this week. Jeremy and Terry are co-located in the same complex in Tucson. I'm curious to see whether the 10-ish ounce 44X slide will have a bearing on the performance of the ProMag magazine. Obviously, I'll share whatever I find out.

CBTENGR likes this.