Glock 44 Home Defense Ammo

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Yankeefan816, Oct 21, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Gregoire G

Gregoire G

I like these little tip-up barrel pistols. They are a good idea for someone with hand strength issues.

2. Toocool45

Toocool45

I would use ammo that functions 100 percent thru the pistol. AFTER its broken in.

3. bubbatime

bubbatime

No hollow points, you want 40 grain solids. You want max penetration in a .22 pistol. I would definitely choose CCI mini mags, 40 grain, round nose rounds.

I've been saying for years, that a Ruger 10/22 loaded with 25 rounds of CCI ammunition, is a pretty good home defense weapon. Long gun, so fast accurate hits, better ballistics than a .22 pistol, and you can mag dump 6 rounds per second into your target. I think this is far better home defense gun than a compact 9 for most people, especially elderly or weak handed individuals, and especially those that have no training and wont get any training. I've seen far too many jams after the first shot with semi auto pistols....

ThatGuyYouKnow and Yankeefan816 like this.
  4. Small_Axe

Small_Axe

Most would advise against it. But Clint Smith posed the question: "Ever been shot in the d*ck?"

ETA: I pocket carried a Beretta Bobcat at one time, before trading it in for a LCP. CCI all the way.

5. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

If your pistol feeds them reliably, I’d choose Velocitors every day and Sunday.

Yankeefan816 likes this.
  6. Quigley

Quigley Elite Member

A lot of people are recommending velocitors and they are probably a good choice but 22s don’t always react the same in a pistol as you’d expect given rifle tests. Check out gel tests in a pistol for whatever you use. TNoutdoors9 did some .22 ballistic gel tests a few years ago using a Ruger SR22 and a several different popular CCI rounds. From what I recall the CCI 36gr minimag did the best. You want 12in of penetration and I don’t recall any of the other popular 22 rounds from CCI getting that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yankeefan816 likes this.
  7. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

I love the G44, it has brought back the fun of shooting 22 pistols for me, and I find it useful for transition drills.

Currently I do not use it in any self defense capacity, but if I did I would not worry too much about penetration and such, the role of a 22 is go bang make noise and, if things really turn sour, to punch accurately in the dome of the perp without destroying my hearing. For that, I have tested my G44 with Aguila subsonic ammo which -surprisingly- it runs very well.

I find it runs very reliably with a lot of brands of ammo, must have been lucky with mine.

Yankeefan816 likes this.
  8. SargeMO

SargeMO

60 grain Aguila SSS