Glock 44 failure to feed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RugerFan1911, Jan 22, 2020.

1. 4 Paws

4 Paws

Thought I would post an update also as this thread has taken off. Spoke with Glock this morning and asked directly if aftermarket sights would have any effect on the 44, the answer was no, go ahead. Installed a set of AmeriGlo sights with fiber optic front post. Then lightly applied some oil on all contact points. Then off to the range and fired 200 rds of CCI Mini Mags. I had zero issues with any first round failing to feed properly. The gun also ran flawlessly for the entire time with no hiccups at all. Overall impression was 100% favorable with no reliability issues.

2. RugerFan1911

RugerFan1911

UPDATE FROM OP:

Since I started this thread I thought it only right to update my visit to the range today with my 44. On Wednesday I shot 20 mags and had "nose up" issues on the first bullet 6 of 20 times. Today I shot 21 mags and I had ONLY 1 FTF problem and 1 FTE!

I used 4 brands of ammo, 5 mags each: CCI Mini Mag round nose, Federal Bulk hollow points, MagTech round nose, and Federal Target Gold round nose. It was with the Gold that I had the feed problem and 1 stove pipe. For some reason this ammo shot about 2" higher than the other 3 brands...I only shot 1 mag with this ammo and went back to the Federal Bulk for 5 more mags.

What did I do differently today? I used the suggestion to physically point the top round UP instead of leaving it flat. That worked 20 out of 21 times...and that was, as on Wednesday, using the slide release to feed the bullet into the chamber. I'm wondering if maybe the one time I had the issue if maybe the top round dropped back to a flat position after inserting the mag? I tried to check that each time, but might have missed it this time?

Overall I am very happy with the 44. I have several .22 pistols and this one certainly moved up closer to the top of the list after today. I doubt it will pass my Ruger22/45 Lite, but I'm feeling much better about my purchase. (And thanks for the suggestion to adjust the top bullet.)

Ideally you shouldn't have to adjust the top round every time, but maybe that will work itself out in time with more use of the magazines.

As an aside...the Federal Bulk was easily the most accurate (FOR ME). I was shooting a GSSF course with each brand (50 shots) and scored a 496 and 494 (out of 500) with the Federal. I had a 477 with the MagTech and 476 with the CCI. Maybe this gun likes hollow points?

With my Ruger Lite I have had several 500s so getting 496 and 494 with a new gun is fine with me.

boilergonzo, andy16, alank2 and 3 others like this.

3. fasteddie565

fasteddie565 Combat Diver

4. SARDG

SARDG Florida's Left Coast

I suppose you mean several 500 equivalents shooting the GSSF COF. Too bad you can't use a Ruger to score your 500 in GSSF.

5. andy16

andy16

yesterday was my third outing, firing 25 magazines again. i'm a pull-the-slide-back guy, not a slide release guy for the first round, so i can't comment on that. for the last 50 magazines (since discovering the nose up feed issue), i have had no failures to feed.

even better news is that i had one stovepipe yesterday as the only issue, shooting cheapy win m-22 and rem thunderbolt. it seems i'm more accurate with this gun than my G19 at the same distances.

my experience is that if one tips up the first round it will work close to flawlessly after 500 rounds.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    pstmstr likes this.
  6. MajorD

MajorD

Much like the S&W 15/22 which is sensitive to how the mags are loaded this may be the case with the 44 as well. Depressing the load assist tab loading a round releasing it,then depressing again just far enough to get the next round in is likely best. I have seen tons of 22’s malfunction when people pull the load assist buttons all the way down and dump 10 rounds into a magazine, cannot imagine a Glock would be different.
    Comparison to other guns is inevitable and while it is in a somewhat higher cost bracket, it probably falls in the bargain plinker/ combat trainer category like the various walthers and S&W m&p. Comparing it to guns a bit more target specific like the Ruger mark series is a bit apples to oranges imo

7. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

I normally have at least 7-10 mags for any pistol I own. I’m not saying I may not buy a Glock 44, as its on my “good price may buy” list. But I won’t be stocking up on mags anytime soon.

Even aside from the talk of possible higher capacity versions in the future, I’m already getting that “version-1” “version-2” etc.. mag vibe in this models future...

boilergonzo and SARDG like this.
  8. SARDG

Hmmm... "close to flawlessly" and "comparing to guns...more target specific...is apples to oranges" is really not acceptable to me since I like to consistently get through at least four strings of fire in Steel and GSSF.

I'll give it 500 rounds of breakin and re-evaluate, but in the meantime I see a lot of reshoots coming for folks in GSSF Rimfire division.

BTW, the manual also says to use the load-assist tabs to lower the follower just enough to insert one round at a time - which so far hasn't helped.

As I said in another post somewhere, it HAS been great so far for training clearance drills.

Ranger357 likes this.
  9. SARDG

Yes... I am seeing (at mimimum) a follower update for mags. I hope it is soon.

Ranger357 likes this.
  10. Ranger357

Ranger357 Just pixels

So much for the “three times the development time of other models”. Maybe should have took four times the development...

but heck Glock getting a pass on its first rimfire is as reasonable as people giving Colt a pass on the Python because they are brand new at revolver making... ;)

11. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

Then I said, ""WTF?...oh, I must be in General Glocking."

12. SARDG

Does that imply that of course aftermarket sights are okay?

13. CESwartz07

CESwartz07 Sheep Dog

Updated range report:

Added Slip2000 Extreme Weapons Lubricant to the slide rails, but still haven’t cleaned it

All mags were loaded normally, no effort to orient the top round nose up, etc, and all loading was done sending the slide forward by depressing the slide stop.

40rds of CCI Stinger 32g CPHP (1640fps)
    No issues

120rds of Remington Golden Bullet 36g PHP (1280fps)
    1 failure to extract, but case had ruptured, so ammo related.
    2 duds that fired on second try after rotating where the firing pin struck the rim. Likely ammo related

190rds of Federal Champion 36g CPHP (1260fps)
    2 duds that fired on second try after rotating where the firing pin struck the rim. Likely ammo related
    3 failures to lock back on an empty mag. Pretty sure it wasn’t my grip, and I think I have it isolated to one of my 5 mags, but it still works most of the time so IDK.

10rds of Remington subsonic 38gr LHP (1050fps)
    2 failures to extract/cycle
    1 failure to eject (stovepipe)
    And failure to lock back on empty

Must improved performance than the first trip out. And as expected, it was a hit with a new shooter (female). I’ll attribute the failures during my initial range trip to eject/stovepipes with the Remington Federal as lack of additional lubricant and “break-in”. While no other Glock has every required anything period to run right of of the box, I can accept a .22 being alittle more finicky.

I have yet to have a failure to feed like the OP, despite no effort to load the magazine in any particular way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I think it was more directed at people who think aftermarket sights might cause their pistols to malfunction.

15. pakettle

pakettle

Sling

16. SARDG

Read my post #39 in this thread, and look at pics. I was able to "turn on" major malfunctions (with certain ammo, that had functioned before), just by adding steel adjustable sights.

17. pakettle

pakettle

18. pakettle

pakettle

slide release is not used to chamber a round, use the slingshot method

19. CESwartz07

CESwartz07 Sheep Dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

20. SARDG

True... the slide stop is used to chamber a round, per the G44 User's Manual.

PM720 likes this.