Glock 44 failure to feed

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by RugerFan1911, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Pitmaster Will

Pitmaster Will

379 rounds in 2 trips with no failures to feed, eject or stovepipe. I load the mags and invert with the follower held down so the first round falls to the proper attitude. All 40 grain copper plated lead round nose.

PM720 and andy16 like this.
  2. RexP

RexP

I dug around looking for photos showing how rounds sit in the magazines - if this explanation is elsewhere I apologize for duplicating...

After experiencing a few of the "first round fail to feed" issues, I decided to get the camera out. It appears that "improper" stacking of the rounds -may-contribute to the problem. If they are stacked "alternating" then there is proper alignment of the first round. If not, the first round doesn't stand much of a chance of clearing the magazine.

Hopefully the photos are self-explanatory.

Carefully loaded, rounds sit "alternating".
    Fig_1a.jpg

Which puts the top round in proper position.
    Fig_1b.jpg

If the rounds aren't stacked in an alternating pattern,
    Fig_2a.jpg

then the top round is doomed.
    Fig_2b.jpg

andy16, fasteddie565, PM720 and 2 others like this.

3. SmithModelOne

SmithModelOne

With the ~400 rounds I put through my 44 today, I think my total round count is somewhere near 2,000.

I've been surprised and delighted at how accurate the 44 is. Yes, my S&W 41 is probably a shade more accurate, but that's also a gun at three times the price point. What the 44 has done for me is provide me with something that's cheap and extremely familiar, and as a training aid I've already tightened up (and sped up) my competition groupings. The rubber will hit the road in my next GSSF match, but I'm pretty sure it'll be good news for me.

I'm looking forward to getting a threaded barrel and a can for my 44, but it looks like I'm not the only one with that idea. The Glock website shows the threaded barrel as sold out, and I expect that it will remain so for some time.

As for reliability: I've had some FTE's and FTF's, but no more than I do with any of my semiautomatic .22 guns. In a few cases it was my own fault (getting sloppy and limp writing), and in some cases I could find no good reason. But I see that as an opportunity to practice my tap, rack, bang, so I try to make it into a positive. On today's run of 400 rounds, I had no more than four or five of these. I can easily live with that.

I'm going to take RexP's post above to heart, and I will double-check my magazines the next time I'm at the range to see if any of them stack oddly. This is good information to have.

Mike

1911junkee, PM720 and Pitmaster Will like this.
  4. Toocool45

Toocool45

I just shot 100 rounds out of mine today. 95 rounds at a target at 7 yards. 5 shots at a target at 25 yards. In 14 minutes. Not dumping rounds either. It was winchester super X 100 percent reliable too. Groups were good for being rushed. Its the first time mine has worked 100 percent in an outing. Im up to about 430 rounds. Most ammo was utter garbage. But it still shot most rounds. If my trigger was not so heavy id really be able to shoot it well. It is really accurate out of the box. Even with the heavy trigger. My sights are right on right out of the box. Ill leave those stock for now.

1911junkee likes this.
  5. Mudshark100

Mudshark100

I took my new G44 to the range today and followed your advise regarding turning the magazine upside down to properly set the first round. Shot 250 rounds of CCI Mini Mag (40 grain), Winchester Super X (37 grain), and a very old box of Winchester Super X (40 grain). Zero issues. First .22 caliber pistol that I have ever shot without one single hiccup. Great start.

andy16, fasteddie565, PM720 and 2 others like this.
  6. LinuxLover

LinuxLover Ba-nan-nah-nuh

I went to a sporting goods store today to see the G44 for myself.

The clerk said they were all recalled and are not in the store at the moment.

So I checked another store and the same - gone.

7. Toocool45

Toocool45

8. ak103k

ak103k

Sounds like someone is trying to start the next internet rumor. :)

SARDG, Tone Deaf and PM720 like this.
  9. HJB

HJB Banned

Going to the range tomorrow and I will see what they say there. They have had several Glock 44's

10. mgs

mgs Always Carrying Millennium Member

Load the magazine properly or insert loaded mag on closed slide and rack slide. The pistol will fix your error. Just an insight....have run my 44 plenty with no issues.

11. 1911junkee

1911junkee

My LGS just got one in 2 days ago, never said a word about a recall.

Mine is still running like a top at well over a thousand rounds.

PM720 likes this.
  12. bradleyepb

bradleyepb

I’m at 910 now with just a couple fte with cheap bulk ammo. Very happy with mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk