Glock 44 - 18 round mags

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by CMG, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

My experience is much less extensive than yours...

I'm in California, so I don't have any of the ProMag 18ers (yet).

I have eight of the OEM 10ers, and they all seem to work well.

So far, I don't mind loading mags using the loading tabs...

2. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

The big OEM load assist tabs are excellent! However, to significantly increase the capacity of the OEM magazines, you need to remove the load assist tabs. A "hood style" magazine loader works great with the OEM magazine (with the load assist tabs removed) ... not that I'm suggesting you cut-down your follower to increase the capacity of your OEM magazines. ;)

On the other hand, the ProMag magazine load assist tabs are rather small. This combined with the fact the ProMag magazine spring is STOUT can make it difficult to load 18 rounds (even with the load assist tabs). I haven't had much luck using a hood style magazine loader with the ProMag magazine. As I mentioned, there are 3D-printed magazine loaders specifically designed to work with the ProMag magazine (which leverage the load assist tabs). In my opinion, the ProMag magazine is rather particular in terms of how each round is loaded. I was looking for feedback in terms of others' experience with ProMag magazine loaders.

3. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

I wouldn't mess with the OEM mags, not because I'm worried about CA's stupid gun laws, but because I'll simply acquire some of the ProMags for when I want more than 10rnds in the gun...

I probably won't be able to acquire any of the ProMags until next summer, and if loading them is a problem, then I'll figure out a tool... Is it not possible to hack an OEM loading tool to fit a ProMag?

4. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

As I mentioned, I haven't had much luck using a hood style magazine loader with the ProMag magazine. I have a 3D-printed (Mr. 380 EZ Products) wrap-around style magazine loader (designed to leverage the ProMag magazine load assist tabs) that works relatively well.

With the ProMag magazine, the topmost rounds cant up. The middle rounds actually cant down. The bottommost rounds cant up. After three or four rounds, they fan out from single-stack to double-stack. It's an interesting "design" (?). Most people (including myself) are surprised with how well it works.

[​IMG]
    (Left: "Alex Alex" Glock 44 15-Round Magazines; Right: ProMag Magazines with 15 Rounds)

5. JN01

JN01

Rather than spending time and effort trying to jerry rig some kind of loader, you could go the easy route, spend $10 and buy something that is actually made for the ProMags.

6. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

You mean one of the 3d-printed loaders from eBay? Which one do you recommend?

If loading the ProMag is as tough as loading regular centerfire Glock mags, then a loading tool is going to be a must-have...

7. JN01

JN01

I got mine from mr380ezproducts.com, works great. Note that he sells two styles, one for oem mags and one for ProMags.

8. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Hood style or wrap-around?

9. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

10. RWT22

RWT22

Have any of you tried a Magula on the 18 rounders. I have one that came with a narrow metal blade instead of the normal wide blade that pushes down the bullet. It works well for loading my CZ Kadet magazine.

11. LOWBOY

LOWBOY

Pay attention young fellers...This method will cost nothing, try it. It works.

12. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

This works as long as the follower doesn't "bottom out".

If you look at post #44, the converted (to 15 rounds) OEM magazines on the left (with the load assist tabs removed), don't have any real estate below the (cut-down) follower for a screwdriver. However, a simple hood style magazine loader (even DIY) works well with this design.

I only load the ProMag magazines to 15 rounds, but even then the real estate below the follower is getting rather tight (again, refer to post #44). It sounds like you've verified this works with 18 rounds.

Personally, I wish ProMag would've stopped at 15 rounds. They could've preserved full-size load assist tabs (like with the OEM Glock 44 magazine) and they could've preserved a flush base plate (also like with the OEM Glock 44 magazine). My goal is a 15-round G44 magazine. I appreciate the fact others may want 18 (or 30) rounds.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  13. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

It's my understanding maglula doesn't offer a magazine loader that works with the G44, however, one is in the works. I assume this implies no support for a ProMag magazine since the form-factor is almost identical.

I'm not familiar with maglula magazine loaders. Would a maglula G44 or ProMag magazine loader leverage the load assist tabs? Or would it use a "post" (like the hood style magazine loaders) in order to depress the top-most round?

[​IMG]

14. RWT22

RWT22

The Magula pushes the bullet below from the front then you slide the bullet on top of it and then release the loader and the magazine spring pushes up the round and repeat until full. If I catch someone with a 44 mag and will try out mine and let you know if it works.

15. ken grant

ken grant

I tried my Magula and it does not push the follower down enough to insert a rd. over the loader lip .
    I forgot this thread was on the 18 rd. mags .
    I don't have any . I tried the loader on stock 44 mags.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  16. Grim Jeeper

Grim Jeeper

Has anyone experimented and tried swapping the guts between an OEM and ProMag if even possible?

17. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Texas-Mark was experimenting with the use of an OEM Glock 44 magazine spring, cutting down the ProMag spring and a Taylor Tactical Supply Walther replacement spring in order to increase capacity, improve reliability and ease loading of the ProMag magazine.

I can't imagine any of the ProMag magazine guts working in the OEM magazine. I have toyed with the prospect of modifying the ProMag follower to accept the larger OEM load assist tabs. Of course, this would likely reduce the capacity of the ProMag magazine to 15 rounds (which is what I'm after in the first place).

Grim Jeeper likes this.
  18. Grim Jeeper

Grim Jeeper

Any pics of the ProMag disassembled available?

19. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

[​IMG]

Grim Jeeper likes this.
  20. Grim Jeeper

Grim Jeeper

Thanks! Do the load assist buttons separate from the follower or is it a solid unit?