Glock 44 - 18 round mags

Discussion in 'Rimfire Forum' started by CMG, Aug 22, 2020.

1. RC22

RC22

Tested my new ProMag 18 round mags for my G44 today. Had no issues. The only problem is that they for me are very hard to load because of my old hands. I like the stock mags that came with it because they are easy on my hands. Got used to it and was very glad to have the for the range. I am glad I too the chance on these. Will test further when I have more time. Thank you guys for the thread and information.
    *My x2 ProMag 18 round magazines cycled without issue. Two mags each of the following.
    CCI MINI MAG 22LR CPHP 36gr. fps 1260
    Blazer 22LR 38gr. 1235fps. LRN
    Remington Golden Bullet 22LR 40gr. 1255fps. Plated RN

Doc Holliday, JiminKC and Out West like this.
  2. JiminKC

JiminKC

Doc Holliday and Out West like this.

3. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Left my two Promag loaded for a few days, and shot them today with some bulk winchester ammo. They ran perfectly with 18+1 rounds loaded. When you finish loading them the rounds look all crooked and wrong but then they shoot fine. Gun got very hot, but it was fun shooting it with 19 rounds.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  4. RC22

RC22

*Glad to hear this. My x2 ProMags have been working great. It is nice having the additional rounds at the range!! Interesting my G44 and ProMags work and cycle well with Winchester ammo. My other rimfires have many issues with Winchester. The Glock44 I have cycles all rimfire ammo with out any issues. I love that part of it for me it is a keeper!
    checkyoursix-> Have a great day and be safe!
    PEACE FAVOR YOUR SWORD!

Doc Holliday and checkyoursix like this.
  5. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

I wonder if you could put a +2 or +3 9mm baseplate on the G44 ProMag to get a few more .22LR in there?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

Sweet Baby Jesus, how can anyone get 18 rounds in these ProMags? Spring is WAY too strong.

JDubbs316 likes this.
  7. RC22

RC22

*I know what you mean!!!! I ended up using the mag tool that came with the G19 to help out. Mine loosened up a bit with use but not much. I love the Glock mags 10 rounders and they have larger buttons on them. ProMag could have made their buttons a little larger and it would have helped. One thing I can say is they have worked and cycle well for me when loaded. No problems with them working in the G44. My old hands do take a beating when loading them without the mag loader.

Doc Holliday likes this.
  8. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday CLM

My TX22 mag springs are much lower tension, I can easily hand load all 16 rounds no problem, which proves to me that such a strong spring isn't needed to correctly feed all those rounds. I'm SURE the mag spring for the ProMags is overkill. I'm looking for an easier spring to try and if I find one and it tests good I'll post in here.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  9. JDubbs316

JDubbs316

I ordered 2 ProMag 18 round magazines. Was able to test them last week. I loaded 15 rounds in one of them at home.

At the range, the magazine with 15 rds jammed (FTF). The round angled up too high. I loaded 12 at a time after that and had no issues. I was only able to shoot thru 150 rds though. Not sure how reliable these are yet. And they are hard to load beyond 13 rds. Like others here, I find it weird how the rds stack in the magazine. Hopefully glock comes up with a solution at some point. I'll continue testing the ProMags in the meantime.

10. CMG

CMG

I finally got to the range this morning.

Took both of my Glock 44s and four of the Promag 18rd magazines.

I only loaded 15 rounds in each mag, (at the end I did try one mag with 18 rounds and it performed like the rest.

I ran the pistols and magazines with CCI 40gr Mini Mags, Federal 36gr bulk, and Wichester 36gr bulk.

I did not have a single stoppage thru 180 rounds (4 mags, x3 ammo types, x15rds), but I do have sore fingers (those Promag springs are stout).

I mixed and matched the pistols/mags/ammo but each mag had one loading with each brand of ammo, and each pistol was used at least once with each of the four mags.

At $15 these mags are worth every penny.

It's a shame the mags don't work with the Advantage Arms conversions, but... c'est la vie. :D

11. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

What brand/type/weight of ammo were you using?

The reason I ask is that it seems that people are having problems with some 36Gr ammo while other 36Gr ammo works fine. I have found the 40Gr ammo works the best. I also try to stick with copper plated bullets. CCI AR Tactical, CCI Mini Mags, and Aquila Super Extra have all worked well with the ProMag mags for the majority of us.

12. JDubbs316

JDubbs316

I believe it was CCI Mini-Mag. I forget though if it was the 40 grain target or the 36 "varmint".

13. CBTENGR

CBTENGR

I have found that the ProMag's seem to prefer the bullet shape of the 40 grain bullets over the profile of the 36 grain bullets. There are exceptions to that but that is what I have noticed myself and also from hearing others that have had feeding issues.

agtman likes this.
  14. checkyoursix

checkyoursix

Update on my two Promag. I found them painful to load so
    I bought a small loader on EBay and after receiving it I have been shooting them quite a bit. They are actually running 100% and they seem to hold up well even though this is a short term comment on a long term question.

For now, I am enjoying them very much. Gun is running amazing too, I really like it a lot. Pure fun and it has a training value on some drills.

15. LOWBOY

LOWBOY

For a mag loader finger saver, try a small screw driver or even a nail. slide it under the follower through the spring and push down with 2 fingers. you can do this all day.

16. usnret

usnret

Mine work well, and except for being hard to load they are good to go.

17. JDubbs316

JDubbs316

Figure I'd give an update. Was at range today. Had the 2 ProMag 18's loaded with 15 rds (didn't bother with 18 too hard on the fingers). Went through 4 of them with no issues. I did make sure to load the CCI mini-mag 40 grains though.

Well worth the money

wickedbeernut likes this.
  18. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

There are 3D-printed magazine loaders specifically designed for use with the ProMag magazines. I've captured a few thoughts here ...

I'd welcome and encourage additional input in this regard.

checkyoursix likes this.
  19. Bimmer74

Bimmer74

Since you asked...

I think the short version for most of us (who don't want to go down the rabbithole, like you did), is that the OEM 10rnd mags work well, and the if you want more than 10rnds, then the 18rnd ProMags work well, too.

Loading tools: Cutting down a $5 OEM Glock loading tool seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  20. wickedbeernut

wickedbeernut

Agreed! The $13 ProMag magazines work well. I have 18 of them. However, personally, I think the converted "Alex Alex" 15-round OEM magazines are more reliable (although at almost twice the price).

I use a cut-down OEM Glock magazine loader with the converted "Alex Alex" 15-round OEM magazines, however, I haven't had much success using it with the ProMag magazines. Have you?