GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I was visiting my brother for a couple months this past winter in Orlando enjoying the weather which was so much better than up here in the Northwest where I live. We have a ball riding our Indian motorcycles and basically screwing around like two retired guys should do.

We decided it would be fun to attend one of the big Florida Gun Shows they hold at the fair grounds every month. I was searching for 1910/1914 Mauser Pocket Pistols (one of which I bought rare as they are). He was just looking at everything. He found a NIB G-43x. He doesn't really like Glocks that much, but I was telling him how I liked mine a lot. How reliable they were from the first time fired. He popped on the 43x. He tends to like the compacts and the 9mm. I'm a full size 1911 guy. It's what I shoot the best and what I think I should have at MY gun fight- God forbid it ever happens.

A few days later at the range, he had several fail to feed. Rounds hanging up on the feed ramp. I said, lets wipe it out and re-lube. Then lets try to get a full 2-300 rounds through it and see if it doesn't clear up. It kept failing to feed maybe 6-8 times per 50. It was American Eagle 115 grain round nose. He tried the spare mag. No different. Both of us shot it, and it still did it.

So my question;

Has anyone here purchased the 43X. And if so, have you broken it in yet and how did it go? I told him after the 300th round, that perhaps he should call Glock and make a reservation for warrantee service. Any ideas? I don't think any of my Glock pistols have ever malfunctioned with all stock parts. He's giving me that Festus Haggen evil eye now for recommending the Glock. Crap!
FH.jpg

·
JAFO
4,322 Posts
650 rounds through mine since March with zero issues. My son has 400 or so through his and it runs fine too.

·
Registered
750 Posts
No problems with my 48 but low round count. I too have a Mauser pocket pistol in .32 that's in great condition, Josef Nickl was a talented Austrian as it is a really cool design and seems to be striker fired as well.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I’m at about 250 rounds on my 43X. I’ve had it stove pipe on me twice but i don’t think it was the pistols fault. I’m sure it was my limp wristed shooting style. Lol.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have about 600 rounds through my 48 so far. Last Sunday I shot a 200 rounds of mixed ammo, brass, aluminum, and steel cased ammo along with some +P 124 grain JHP. Not one issue yet.

I have read a couple of posts about possible reliability issues with the 43x but not completely sure if the people left theirs stock. I have a 43x on layaway and am going back and forth about whether to switch it to a second 48 as opposed to the 43x. I guess I have another $200 to go before I decide.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I never heard of breaking in a Glock. Any Glocks I ever bought shot 100% out of the box. If I ever bought a Glock and had those issues I would deem it a lemon. I would send it to Glock.
Exactly. Been shooting them since 1995 and the only issue I ever had was with cheap WWB fading to extract/eject occasionally out of a Glock 36. Anything else has ran fine through all of them from the 43, 43X, 26, 19, 29, 30 and 36.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I never heard of breaking in a Glock. Any Glocks I ever bought shot 100% out of the box. If I ever bought a Glock and had those issues I would deem it a lemon. I would send it to Glock.
I have 4 Glocks and I have never had a problem with any of them in stock condition. That said, by break-in I mean test shooting it for 2-300 rounds to insure reliability before carrying it. I do that with every new handgun I purchase. Most hand gunners I know and have read from suggest a complete cleaning and break-in run of 300 rounds to detect these sorts of issues. In this case it's good advice because there is obviously an issue on this particular gun. Yes apparently even Glock makes a bad one now and then.

It sucks to have a brand new gun with a problem. Many years ago, I think 31 years ago when I didn't have near the disposable income I now enjoy, I scrimped and saved and then bought a beautiful new full sized Springfield Armory "Defender" .45 1911. My first 1911. I was stoked! Finally, I had a 1911. I'm still a 1911 guy owning several of them now. My daily carry is a 5" Ed Brown Special Forces. I still have the SA in pristine condition. It has the darkest most beautiful mirror blue job on it.

It failed to properly extract right out of the box. It went back to the factory several times and came back no better or even worse than when it left. It was costing me a fortune in UPS to keep sending it in. My anger was rising fast. I was on the phone to them over and over. I was really disappointed by it. It damaged it's magazines by dragging spent cases through the magazine lips bending them up and then preventing their removal from the gun. It smashed up the spent cases it did eject. It was terrible. Unusable, and the factory couldn't seem to fix it. They even got pissy with me on the phone once for talking a bit too stern to them. Apparently they didn't test fire it to see if their constant grinding on the extractor had been the fix. My patience had run out. I parked it in disgust.

Finally, a year or so later on a whim, I purchased a Wilson Combat extractor at a gun show I was attending. I installed it and wham... fixed. It's shot fine since. I still have the mutilated factory extractor they remodeled over and over to try to get it running. It took me years to consider a Springfield Armory again. I have since purchased an XD-S in .45 which has never malfunctioned in many hundreds of rounds, so I'm over it. I carry the XD-S when riding my motorcycle. It's compact and like a tank, you can't hurt it.

I just hope this 43X I talked my Bro into doesn't go that way. I know him. He'll never buy another Glock again if it does. I assume he's going to send it in for trouble shooting. I hope they get it running. He says he likes the size and the looks of it. He's taken with the compacts for some reason. To each his own.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
My issue has been the slide not locking back on the last round, but that is because my big fat thumb likes to ride the slide lock. When I pay attention and keep my thumb off it, locks back fine.
My 43X had failed to lock back recently. Every last round became an issue, slide stopped locking back on the last round. I had found that the mag springs had weakened just enough during first firings since new when i bought the gun and could not overcome the overly heavy slide stop lever spring. I yanked the factory slide stop lever spring out, put in a lighter spring, hasn`t malfunctioned since.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My issue has been the slide not locking back on the last round, but that is because my big fat thumb likes to ride the slide lock. When I pay attention and keep my thumb off it, locks back fine.
This is my experience with mine as well. I am nearing 1000 rounds through mine and only 2x has it failed to lock back on the last shot due to my hand/grip. I've run both 115 gr ball ammo and 124 gr Federal HSTs through it with not one issue otherwise.

·
Banned
6,833 Posts
My 43X had failed to lock back recently. Every last round became an issue, slide stopped locking back on the last round. I had found that the mag springs had weakened just enough during first firings since new when i bought the gun and could not overcome the overly heavy slide stop lever spring. I yanked the factory slide stop lever spring out, put in a lighter spring, hasn`t malfunctioned since.
Did you not report finding that your G43X SSL spring had a failed polymer insert that made the spring very hard to compress? That identified a real part failure and eliminated any mystery or uncertainty about the cause.

That would be worth checking immediately on the OP's G43X SSL. The G43X/G48 SSL is a different and stiffer part than the G43 SSL. Perhaps there is a generic problem with the new SSL spring's polymer insert.

Check that the G43X SSL is OK. With slide assembly removed from frame:
1. Insert an empty magazine. The SSL should freely rotate up when the magazine's follower contacts it.
2. Without a magazine, the SSL should freely rotate when manually moved upward.

If the SSL is OK, consider the following.

Unless the shooter is inadvertently hitting the SSL during recoil, a recoil-operated auto-pistol's slide failing to stop open on an empty magazine is almost always due to inadequate slide recoil velocity relative to the frame. That can result from ammo with too low a power factor, but it is also more frequently the result of too infirm of hold of a low mass/inertia frame pistol (like the G43X) made lower in mass by ammo exhaustion. Additionally, the slide must recoil further to allow the empty magazine's follower to push up the SSL than it takes to just strip a round from the magazine. That makes the slide stopping open on an empty magazine the most severe test of the shooter's proper firm hold on the frame grip during recoil AND adequate bullet momentum (power factor=bullet mass x velocity).

1. Consciously use a firmer hold on the frame,
and
2. Get some ammo with bullet mass times muzzle velocity (PF) greater than what has been used.

The above are very real and very common causes of the reported malfunction in PERFECTLY functional recoil-operated pistols. Sending it back to Glock one hundred times will not produce a resolution if these are the cause.

·
Registered
11,964 Posts
Did you not report finding that your G43X SSL spring had a failed polymer insert that made the spring very hard to compress? That identified a real part failure and eliminated any mystery or uncertainty about the cause.

That would be worth checking immediately on the OP's G43X SSL. The G43X/G48 SSL is a different and stiffer part than the G43 SSL. Perhaps there is a generic problem with the new SSL spring's polymer insert.

Check that the G43X SSL is OK. With slide assembly removed from frame:
1. Insert an empty magazine. The SSL should freely rotate up when the magazine's follower contacts it.
2. Without a magazine, the SSL should freely rotate when manually moved upward.

If the SSL is OK, consider the following.

Unless the shooter is inadvertently hitting the SSL during recoil, a recoil-operated auto-pistol's slide failing to stop open on an empty magazine is almost always due to inadequate slide recoil velocity relative to the frame. That can result from ammo with too low a power factor, but it is also more frequently the result of too infirm of hold of a low mass/inertia frame pistol (like the G43X) made lower in mass by ammo exhaustion. Additionally, the slide must recoil further to allow the empty magazine's follower to push up the SSL than it takes to just strip a round from the magazine. That makes the slide stopping open on an empty magazine the most severe test of the shooter's proper firm hold on the frame grip during recoil AND adequate bullet momentum (power factor=bullet mass x velocity).

1. Consciously use a firmer hold on the frame,
and
2. Get some ammo with bullet mass times muzzle velocity (PF) greater than what has been used.

The above are very real and very common causes of the reported malfunction in PERFECTLY functional recoil-operated pistols. Sending it back to Glock one hundred times will not produce a resolution if these are the cause.
Yup its been reported & data has been logged. There was more to it than just the plastic breaking.

And the plastic insert is only to keep the spring in line (not collapsing, or popping out) due to how extreme of a spring pressure it has and what its designed to do, nothing more. Once i put a little bit lighter spring in, hasnt had an issue since. 500 rounds says so... so far so good. I`m NOT going to put that heavy spring back in the gun either. It has fired far more rounds without issue, than it had from when the problems began.

I apologize that i didnt mention the broken plastic insert in the inside of the spring in my earlier post. Wasnt sure about adding that issue because of all the backflash it would have created. We all know how the nay sayers are in here when someone steps out on the ordinary and does work to their own guns. The glock god`s will condemn those who dare not do what the almighty glock lords put forth.
;)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
I'm at 500 rounds on mine with absolutely no issues..none...

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Another ~200 rds. through my G48 today. Everything worked like it supposed to - other than the shooter. :D Seriously, ran great Win Nato and 124 HST - bang - bang! My EDC. Great pistol.
IMHO. May try some OEM night sights? Otherwise very good shooter. I'm now north of 700 rds.

·
Registered
360 Posts
T
I have about 600 rounds through my 48 so far. Last Sunday I shot a 200 rounds of mixed ammo, brass, aluminum, and steel cased ammo along with some +P 124 grain JHP. Not one issue yet.

I have read a couple of posts about possible reliability issues with the 43x but not completely sure if the people left theirs stock. I have a 43x on layaway and am going back and forth about whether to switch it to a second 48 as opposed to the 43x. I guess I have another $200 to go before I decide.
the 43X and 48 are the same, just different barrel lengths, my 43X has been 100% from the get go, just as all my Glocks have been..

Reactions: geo46
1 - 20 of 53 Posts