Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Fear Dli
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other left handers having problems unintentionally releasing the magazine?
I picked up a 43X and bought the Shield S15 mags and their mag release.
During dry-fire practice draws, I've popped out the magazine when I didn't want to.
Wondering if any others, who shoot with the proper hand, have experienced this.

·
Premium Member
6,331 Posts
I’m a lefty. I use oversized mag releases on the left side of the grip on Glocks. I never swapped releases to the opposite side of any of my handguns. -Never has been an issue for me. I guess I just got used to it.

Now, getting ejected long gun brass in the face and down my shirt is another issue completely.

·
Fear Dli
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m a lefty. I use oversized mag releases on the left side of the grip on Glocks. I never swapped releases to the opposite side of any of my handguns. -Never has been an issue for me. I guess I just got used to it.

Now, getting ejected long gun brass in the face and down my shirt is another issue completely.
I"ve been carrying Glocks for over 20 years without an issue. I've put over 500rds with the 43X/S15 mags...no issues. But twice now, I'm carrying appendix and I reach down and find the magazine isn't seated. Shield Arms mag release might stick up a tad too much for us southpaws.
And yeah....20+ Army....I've still got the burn scars from 5.56 brass getting stuck in my steel pot/Kevlar strap, next to my skin.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Always had that issue with Glocks. Not so much while shooting or manipulating but often when sitting, leaning, getting in out of cars, ect.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I am a lefty and haven't had that issue with my G48 and I don't switch my mag release to the other side. But, I am don't using SA's mags or release. Didn't someone say that they thought the SA mag releases were slightly longer, (Canyonman? maybe in another thread). Apologies to him, if I am remembering incorrectly.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I’ve been following this closely, and had the problem myself.
There is a rare issue of the shield arms magazine release dropping the S 15 magazines prematurely. I’ve actually never had one come completely out, and mine do drop totally free when they’re empty like they’re supposed to. Otherwise they work flawlessly but I have had four magazine release incidents in about 400 draws. It matters not if you’re right or left-handed. I am right handed.

Shield Arms is currently working on a redesign of the magazine release. I have an email from Brandon confirming that. He is going to send me the redesign release when it is ready. You may want to contact them as well. I’m also hoping that their new mag release is not extended. I seem to have one that was extended.

If I might suggest some thing… I used the metal mag release to do all my Live fire testing for the first several hundred rounds with all my magazines to make sure everything worked fine. As I said the magazine coming out was rare. Actually during live fire training it only happened once. The other three incidences happened when I was doing drawing practice without life fire. I do a lot of that with my lasers.

Now I have switched back to my factory polymer mag release. It hasn’t let me down yet. ( though I must admit that currently I went back to my 26 with a G 19 mag) I’ve also seen on YouTube from several sources you can run several hundred rounds through the stock mag release before it gives you trouble. I am myself and absolutely sure that 200 rounds is very safe. Since I’ve done my testing, I actually haven’t fired it once with the factory release so I’ve got several rounds to go before I need to worry. I just carried it for a while and did lots of draw practice and never had a failure. In the mean time I wait for the redesign.

·
Fear Dli
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve been following this closely, and had the problem myself.
There is a rare issue of the shield arms magazine release dropping the S 15 magazines prematurely. I’ve actually never had one come completely out, and mine do drop totally free when they’re empty like they’re supposed to. Otherwise they work flawlessly but I have had four magazine release incidents in about 400 draws. It matters not if you’re right or left-handed. I am right handed.

Shield Arms is currently working on a redesign of the magazine release. I have an email from Brandon confirming that. He is going to send me the redesign release when it is ready. You may want to contact them as well. I’m also hoping that their new mag release is not extended. I seem to have one that was extended.

If I might suggest some thing… I used the metal mag release to do all my Live fire testing for the first several hundred rounds with all my magazines to make sure everything worked fine. As I said the magazine coming out was rare. Actually during live fire training it only happened once. The other three incidences happened when I was doing drawing practice without life fire. I do a lot of that with my lasers.

Now I have switched back to my factory polymer mag release. It hasn’t let me down yet. ( though I must admit that currently I went back to my 26 with a G 19 mag) I’ve also seen on YouTube from several sources you can run several hundred rounds through the stock mag release before it gives you trouble. I am myself and absolutely sure that 200 rounds is very safe. Since I’ve done my testing, I actually haven’t fired it once with the factory release so I’ve got several rounds to go before I need to worry. I just carried it for a while and did lots of draw practice and never had a failure. In the mean time I wait for the redesign.
Thank you for this info. My issue is that once in a while, the my middle finger will slide against the mag release, and like you said, it doesn't drop it out completely, just enough so it won't feed a second round. I've carried a 43 since they came out and don't recall this happening.
Still, these magazines are great with the 43X. I'll just have to adapt.

·
Fear Dli
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And I noticed you don’t have to push their mag release very far at all before it releases. About half the distance of a Glock.
Dr_fast, I believe you just hit the nail on the head. It's not a big difference, but it seems to be enough. Thank you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any other left handers having problems unintentionally releasing the magazine?
I picked up a 43X and bought the Shield S15 mags and their mag release.
During dry-fire practice draws, I've popped out the magazine when I didn't want to.
Wondering if any others, who shoot with the proper hand, have experienced this.
Hello all I’m a left hander my G45 Gen5 9mm I changed my mag release to left side.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I"ve been carrying Glocks for over 20 years without an issue. I've put over 500rds with the 43X/S15 mags...no issues. But twice now, I'm carrying appendix and I reach down and find the magazine isn't seated. Shield Arms mag release might stick up a tad too much for us southpaws.
And yeah....20+ Army....I've still got the burn scars from 5.56 brass getting stuck in my steel pot/Kevlar strap, next to my skin. I winced after reading this it reminded me of the SAW dumping a handful of brass down the back of my neck.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I hadn't thought about ambidexterity of the magazine itself and just realized that you can't flip the mag release to the right side of the 43x and expect it to work with the S15 mags. At least I don't think so now. There isn't an indent on both sides of the mag like there is with the Glock mags.

Please correct me if I have it wrong. My friend is a lefty and has a 43x and s15's on the way. That could be a bummer. But if you're a lefty and you're stuck, perhaps you might want to try a Hogue sleeve. Depending on your grip your 43x it might just change how your trigger finger comes across into the trigger guard and prevent inadvertant mag releases. I like the sleeve because it helps me get more support palm on the handle and more traction. I dunno. Just a thought.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I am left handed and have a 43X and it is stock because of the problem you are having with the shield arms mag release.
I want to make sure I fully understand what you are saying. I have to assume you meant was that you only have OEM mags so that you are able to use ambi feature of the stock mag release so you can flip it to the right side and use it as a right handed person would with the release on the left side. One can interpret "stock" as as the 43x comes with the mag release on the left side and you just left it on the right side- but not likely. So I have to assume you don't own S15 mags because of the lack of ambidexterity, right?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Just a thought...
You could put the release in a vise to control the amount of material removed and make the release less prominent. That works for some.

·
Fear Dli
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I bought their steel mag release and haven't had the problem since. As far as reversing the mag release.....I've been shooting for 40 + years. I bought that left-hand Charter Arms revolver a couple of years ago. I couldn't get use to it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts