Glock Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Banned
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those who have both the G 43 & G 26 a couple of question:

1. How would you describe the recoil differences?

2. Carrying - is the 43 a pocket gun or just an easier to conceal and lighter waist gun?

The weight is interesting - loaded the 26 is 4 ounces heavier but you get 4 more bullets. Or another way of looking at it is that you could load the 26 with 4 less bullets and it would weight the same as the 43.

• UNLOADED:
    509 g / 17.95 oz.
  • LOADED:634 g / 22.36 oz.
  • UNLOADED:
    615 g / 21.71 oz.
  • LOADED:
    740 g / 26.12 oz.

· Registered
322 Posts
I have shot both.. and honestly when i first held the 43.. i was quite unimpressed. its slide while not wider was just taller and reminds me of the shield/xds slides, i took it and put it next to my 26, and again.. just a tiny bit of difference that i would rather carry the 26.. it was thin but the grip front to back length reminded me of the glock 36 thinness. i thought to myself this is just a slimmed down 26.

i held the 42 an hour after that , and it felt like a completely different gun compared to the 43. the 42 felt like a pocket gun. Which i will be buying soon .

Shooting. shooting both with target loads was not hard at all . The difference came when i started using federal HST 124gr +P between the two.. the 43 shooting SD ammo is like shooting an xds 45, plenty of recoil without the caliber.. the 26 on the other hand is very easy to shoot even with SD ammo. i could put those rounds quick on target without the muzzle rise encountered by the 43.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Didn't shoot them side-by-side, but I know that the wider grip of the G26 provides more area to grip and help spread out the recoil force. That being said, I shot my G43 with every type of ammo I'd want to shoot from it: my 124 gr. target loads, some 115 gr. Wally World Federal Champion specials, and some 124 gr. Gold Dot. All of the loads were very manageable with the new model.

I shoot/carry many different models and brands, so I do practice a lot with all of those guns. My favorite for 99% of the time is a Glock subcompact, whether it is a G30 (Glock classifies it as a subcompact, even though it is roughly the same size as a G19...) a G33, or a G42. All of them shoot differently, so I have to work with all of them to ensure I can remain competent using whatever I happen to be carrying.

I've carried G43 in a pocket, but the heavier weight lends itself better to IWB for me. Remora and Comp-Tac are my favorites.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
Recoil - I find the 43 to have slightly more then the 26 but, easily manageable. I put on Talon rubber grips to build the grip a bit and feel it made a definite difference in grip stability. The 43 is a little bit snappy but again, easily manageable to bring back on target after first shot.

Pocket - Although not as small as some other pocket 9's, you can carry it there with larger pockets. For me, the 43 is more ideal for summer carry in a IWB.

· GORILLA BROTHER
213 Posts
I cant tell much of a differance between shooting the two. Maybe slightly more felt recoil. The 43 carries alot better for me iwb. Its pocketable with the right pockets. I just like the thinness of it compared to the 26. The 26 is one of my top 2 favorites. Its hard to beat the 26. The 43 is a good summer gun for me.

615 Posts
These comparisons really aren't fair or accurate, because some of us shoot all the time and are more proficient with any and all handguns. I have shot my 26 and 43 side by side and am accurate and potentially lethal with both, and at the same time, I shot my sub compact 1911 in 45 acp that weighs only a couple ounces more than the 26. I shoot the 1911 at least as well as any Glock I own.

For me, if I'm going to carry a handgun as thick as a 26, I'll carry my STI Shadow 45 acp and not a 9mm, but after "breaking in" my 43, it is my first choice as an IWB concealed carry handgun.

· Registered
I buy and use guns for self protection only.
1,999 Posts
Recoil is a little snappy in the 43 but it carries significantly easier than the 26.

I wouldn't describe the 43 as a pocket gun per se, but it can definitely be pocket carried in clothes that have pockets on the larger side.
I would, IMO not say it is NOT SIGNIFICANTLY easier to carry than the 26. I carry my 26 in a front pocket holster with ease. A few ounces heavier is to me no problem and as far as the thickness, even with my small hands, this also never bothered me. A bit heavier and somewhat thicker grip makes it shoot like a dream and of corse the 10 or 12 round mag is a big advantage for a small gun. The 26 is my favorite 9mm Glock and most versatile!

· Banned
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
To me the Glock 43 has much more recoil than the Glock 26.

Glock 42 for pocket carry, no so much for the Glock 43.
Aside from the carry issue, this is important to me. I think under stress recoil, follow up shots and accuracy are important.

Yes, if a 43 is easier to carry BUT, under stress, the recoil causes you to miss the target on the second shot, it isn't worth it.

· Registered
656 Posts
Why give up the extra ammo - and why buy something that will not take a 19 and/or 17 mag - that's one of the great features of the 26 - 10+1 in a small size that fits fine in my pocket and will take 15 or 17 +1 and have a full grip if you use a mag sleeve

· Registered
656 Posts
Why give up the extra ammo - and why buy something that will not take a 19 and/or 17 mag - that's one of the great features of the 26 - 10+1 in a small size that fits fine in my pocket and will take 15 or 17 +1 and have a full grip if you use a mag sleeve

· The Old Bull
208 Posts
I have carried Glocks as a police officer since the very early 90's, mostly a G23. Years later I was also issued a G27. I never liked the feel of it and it stayed in the desk drawer. Now as an old retired guy I was carrying a shield 9mm mostly. I also work in a gun shop now, and I use the term "work" very loosely. I have shot about everything but still don't like the feel of the 26/27 frame. In walks the 43 which I shot. A lot. I am more accurate with it than the shield as to me recoil impulse is lower and trigger is better. I also have a Kahr CM9. Accuracy is great but recoil is pretty peppy. The 43 carries great no matter the location. Yes, round count sucks, but it's my understanding from our distributors Pierce Grips will be rectifying that very soon. I really like the gun, especially for summer carry when sporting my Sig P320 isn't practical.

· Registered
4,405 Posts
A follow-up thought for your consideration. Were not for the fact that I already had two G26's (my favorite Glock!) and I was looking for a sub-compact for my primary and only EDC, I would not have selected the G43. Capacity, ability to use large capacity mags (including the 33 rd'er) and shootability, the G26 wins hands down.

Reactions: 007_Bond

· Registered
619 Posts
I own both the 42 and the 27. Don't see a need for the 43. Maybe if it was the size of the 42 or at least smaller than the 27. It's basically just a thinner lighter 26 with less capacity. For me I carry the 27 just fine so no need to go thinner and lighter. When I really need to go thinner I have a 42 and an LCP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.