Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a 40 something year old rookie to firearms, and this website. This is only my 2nd post. Ok, Today was my 2nd visit to the range with my new 43. My first visit broke in the pistol flawlessly with 200 rounds of Fed Prem 115gr fmj. My internet research suggests that after just 200 rounds, you don't really have to clean a Glock. So, I didn't. Today, I used the same rounds and I had a very interesting malfunction that happened frequently. I put the magazine in, pulled back on the slide, and the bullet didn't raise up far enough to be chambered. So, I pulled back on the slide again, the round ejected, and the following round finally chambered.

I'm a little discouraged by this. I literally spent months of research before making a decision of what to buy, and of what caliber. Being a novice, and not knowing much about firearms, I had an authentic open mind as to which brand would get my business. I chose Glock, because of their "RELIABILITY" and simplicity.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to your help, Thank you!

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
You say the first round didn't chamber, but when you pulled the slide back, a round was ejected? Can you clarify what happened?

First thing to check is, was the magazine seated all the way? Sometimes inserting a full magazine on a closed slide can be difficult, especially on a new magazine. Make sure to push the bottom of the mag until it clicks into place.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say the first round didn't chamber, but when you pulled the slide back, a round was ejected? Can you clarify what happened?

First thing to check is, was the magazine seated all the way? Sometimes inserting a full magazine on a closed slide can be difficult, especially on a new magazine. Make sure to push the bottom of the mag until it clicks into place.
I'll try to clarify.... I fully seated the magazine on a closed slide. I pulled the slide back. The first round fell just short of chambering. Then, I pulled the slide back again. At that point, the round ejected, and the 2nd round chambered. Also, I had to release the magazine, and clear the round. That also happened- I forgot about that one. Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, pull and release the slide forcefully. Dont baby it

Or, load it with the slide locked open using the slide stop lever to chamber the round
I suppose babying it is a possibility. Afterall, I am a complete novice, and what I perceive as not babying it, I could have been. I'll try that at my next visit. I remember the dude selling me the gun even told me not to baby it- it's not gonna break. I hope that's all it is. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Lock the slide open without a magazine in the weapon. Insert a magazine and release the slide to load the weapon. You can sling shot the slide or use the slide stop lever to release the slide. Try that and see how it works.

·
Banned
5,192 Posts
If you were riding the slide forward or easing it forward to chamber the first round, that may be your problem, especially with a longer bullet.

"Slingshot" the slide by holding the grip securely with your shooting hand (finger off the trigger), and use your support hand to pull the slide all the way back and let it go. The slide should drop home and chamber the first round without difficulty.

·
Registered
449 Posts
When racking the gun...Pull the slide completely back until it can't go back any further, then let go.. Do not guide the slide back, your hand shouldnt be on it at all, once you let it go.

·
NRA Life Member
69,771 Posts
I'm a little discouraged by this. I literally spent months of research before making a decision of what to buy, and of what caliber. Being a novice, and not knowing much about firearms, I had an authentic open mind as to which brand would get my business. I chose Glock, because of their "RELIABILITY" and simplicity.

Sorry for the long winded post. I look forward to your help, Thank you!
Keep in mind that when a gun doesn't work (especially a Glock, in my experience) it is most often through some fault of the person holding it - "the nut behind the trigger" as they say.

Reactions: AB_43

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think Bren just accused you of limp wristing.:supergrin:

·
Registered
18,793 Posts

I agree. On some G43's (mine does this), when you insert the magazine, the head of the round on top (the part farthest away from the bullet) presses on the ejector. This can cause it to be difficult to fully seat the magazine. This coupled with a less than full snap of the slide closing can cause a misfeed. A less than immaculately clean gun can exacerbate a less than smooth feed.

All and all, probably the simplest advice above that should solve your issues is to make sure you really give a rap with the palm of your hand to the bottom of the magazine when loading it into the gun to make sure the magazine is fully seated (fully snapped into place). Also either, lock the slide back before loading the magazine into the gun and drop the slide using the slide stop lever or after loading the magazine into the gun, pull the slide all the way back and let go completely (don't hold onto the slide at all as it moves forward loading the round), making sure the forward motion of the slide completes with a snappy motion.

·
Registered
59,811 Posts
I am hoping to read here in a few days or week or two that the problem seems to have cleared up perhaps by letting go of the slide as it cycles itself or by locking it back before inserting the magazine and then using one of the two methods mentioned.

I would probably also go ahead and clean the gun leaving any of the copper colored residue in place and then lubricating it per the instructions in the manual. As good as internet information is, I tend to lean a bit toward the information in the manual that Glock or another manufacturer provides with the gun as they seem to be pretty familiar with the guns they make and potential problems and ways to avoid them.

Reactions: MNBud

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Especially on a compact handgun, it is necessary to firmly grip the pistol as the slide is released or racked. Limp wristing allows too much of the slide's energy to be imparted to the rest of the pistol... with insufficient inertia left to chamber a round fully. Kahrs are really susceptible to limp wristing and small Glocks can suffer, too, from too much of the slide's energy being lost to the pistol and moving it.

·
USAF Vet
7 Posts
I suggest clean the 43 after every range outing. Dirty powder residue will cause the slide to run slower and the chamber to clog up. I would never carry a gun that has not been cleaned since the last time shot.

·
Veteran
983 Posts
you need to LITERALLY sling shot that slide, grab the slide near/ at under the rear sight and use a push pull motion (regardless if your a lefty or a righty)
push the gun forward with your shooting hand and pull the slide re ward with your non shooting hand the same dam motion as a sling shot.

Reactions: copabeat
1 - 18 of 18 Posts