Glock Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up a new 43 to replace my ancient Keltec P11 for deep concealment. It's hard to believe I put up with that long heavy trigger for over 20 years, but onto better things and the Keltec can now rest in the bottom of the safe. The most amazing thing about the 43 is that it truly captures the essence of what a Glock is, but at what seems like half scale compared to my G17. Reliability has been 100% after several hundred rounds as expected, and the biggest surprise by far is the accuracy. My Glocks have never been my most accurate pistols, (I know most of that is my brain despite my best efforts), but I still managed a 25 yard group right at 4", just barely bigger than my better Gen 5 G17 groupings. This is the most accurate subcompact I've ever shot at 25 yards.

My lone issue is that with my fat fingers, my pinky is just barely on the mag extension, so that when the gun is fired it slips off leaving me with a two finger grip. This makes for an awkward recovery / readjustment after every shot. At closer ranges it's not as big of a deal but at range it really hurts. Yes it's a CCW gun but I always enjoy shooting at longer distances, for entertainment. I've had a few people recommend Vickers +2 extensions so I ordered them and will give them a try, but I wanted to see if anyone here has installed and put several hundred rounds through them and can share their experiences. While I own handguns from different manufacturers, I prefer Glock reliability for carry, and don't want to do anything to screw with that. I like this gun so much that if I just had another half inch of grip I could seriously carry it as an open carry / main pistol.

Another question, the store I purchased from last week claimed this was a Gen 5 pistol, but I've also been told that it's actually a Gen 4 gun. What is the truth?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great answers to my questions, and thanks all, I can tell I'm going to enjoy the company in this forum.

I do understand the MagGuts to be a bit more compact, but in my case I'm actually wanting the additional grip space of the Vickers, even more than the additional capacity, for pinky purchase. Very glad to hear the great reviews on the product, and on the 43.

I couldn't imagine a better subcompact handgun for serious business. The reason I tolerated that gargantuan trigger pull on the P11 for many years was that it has something I've rarely found in tiny pistols...100% reliability (except for 12 round mags which are garbage). Now I'm going to have to look into those trigger options lol, but I can already tell the 43 is going to be my BFF as far as CCW goes.

I used to have a 5906 and it's like the M1 Abrams tank of 9 mm pistols. Me and a buddy used to load up handloads so hot case heads would separate and the sides of the cases would split (we liked pushing the envelope on 9mm back then) and it would chew up rounds and spit them out like they were nothing, I think the only mod was a Wolff recoil spring. It was totally reliable, but I always preferred my P226 back then due to weight...until I got my first Glock back in '97, a G20 (range toy), which eventually won me over to the platform. Since then I've always considered the G17 as the essence of what a full sized 9mm pistol should be. I'm now thinking the 43 may be the essence of what a deep cover 9mm should be. I realize many prefer the 26, 19, 43X etc. for general CCW but the single stack and short stature of the 43 puts it in a unique category.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the Vickers +2 installed and they are perfect! I now have a proper home for my pinky finger. I could truly carry this as a primary pistol now if I wanted to, and the extension has zero impact on concealment for me. Just in love with this little gun, never really felt like this about a subcompact before, nothing else measures up IMO.

*Had to add that I got a good laugh out of the big bold warning on the back of package that the extension must be installed by a professional gunsmith only. I guess that's because of all the folks doing wild things to get a Glock mag disassembled (vice grips, grinding, hammering, shaving, etc.)....so easy to do if you know the technique.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great information in this thread! When I think of Gen 5, the trigger is the main thing for me, so very interesting that this is more of Gen 5 in that regard. I can see it's somewhat of the odd man out in the lineup though. I too think in a sense this is the pinnacle of Glockness, all that goodness distilled into the smallest possible professional-grade package. When I consider a gun's functional reliability I won't count malfunctions against it if the gun has been modified, including non-OEM mag mods or even when using non-OEM mags. So whenever I play with non-OEM extensions I have to do a lot of testing to feel confident that I have 100% reliability, and I'm sure most here do the same.

Last night I was watching the entire unedited video of the New Mexico police shooting where a really bad cartel guy executed a young highway patrol guy with an AR 15 during a traffic stop, and then led other officers on a high speed chase that ended in an incredibly intense (though short) gun battle. After PIT'ing the guy's truck, a Las Cruces cop took a 556 round himself and fell, nearly dying before standing back up to mag dump on the bad guy with his mid-sized Glock loaded with full size mags (odd?), and then quickly reloaded to prepare for more potential shots that thankfully weren't needed. It's pretty easy to see why a cop needs all the capacity he can get with a full size Glock, but for the average non-LEO 9 rounds in a 43 would probably serve 99.9% of real world situations, and an extra mag should provide any additional required comfort. I might wear this pistol OWB instead of my G17 now and then just because lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts