Glock Talk banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally picked up a new 43 to replace my ancient Keltec P11 for deep concealment. It's hard to believe I put up with that long heavy trigger for over 20 years, but onto better things and the Keltec can now rest in the bottom of the safe. The most amazing thing about the 43 is that it truly captures the essence of what a Glock is, but at what seems like half scale compared to my G17. Reliability has been 100% after several hundred rounds as expected, and the biggest surprise by far is the accuracy. My Glocks have never been my most accurate pistols, (I know most of that is my brain despite my best efforts), but I still managed a 25 yard group right at 4", just barely bigger than my better Gen 5 G17 groupings. This is the most accurate subcompact I've ever shot at 25 yards.

My lone issue is that with my fat fingers, my pinky is just barely on the mag extension, so that when the gun is fired it slips off leaving me with a two finger grip. This makes for an awkward recovery / readjustment after every shot. At closer ranges it's not as big of a deal but at range it really hurts. Yes it's a CCW gun but I always enjoy shooting at longer distances, for entertainment. I've had a few people recommend Vickers +2 extensions so I ordered them and will give them a try, but I wanted to see if anyone here has installed and put several hundred rounds through them and can share their experiences. While I own handguns from different manufacturers, I prefer Glock reliability for carry, and don't want to do anything to screw with that. I like this gun so much that if I just had another half inch of grip I could seriously carry it as an open carry / main pistol.

Another question, the store I purchased from last week claimed this was a Gen 5 pistol, but I've also been told that it's actually a Gen 4 gun. What is the truth?

·
G43 Fanboy
3,018 Posts
Welcome to GT and welcome to the G43 Fanboys Club!:LOL:
I have Vickers+2 on a couple of my “02” mags, but have only shot about 50 rounds of 124gr HST +P with those mags (because I mostly use MagGuts+1 and MagGuts+2 for my G43s). So far, I have not experienced any reliability issue with Vickers+2, though.

I also use Vickers+2 for my G42 on a couple of spare mags. I have tested at least two hundred rounds of JHP ammo with those mags, and have not experienced any issue whatsoever. I think Vickers+2 for G42 and G43 both have pretty good track records, we usually see positive reviews about them.

The 43 and other Slim Line models are neither Gen 4 nor Gen 5, but they are sort of their own generation between Gen 4 and Gen 5. Though some vendors put them in the “Gen 4” category, I think they have most of the features of Gen 5, except the ambi slide stop/release lever and the notorious black surface coating that wears off after firing the very first round. So, they are probably closer to Gen 5 than Gen 4…

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree with the Glock 43 fanboys club statement. I truly enjoy mine as an EDC. I like to shoot it and it doesn't beat me up the way my Shield9 2.0 used to. It is light enough that I can get around in sweatpants and not worry that the weight is going to be an issue and it is more than enough gun for me. I would carry it as my duty gun if it were authorized but currently that job falls to my G27 because of policies and SOP. Thanks to Streamlight I have a TLR-6 attached to it and swapped out the front sight for a fiber-optic one. I have upgraded both of my factory mags with the Vickers +2. I also have a flush fit (6 round) 2A mag and an ETS 12 round mag. I have had zero issues with any of these.

As to the P-11, it becomes a much better gun when you put the M*Carbo kit and a wider (I went with a Northwood) trigger kit into it. I could never do that when I carried one in the late 90's - early '00's because I didn't know about the Northwood trigger until I had already transitioned to a .357 mag snubby for plain-clothed carry, and M*Carbo didn't release their kit until after I retired it to safe duty when I became a drinker of the Glock Kool-Aid.

I do have fond memories of carrying my P-11 as a back-up to my issued Smith 5906 or as my off-duty EDC. If you haven't gotten rid of your P-11 and just want to make it a better range/back-up gun; the M*Carbo kit works wonders and I think you can still find either a Northwood or Galloway Precision trigger kit out there. Also Twisted Industries makes (or made) a .22lr conversion kit for the P-11.

·
G43 Fanboy
3,018 Posts
Before I bought my first ever Glock (i.e., Gen Glock 19) years ago, my very first CCW was a S&W 5906. When I found a Kel-Tec P-11 at a local gun show, I bought it to go with my 5906. It served me as my summer CCW for a while, but boy! Did I hate the looong and heavy trigger!:LOL: So, I had replaced P-11 with a S&W 3913.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Kel-Tec P-11 was as small as or could be even smaller than the SIG P365. But I would take choose my G43 over the P-11 any day and all day.;)

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Howdy, another G43 fanboy, here. 🤣 I did run the Vicker's +2s for a bit, and had no issue with them, JHP or FMJ, as best I can recall; I believe it was Federal HST 124 +P. Only reason I want with smaller extensions or +1s was just that, size. I'd say they're probably one of the most reliable G43 magazine extensions out there, based on my experience, and the experience of many others.

The 43 is an awesome little gun. And it's way more accurate than I am. 😁

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great answers to my questions, and thanks all, I can tell I'm going to enjoy the company in this forum.

I do understand the MagGuts to be a bit more compact, but in my case I'm actually wanting the additional grip space of the Vickers, even more than the additional capacity, for pinky purchase. Very glad to hear the great reviews on the product, and on the 43.

I couldn't imagine a better subcompact handgun for serious business. The reason I tolerated that gargantuan trigger pull on the P11 for many years was that it has something I've rarely found in tiny pistols...100% reliability (except for 12 round mags which are garbage). Now I'm going to have to look into those trigger options lol, but I can already tell the 43 is going to be my BFF as far as CCW goes.

I used to have a 5906 and it's like the M1 Abrams tank of 9 mm pistols. Me and a buddy used to load up handloads so hot case heads would separate and the sides of the cases would split (we liked pushing the envelope on 9mm back then) and it would chew up rounds and spit them out like they were nothing, I think the only mod was a Wolff recoil spring. It was totally reliable, but I always preferred my P226 back then due to weight...until I got my first Glock back in '97, a G20 (range toy), which eventually won me over to the platform. Since then I've always considered the G17 as the essence of what a full sized 9mm pistol should be. I'm now thinking the 43 may be the essence of what a deep cover 9mm should be. I realize many prefer the 26, 19, 43X etc. for general CCW but the single stack and short stature of the 43 puts it in a unique category.

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
I finally picked up a new 43 to replace my ancient Keltec P11 for deep concealment. It's hard to believe I put up with that long heavy trigger for over 20 years, but onto better things and the Keltec can now rest in the bottom of the safe. The most amazing thing about the 43 is that it truly captures the essence of what a Glock is, but at what seems like half scale compared to my G17. Reliability has been 100% after several hundred rounds as expected, and the biggest surprise by far is the accuracy. My Glocks have never been my most accurate pistols, (I know most of that is my brain despite my best efforts), but I still managed a 25 yard group right at 4", just barely bigger than my better Gen 5 G17 groupings. This is the most accurate subcompact I've ever shot at 25 yards.

My lone issue is that with my fat fingers, my pinky is just barely on the mag extension, so that when the gun is fired it slips off leaving me with a two finger grip. This makes for an awkward recovery / readjustment after every shot. At closer ranges it's not as big of a deal but at range it really hurts. Yes it's a CCW gun but I always enjoy shooting at longer distances, for entertainment. I've had a few people recommend Vickers +2 extensions so I ordered them and will give them a try, but I wanted to see if anyone here has installed and put several hundred rounds through them and can share their experiences. While I own handguns from different manufacturers, I prefer Glock reliability for carry, and don't want to do anything to screw with that. I like this gun so much that if I just had another half inch of grip I could seriously carry it as an open carry / main pistol.

Another question, the store I purchased from last week claimed this was a Gen 5 pistol, but I've also been told that it's actually a Gen 4 gun. What is the truth?
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Before I bought my first ever Glock (i.e., Gen Glock 19) years ago, my very first CCW was a S&W 5906. When I found a Kel-Tec P-11 at a local gun show, I bought it to go with my 5906. It served me as my summer CCW for a while, but boy! Did I hate the looong and heavy trigger!:LOL: So, I had replaced P-11 with a S&W 3913.
View attachment 1027739
Kel-Tec P-11 was as small as or could be even smaller than the SIG P365. But I would take choose my G43 over the P-11 any day and all day.;)
I still have my 5906 as well. My old agency allowed us to purchase them when we transitioned to the M&P. I carried a 3913 for a very, very short time. They issued it to detectives. I was working narcs and anyone with a stainless Smith was just advertising that they were cops. So kept up with my Taurus 606, a super shiny, bobbed hammer, DAO .357 mag. No one thought that was a cop gun. Still, if you have the P-11 the M*Carbo kit and trigger upgrade are worth it. Now having said that I would take my G43 over my P-11 as well. I like my P-11, we have history together. Now I'm making that with my G43. I wish it was available in '99.

·
G43 Fanboy
3,018 Posts
I still have my 5906 as well. My old agency allowed us to purchase them when we transitioned to the M&P. I carried a 3913 for a very, very short time. They issued it to detectives. I was working narcs and anyone with a stainless Smith was just advertising that they were cops. So kept up with my Taurus 606, a super shiny, bobbed hammer, DAO .357 mag. No one thought that was a cop gun. Still, if you have the P-11 the M*Carbo kit and trigger upgrade are worth it. Now having said that I would take my G43 over my P-11 as well. I like my P-11, we have history together. Now I'm making that with my G43. I wish it was available in '99.
I sold my P-11 more than 20 years ago. I just could not get over the trigger, and I knew why the previous owner (a retired cop) wanted to sell the gun at a gun show.:LOL: Oh, I also did not like those plastic sights, but unlike Glocks, nice aftermarket sights were not available for the P-11 at least back then… I still have those S&W semi-auto pistols in the safe, though I have not fired them for many years…

Yes, I wish we had the G43 in 1999, too. Back then, my summer EDC was still my Gen 3 G26… Much lighter and concealable than my Gen 19 that I was also carry back then, but the G26 still felt pretty heavy and bulky…. I’m now very happy with my two G43s with MagGuts+1 and MagGuts+2.:)

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have at least 600 rounds through 3 Vickers +2 G43 extensions.

No issues at all. Perfectly reliable. This is with ball ammo and HST 124 and 147 grain ammo.

I am completely confident in them.
It's the same, too, for the Vickers+2 extensions for the Glock 42. Excellent and reliable gear.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My dad has an early P-11 that he still carries on occasion. He’d sent it back for warranty work several years ago, and it was returned with a user friendly trigger. Did nothing for its ability to hit any side of a barn, or roof of floor for thst matter, from the inside, but was better than before.

I also tried the Vickers extensions on my 43. I didn’t find them to feed as reliably as with standard factory mags Although I liked the feel. I was required to carry Speer God Dot G2 147s at the time, and they seemed not to want to feed as smoothly and I had an occasional failure to feed on the range. I think they might work better for me with slightly heavier springs. I’m sort of looking forward to the new Shield 10 rounders for the 43. They are supposed to be about as long as the factory pinky extenders.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I don't believe the new SA mags are 10 round, especially that short. What we've gathered so far is that they're 9 round, and longer than the OEM pinky extension. Unless I missed a very recent new development on their new mags, sadly.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
I'm ok with 8+1 that MagGuts gives me. The MagGuts +2 has been flawless.

Reactions: GlockyQ

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got the Vickers +2 installed and they are perfect! I now have a proper home for my pinky finger. I could truly carry this as a primary pistol now if I wanted to, and the extension has zero impact on concealment for me. Just in love with this little gun, never really felt like this about a subcompact before, nothing else measures up IMO.

*Had to add that I got a good laugh out of the big bold warning on the back of package that the extension must be installed by a professional gunsmith only. I guess that's because of all the folks doing wild things to get a Glock mag disassembled (vice grips, grinding, hammering, shaving, etc.)....so easy to do if you know the technique.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
The 43 and other Slim Line models are neither Gen 4 nor Gen 5, but they are sort of their own generation between Gen 4 and Gen 5. Though some vendors put them in the “Gen 4” category, I think they have most of the features of Gen 5, except the ambi slide stop/release lever and the notorious black surface coating that wears off after firing the very first round. So, they are probably closer to Gen 5 than Gen 4…
I think the 43, 43x/48 are all technically Gen 5, though have some unique characteristics. It is my understanding that one of the main things, if not the main thing, that separates a Gen 4 and a Gen 5 is the trigger housing. On a Gen 5 the the cruciform on the trigger bar slides into a "channel" that has a self contained trigger spring while Gen 4's and earlier have a spring that attaches directly to the trigger bar and then attaches to the trigger housing. Housing and trigger bar from 43x shown 1st image below. A Gen 4, shown subsequently has a spring that connects the trigger bar to the trigger housing, as shown.

Black Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel

Hand Finger Thumb Wrist Wood

Reactions: Desert_Thunder

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Got the Vickers +2 installed and they are perfect! I now have a proper home for my pinky finger. I could truly carry this as a primary pistol now if I wanted to, and the extension has zero impact on concealment for me. Just in love with this little gun, never really felt like this about a subcompact before, nothing else measures up IMO.

*Had to add that I got a good laugh out of the big bold warning on the back of package that the extension must be installed by a professional gunsmith only. I guess that's because of all the folks doing wild things to get a Glock mag disassembled (vice grips, grinding, hammering, shaving, etc.)....so easy to do if you know the technique.
You'd be shocked. 😆

However, yeah the 43 is going to serve you well. Rocking mine today. I simply carry two spares with it most days. Sometimes, like today, just one spare. I found easy ways to IWB two spare mags, and mine are the Pearce +1s, so I have 15 total with one spare, or 22 if I carry two spares. Yeah, a 365 would have 21 with just one spare 10 rounder, but I just love the 43.

I love Glock's minimalist, simple lines, and have always found them to be very attractive guns. I think the 43 is the pinnacle of Glock Hotness. Not to mention it's a solid performer. The reliability issues I had were all from messing around with Mag extensions. I can not say in good faith that the pistol itself, has ever had a failure, with all OEM magazines.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great information in this thread! When I think of Gen 5, the trigger is the main thing for me, so very interesting that this is more of Gen 5 in that regard. I can see it's somewhat of the odd man out in the lineup though. I too think in a sense this is the pinnacle of Glockness, all that goodness distilled into the smallest possible professional-grade package. When I consider a gun's functional reliability I won't count malfunctions against it if the gun has been modified, including non-OEM mag mods or even when using non-OEM mags. So whenever I play with non-OEM extensions I have to do a lot of testing to feel confident that I have 100% reliability, and I'm sure most here do the same.

Last night I was watching the entire unedited video of the New Mexico police shooting where a really bad cartel guy executed a young highway patrol guy with an AR 15 during a traffic stop, and then led other officers on a high speed chase that ended in an incredibly intense (though short) gun battle. After PIT'ing the guy's truck, a Las Cruces cop took a 556 round himself and fell, nearly dying before standing back up to mag dump on the bad guy with his mid-sized Glock loaded with full size mags (odd?), and then quickly reloaded to prepare for more potential shots that thankfully weren't needed. It's pretty easy to see why a cop needs all the capacity he can get with a full size Glock, but for the average non-LEO 9 rounds in a 43 would probably serve 99.9% of real world situations, and an extra mag should provide any additional required comfort. I might wear this pistol OWB instead of my G17 now and then just because lol.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts