Glock 43 Magazine Release Issue for Left Handers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by jfranks64, Apr 30, 2015.

Tags:
  1. jfranks64

jfranks64

Hello Everyone! :wavey:
    I recently purchased a new Glock G43 from my LGS. :highfive:

I am a left handed shooter, thus I reversed the magazine release button on my new G43. My G43 has an issue with either of my factory issued magazines hanging up on the reversed magazine release when being inserted. My G43 did not have this problem when set up for a right handed shooter (from the factory). I triple checked the mag lever spring rod for proper installation.

I can tell you that I have inspected both of my magazines. Of note:
    The front of the G43 magazine does have different left/right profiles near the front feed lips. I will try to take some photos (or a video) and submit them for your review.
    The magazine release button does have a sharp corner that (when installed for left handed shooters) is now on the same side of the magazine well as a cutout that is located on the left front side of the G43 magazine. This cutout is not located on the rights side of the G43 magazine. I believe that this is the root cause of the problem, but first I will have to do a lot more testing to be sure of my initial diagnosis.

I plan on calling Glock Customer Service tomorrow to ask their opinion concerning this issue.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? :dunno:

To anyone else that also owns a Glock G43:
    Would you be willing to switch your magazine release and see if you can duplicate the magazine insertion issue that I am experiencing?

2. Bruce M

Bruce M

3. jfranks64

jfranks64

Thanks for the heads up Bruce! :cool:

I can see from that link that many other G43 owners have experienced this issue. Glad that I'm not the only one and that Glock is looking into this issue.

The minor glitch aside ... I really love my G43. It will be used for CC rotation (along with my M&P Shield). Both guns are excellent choices for my requirements.

4. Bruce M

Bruce M

I think it is interesting that your issue happens with the magazine release reversed but the other ones I have read seem to be when it is oriented for right handed users.

I have been lucky I guess as I do not seem to have the issue.

5. jfranks64

jfranks64

I went a different route compared to others to fix my G43 magazine insertion issue.

Instead of modifying my G43's magazine catch, I filed a steeper angle on both the left and right front edges of my G43 magazines where they would hit on the magazine catch during insertion. This slight modification has cured my insertion issue. I have now cycled both magazines at least 200 times into the G43 frame without any issues.

I am now willing to trust my life to the G43. 100+ rounds of zero malfunction operations to date.

My magazines were hanging up upon the magazine catch and the different cutaway that is located on the top left front (as viewed from the rear of the gun) of my magazines.

I will try to post photos (once I am allowed to here on this forum) of my magazine modifications. I will also reverse my magazine catch back to factory installation for right handed shooters to verify proper operation.

NOTE: My modification did not require filing any part of the metal frame of the magazines. I just had to file the exterior polymer coating.

I hope that this post helps anyone else that experiences this issue.

6. Sgt. A

Sgt. A

Recently saw this problem with G26 Gen 5

7. Sgt. A

Sgt. A

Any photos of this issue?

8. jfranks64

jfranks64

I have photos, but it is a moot point as of today.

I had one of the first production releases of the G43. I purchased it back in April 2015.

Like I originally thought, it ended up being a magazine design issue.
    Glock recalled all original issue G43 magazines a few months after I reported my issue to their customer service.
    Glock replaced all of my G43 magazines and the problem disappeared and hasn't occurred since.

All of my new Glock G43 Magazines all have a "33388-01" part #.

9. BillG174

BillG174

I had the same issue with one of my G30 mags with the mag release moved to the right side as I am left handed. I could never figure out what the problem was. It finally fixed itself after many magazine insertions.

10. Sgt. A

Sgt. A

I used an old G26 mag for a test - Using a Dremel tool, took off just a bit of the offending edge. Seems to have solved the issue.