Glock 42?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by Lineside, Mar 21, 2020.

1. zaitcev

zaitcev

The answer very much depends on the size and style of your pants. Frankly I'm thinking about getting away from pocket carrying G42 and going IWB, which permits longer magazines.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  2. zaitcev

zaitcev

There's no DA in the Mustang/P238/Micro/911 family, it's SA-only. So, you have to carry it cocked-and-locked.

3. Lineside

Lineside

Thank you. I guess what I was getting at was can I load a round and decock the hammer. Then the gun can not fire and cock the hammer when I’m ready to fire. And is it safe to carry this way. Thanks.

4. Lineside

Lineside

So I have been carrying my friends g42 all day today pocket carry in my bodyguard holster. The holster is too small for the gun but keeps the trigger covered. I’m going to shoot it some more tomorrow. So far I’m really loving this handgun. It pocket carries good (not great) for me but fits my hand night and day difference than the BG380 and the trigger is much much better

Mr. Pick, snowbird.40 and ShaneS like this.
  5. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

On the LCP II, the trigger if great, you can grip the gun, you need a tight grip as it kicks harder than most. You can mitigate the kicking and improve the grip with a Hogue Handsall grip sleeve.
    With 238's, Mustang's, 911's hammer down on a live round is dangerous, better to go empty chamber and just rack it, it is easy to rack and faster than thumbing back the hammer.

6. CBennett

CBennett

For me(and im not a big dude and I dont wear tight fitting pants) at 5'9" 200 lbs wearing relaxed fit Wrangler jeans I just cant pocket carry that too big,bulky,uncomfortable. And its just that odd size that it fits nothing im trying to do..for Pocket carry I have a .380 TCP and or LCP thats small enough to easily pocket carry...if Im carrying something the Glock 42's size im carrying a 9MM instead and not in my pocket.

45caldan likes this.
  7. CBennett

CBennett

True lol I originally got the little TCP and LCP for the Wife thats what she said she wanted..she HATED the recoil...even I consider it a bit "harsh" (and I dont shoot big caliber handguns because I just have no need or reason for one largest I have need is .357 Mag) so while it does the job as pocket carry its not a "pleasant" shooter ;)

8. 45caldan

45caldan

I mentioned in my post that my pocket carry is a Kimber Micro 380.
    The Sig P238, SA 911 and (of course) Colt Mustang should be same.
    The recoil is very mild compared to other 380 pocket pistols such as LCPs....

Pandaz3 and CBennett like this.
  9. ShaneS

ShaneS Millennium Member

I am another who doesn’t care for 1911 type pocket size pistols because of the potential safety issues, especially with new or inexperienced owners not familiar with single action pistols.

I have inexperienced women who bring them to my LTC classes regularly, and it always concerns me for their safety.

I like the Sig P238 and it shoots well. I won’t carry one or recommend it to others, though.

I am a big fan of the G42. It’s a little big compared to the LCP, but I pocket carry it every day comfortably. It’s recoil is mininal and I shoot it well.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  10. CBennett

CBennett

ye
    Yes it is/was I also used to have a Colt Mustang II .380 I know it was more mild shooting than the TCP/LCP is that said im guessing because it was heavier.

11. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

My Mustang is the XSP version , now called the Lite, it is polymer and closer to other polymer 380's. Still a soft shooter. The XSP has 'GI' style sights and I find it's accuracy mediocre, but acceptable. It has that prancing Colt and that alone makes me happy. Reliable
    The 911 has better sights, great accuracy uses my spare Mustang magazines. It moved to the head of the table for me.

I have other guns I could recommend,

V Gehts likes this.
  12. rds95991

rds95991 NRA Benefactor

Do you dress to the gun or arm based on what you dress. Which guns in which calibers are you proficient at? Which guns feel right by pointing naturally for you?

13. Pandaz3

Pandaz3

For me I have several guns each in 380, 9 MM, 357 Sig, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. I do shoot them all some, shoot nines more for cost. The skill of draw, present, aim. and fire are nearly the same except for follow up shots, which are caliber /gun specific.

I tend to carry 40's nearly 90% 380's 9 % and the other two maybe 1 %. In winter clothing I might add a six shot snubby revolver in 38 or 327 Federal.

I usually go to two or three courses a year, my skill deteriorates faster each year.

I am comfortable with any of my handguns.

I don't like Glock compact's like G-19 or 23 as they don't feel good to me. S&W and SA Polymer for the most part in 40.

zaitcev likes this.
  14. Lineside

Lineside

I’m very new to 1911, but I’ve decided against the SA911. So far carrying my friends 42 yesterday and today I love it. It’s so much more comfortable to hold and draw than my bodyguard. It’s slightly less comfortable to pocket carry but significantly better in every other way. I’m going to hate to have to give it back tomorrow.

snowbird.40 and ShaneS like this.
  15. Lineside

Lineside

Honestly I arm based on how I dress. I’ve shot 9mm but honestly prefer a smaller and lighter firearm for CC so that usually means a 380. I like a 45 for the house though.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  16. woodlands747

woodlands747

Can’t go wrong with the G42. I love mine and after considerable trial and error determined it to be the most reliable and comfortable to shoot out of all the .380’s. I’ll take reliability over being slightly bigger any day.
    Carry it daily.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    snowbird.40 and ShaneS like this.
  17. V Gehts

V Gehts

WOW.....a Mustang with a poly frame....News to me!
    Now I gotta go find one and shoot it.

For me,you can’t go wrong with those metal framed Micro’s...et: SA, Sig, Kimber an Colt,
    all are Sweet soft accurate shooters.

18. Lineside

Lineside

Well I had to give the 42 back to my friend today. After pocket carrying all weekend and some shooting I can say this handgun is great. I will be buying one soon. It’s definitely bigger than my BG380 in the pocket, but it shoots much better. This seems like a handgun that would be fun at the range for a couple hundred rounds.

19. alien1

alien1

Easy gun to train with. I’ve been buying 380 ammo 2-3K at a time. Yes it costs a little more but the only downside I know is the 6-8 rd mags.

snowbird.40 likes this.
  20. snowbird.40

snowbird.40

OP - I think you are making a well-informed decision with the purchase of a Glock 42. I bought my first one a week ago and have only run 100+ rounds through it, but I was impressed with the groupings at 7 yards shooting freestyle. I also pocket carried it a few times (just to test it) and it felt fine; bigger than my LCPIIs, but very manageable and discreet.

Good luck; let us know how you like shooting it.